Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxes for moving appartments

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Where to get the boxes to organize my stuff before the move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Go to any large supermarket and just ask them for boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Why are ya moving anyways & where ya going?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

IKEA, cardboard boxes, 2 for €6, good and sturdy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

fussyonion wrote: »
    Go to any large supermarket and just ask them for boxes.

Go in a few days before you need the boxes and ask if a few can be left aside for you later or tomorrow and make sure you pick them up, otherwise call in between 8 and 10 pm, there should be some then.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've moved around so many times in 20 years - 3 times in the past 2 years - and I've learned cardboard boxes aren't the best- get the plastic ones- no fears of the bottom ripping and plates and glasses smashing or anything - (yes that has happened) - and cardboard can weaken and rip over time.... even if you tape it to death!! : P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

Google any combination of "cardboard box" & "Ireland" and there are lots of suppliers, I'm not endorsing anyone in particular. I picked up 10 medium sized boxes and a few big ones, tape and bubble wrap for about €80 recently delivered to Dublin from an Irish online site.

Also agree with the plastic boxes for certain content, but they are about €20 a piece and also don’t fold away for recycling after the move so not quite as practical as the good old cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

supermarkets would have strong boxes from wine bottles. don't fo for too big, a person's inclined to overfill and they get too heavy.

good luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We moved recently and used a combination of (a) supermarket boxes (b) a moving pack of boxes we bought in Homebase and (c) proper moving boxes from a moving company that my BIL had recently used.

The proper moving boxes were the best, these are really strong cardboard. I wouldn't really get supermarket boxes again. The odd sizes and mishmash of quality makes them awkward to stack etc. best to get all your boxes the same size.

If you want plastic crates for some stuff, IKEA do lidded versions at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

You can rent those lidded plastic crates too at fairly reasonable prices. As well as protecting the contents much better than cardboard boxes, they are ALOT easier to stack in a small van without disaster striking.

You can get bubble wrap much cheaper in pound shops like Dealz than say Tesco or Homebase/Argos. Rule of thumb is you'll need at least twice as much as you think you'll need!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Tenjose is not moving now, because you all have made it too complicated for her. Shame on all of ya with your bleeding boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Argos do moving packs of different sized boxes. I got the medium ones- wouldn't recommend the large ones as even the medium ones couldn't be filled much without being too heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Argos do some cheap and cheerful and not so cheap cardboard boxes for moving. Once you don't overload them, they're not too bad and work pretty well (or have done for me without any issues, and most of mine would be full of books.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ruarua

If you're going the free cardboard box route, i've always found off-license boxes to be v strong. all that booze is heavy.

happy packing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Put a 'wanted' post up on freecycle. That's how I gave my last lot away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

xper wrote: »
    You can rent those lidded plastic crates too at fairly reasonable prices. As well as protecting the contents much better than cardboard boxes, they are ALOT easier to stack in a small van without disaster striking.

You can get bubble wrap much cheaper in pound shops like Dealz than say Tesco or Homebase/Argos. Rule of thumb is you'll need at least twice as much as you think you'll need!

This is a great idea,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

ruarua wrote: »
    If you're going the free cardboard box route, i've always found off-license boxes to be v strong. all that booze is heavy.

happy packing!

I was gonna say this, and another tip is that wine boxes are small, so easy to handle and will never get too heavy. We made the mistake of having huge boxes which when we filled them were way too heavy to lift!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Great point there, stick to small or medium sized boxes as they generally won't get too heavy. I only used the large boxes for duvets etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Any decent hardware store will rent boxes to you.

Or removal companies will also rent boxes, and they will usually supply them free if you use their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

I have moved house 5 times in the last 4 years so i have learnt the following lessons from long days of packing, moving and unpacking again.

A collection of random sized boxes from supermarkets will break your heart. It's too hard to stack them neatly when preparing for moving day and it's hard to stack them efficiently into the moving van (more trips in the van = more time, more expense and more stress)

Even worse than random sized boxes are boxes with no lids, the contents will fall out or get wet, and you can't stack them more than a few boxes high

Further down the chain are plastic bags, avoid packing stuff into plastic bags at all costs, they take up so much room in the moving van / floor, you can't put stack them at all, and they are really horrible to unpack as everything gets all jumbled up and you have no idea what is inside it.

other tips: do a big clearout of old stuff before you move, i have often thrown stuff out during the unpacking phase thinking, why did I go to all the effort of packing, moving and unpacking this thing when I don't even want it.

Best of luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I've used these before and found them great http://www.boxdepot.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement