Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning languages through reading

• 04-11-2014 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Does anyone try reading books in their target language as a means to improve your level or to learn new words? I've got a few Russian childrens books and I'm going to give it a go at reading them.

Is it really worthwhile though if you're constantly referring to a dictionary? What methods do you like to use to improve your vocabulary?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

Kirby42 wrote: »
    Does anyone try reading books in their target language as a means to improve your level or to learn new words? I've got a few Russian childrens books and I'm going to give it a go at reading them.

Is it really worthwhile though if you're constantly referring to a dictionary? What methods do you like to use to improve your vocabulary?
    Yes, it is worthwhile. It has been demonstrated to be the fastest grammar and vocabulary accusation method, not speaking as most people believe. Reading puts the words and grammar in your head and speaking increases the delivery rate of this knowledge, i.e. speaking brings it from passive to active. It is important to read with a dictionary and a grammar. It is very slow at first, but well worth it.
    Reading helps internalise the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niallcon4re

I think reading is essential, hence why we read books in our first language when children. It is needed to learn vocabulary, understanding those words in conversation is the next step (I usually need a couple of seconds to recognise a new word I've read when it is used in conversation ) and then when speaking you need to push yourself to use specific vocab instead of "good" "big" etc .

But yes, reading is essential but you also have to know how the new words sound (I don't know if Russian is phonetic or not).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd agree about the need for being able to pronounce the words. It adds memorisation and breaks any inital bad habits. Google translate is handy for getting some measure of what a word sounds like.

As well, offhand has anyone tried audio books so as to get a measure of a target language patterns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I read in the foreign language, yes; it takes time and effort. I work with short news reports as I want something non-overwhelming in terms of time. Reading with a dictionary takes a long time but it is absolutely worth it because it gets you an ongoing feel for the structure of the language. I'm fortunate in that the news reports I am reading are also read on the site where I get the news reports - they are special simplified reports for learners. This is for Finnish by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

I think reading is essential, hence why we read books in our first language when children. It is needed to learn vocabulary, understanding those words in conversation is the next step (I usually need a couple of seconds to recognise a new word I've read when it is used in conversation ) and then when speaking you need to push yourself to use specific vocab instead of "good" "big" etc .

But yes, reading is essential but you also have to know how the new words sound (I don't know if Russian is phonetic or not).

I have found Russian quite phonetic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement