Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Media Player

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

I am an English language teacher and was hoping to use a DVD supplement in my lesson tomorrow (a DVD that comes with my student book). But for some reason when I was trying it out in advance today, I couldn't get it to work. I was trying to follow the advice ib bold (below) to rectify the problem.

I have followed the advice so far up to the point that says:

'If you aren't able to locate and install the correct driver software, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website for further assistance'.

If you don't have a sound device installed on your computer, install a sound device, and then try to play the file again. For details, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website.

Where can I find such a website? Sorry, I am a total technophobe, so this is all just jargon to me. What does it mean 'if you don't have a sound device....' Surely all computers have one, no?

Totally confused.

Any help appreciated.....and sorry for sounding stupid!!

Windows Media Player error C00D11B1
    Windows Media Player can't play the file.

Things to try:

Use Windows Update, or go to the sound device manufacturer's website to see if an updated driver is available.

Use Device Manager to check the status of your sound device.

To check the status of your sound device

Search your PC for Device Manager, and then open it.

Expand Sound, video and game controllers, and then look for the name of your sound device.

Do one of the following:

If your sound device is listed but the icon includes a red "X," the device has been turned off. To turn it on, right-click the icon, and then click Enable.

If your sound device isn't listed, expand Other devices or System devices and, if Multimedia Audio Controller appears in the list, right-click the icon, and then click Update Driver Software. Follow the on-screen instructions to search for and install the driver software.

If you aren't able to locate and install the correct driver software, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website for further assistance.

If you don't have a sound device installed on your computer, install a sound device, and then try to play the file again. For details, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website.

If you're trying to play a file on the Internet, try again later. The server might be temporarily unavailable or there might be a network problem.

If you're trying to play an MP3 file that contains compressed ID3 headers, make a copy of the file, and then use a non-Microsoft ID3 tag-editing program to remove or reset the file's ID3 headers.

The ID3 header is a portion of the file that stores the song's album information (for example, the song name, artist name, album name, and genre). This information is sometimes called a tag. After you remove the ID3 headers, Windows Media Player should be able to play the MP3 file.

Warning

Trying to remove ID3 headers might damage the file and make it unplayable. Therefore, always make a copy of the file before you edit it.

If this solution doesn't resolve the problem, the file might be damaged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What kind of DVD is it ? Video - it will play in a normal DVD Player ? Or DATA - you can explore the files on the disk in Windows Explorer ?

Insert the DVD into the computers Drive and then open Computer on the Desktop (Windows 7) or click the Yellow Folder icon on the task bar (Windows 8), locate the DVD in there and then Right-Click it and click Open from the menu. Is there a Video_TS folder in there or are there files like Autorun or and Application you can run ?

It's possible MediaPlayer just can't open the files because of a missing Codec. Tell us what you see from the above paragraph and maybe we can help.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭whizbang

Download and install VLC (Videolan media player)

Its almost flawless program, and its free.

Is it a new computer -laptop?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm the basic version will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

whizbang wrote: »
    Download and install VLC (Videolan media player)

Its almost flawless program, and its free.

Is it a new computer -laptop?

No it's about 6 years old.

Time for a new one.

Yeah, I have VLC on my computer already, but I still have the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Thanks everyone.

I don't have the DVD with me now as I can't take it out of the school.

Hopefully, I can figure it out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

VLC is a great application. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Hi,

I am an English language teacher and was hoping to use a DVD supplement in my lesson tomorrow (a DVD that comes with my student book). But for some reason when I was trying it out in advance today, I couldn't get it to work. I was trying to follow the advice ib bold (below) to rectify the problem.

I have followed the advice so far up to the point that says:

'If you aren't able to locate and install the correct driver software, go to your computer manufacturer's or sound device manufacturer's website for further assistance'.

Most computers would contain some audio hardware built-in to the main board of the computer.
    Is there a headphone socket at the back of the computer? (3.5mm to which you'd be able to connect your common variety speakers or headphones)
    (There might be one built into the DVD drive also. That wouldn't be of use).

If headphones are connected can you play a sound and hear it?

If you can provide the
    a) version of windows running,
    b) the make and model of the computer
    we could point you to the manufacturers support page. The NCTE usually limit the PCs that a school are allowed to buy, but there is some variety.

Alternatively the sound device might have been disabled by another teacher to prevent computer sounds during the class.

Can you confirm that when following the earlier instructions, when you went to Device Manager, that you could see the sound device listed? And it didn't have a X or small down arrow overlaid.

Advertisement