Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Options To Heat a 20' x 30' shed

• 03-11-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I have a shed that gets very little solar gain and am looking for a number of ways to increase heat/light into it.

It is a cavity construction with insulated plasterboard finish on interior, 20' x 30' with pitched roof. 300mm insulation above ceiling.

Temp in summer is 15c at best and in winter around 9c. Temp tends to stay steady. For the moment I want to heat it and maybe look at a double door with glazing and a couple of roof lite windows in the summer to let in light and increase solar gain.

Options are Storage Heaters? Stove ? Paraffin heaters? . It is not occupied most of the time but the lack of light / heat causes a mold to grow on certain items.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 Brian Flat Roofing

Hi, this can be the problem with outdoor storage sheds insulated too well, the heat cant get in but at the same time either can the frost. Some people buy the oil filled electric heaters which are a good job but they will be needed all year round. I would recommend an insulated Flat Roof skylight dome and agree that the pvc double doors well sealed would be a great job.

Brian Roofing Systems

• Registered Users Posts: 41 self3137

Cheers Brian, I think you are right in you assessment. Getting more light and sun in via glazing whether that be roof lights or a double pvc door is stage 1 and then see what heating system is needed. Might have to skip to stage 2 this time of the year.

What is the most economical to use a storage heater , super ser , or oil filled radiator?

It would also be interested if someone could calculate the solar gain if I were to replace the single shed door with no glass to a double door with glass on top half. Easterly facing.

Advertisement