Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some sockets stopped working.

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭

So there I am sitting there and I switch on a lamp and a number, not all, sockets upstairs stopped working. The TV then flicked back on and then off like giving it's last breath.

On the fuse board there's no tripped switch. The lamp stayed on so I took the lamp and tried it on other sockets so it's definitely the sockets.

Any suggestions how I can find the problem and fix it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Sometimes MCBs may not look tripped, turn them all off and on..if not open the socket and check for loose wires..be careful it could be still be live

• Registered Users Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Autonomous wrote: »
    Sometimes MCBs may not look tripped, turn them all off and on..if not open the socket and check for loose wires..be careful it could be still be live

I don't know about loose wires instantly coming loose in 5 double sockets at the exact same time. There's 7 upstairs and 5 stopped.

Also I've turned off all the switches at the box and back on. Same problem persists.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I don't know about loose wires instantly coming loose in 5 double sockets at the exact same time. There's 7 upstairs and 5 stopped.

Also I've turned off all the switches at the box and back on. Same problem persists.

Sockets have looped wires, all it takes is one loose wire to knock off a few sockets...trust me I've seen cables the were never properly secured in the 1st place do this..

Autonomous wrote: »
    Sockets have looped wires, all it takes is one loose wire to knock off a few sockets...trust me I've seen cables the were never properly secured in the 1st place do this..

Looped eh. That solved that. Figured if they were looped why would one socket be gone so started with the working one assuming the power would be looped from it. Two days ago the room was wallpapered. Obviously they pulled out the socket a bit and a wire came loose. God damn it.

Thanks for the looped suggestion. Would never have thought of it.

No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op this happened to me last wk, a socket in corner of a room downstairs and one directly above it upstairs stopped working, all others were fine, anyway after much messing with fuses and trip switches i had to call an electrician, turned out all he had to do was replace one of the trip switches in the fusebox, only cost me 20quid(but i know the spark) its only a 10min job anyway

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Op this happened to me last wk, a socket in corner of a room downstairs and one directly above it upstairs stopped working, all others were fine, anyway after much messing with fuses and trip switches i had to call an electrician, turned out all he had to do was replace one of the trip switches in the fusebox, only cost me 20quid(but i know the spark) its only a 10min job anyway

Well at least, for once, I can say it cost me nothing other than knowing that a painter/decorator shouldn't be trusted with removing wall sockets. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The wire shouldn't have come out easily.

The decorators did you a favour in highlighting what was a loose connection anyway. (unless they disconnected and reconnected the sockets!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Well at least, for once, I can say it cost me nothing other than knowing that a painter/decorator shouldn't be trusted with removing wall sockets. :D

Badly connected sockets are not the decorators fault.

Unless they disconnected and connected back, although seems unlikely.

Advertisement