Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 24-70 2.8 MKII V Tamron 24-70 2.8

• 04-11-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

hi there,
    Anyone any experience with both of these lenses.. I really want a 24-70 2.8 lens.. I keep changing my mind..
    One minute I think I'll go with the Tamron as its gotten fairly decent reviews and is half the price.. It has image stabilisation.. But I'm not sure I would benefit from that..
    The next minute I think I want the canon as it seems to have the best reviews for sharpness and auto focus, which are both pretty important . But again.. It's twice the price..
    I read one review and I decide Tamron, next review, I decide canon.. I would have to save a bit more if I was going down the canon route.. But don't want to just buy the Tamron, just because it's cheaper..
    I am a newborn/baby/toddler photographer so want a lens for close up and also for wide for the babies on beanbags or props on the floor etc taken from above..
    Any advice, experience would be greatly appreciated :)
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

I had the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 and I was happy with them. They are sharp, feel good, no visible CA and didn't have any issues with AF. They do however have a strong vignetting (full-frame) and some distortion quite visible on the short end... One other thing, the focus ring rotates opposite to canon lens, not an issue, just... :P
    After a freak accident I bid farewell to the tamron, and then had the chance to use the canon 24-70 f/2.8 mkII, on a loan, don't think they are a world apart. Again all good with the AF, no CA, superb sharpness, less visible distortion even at 24mm. The image quality however I do believe it's better in the canon. When shooting low key with the tamron I could see some sort of digital noise in the dark areas, not a big problem thought but it's not visible on the canon.
    In the end, and because a fast aperture isn't my priority on this zoom lens, I end it up buying neither, of them but the canon 24-70mm f/4 IS with dedicated macro mode :cool: Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Thanks a million for getting back to me :)

Can handle the vignetting etc... But I had read that the tamron wasn't all that sharp. Did you find it sharp? I will be using it for portraits mainly so won't those eyes tack sharp!

Big price difference though eh?

Want the 2.8 :)

Center frame is probably sharp as the canon, towards the edges... no.
    Since you are in the market to buy, go to your local camera shop and rent it, they will deduct the renting fee on your buy

Towards the edges not too important for me in relation to portraits..

Having said that.. if placing a child off centre in the rule of thirds.. that actually might be very important :confused:

• Advertisement

SusieQue wrote: »
    Having said that.. if placing a child off centre in the rule of thirds.. that actually might be very important :confused:
    Lens sharpness is overrated, once the image is in focus you can make all the adjustments in post-production.

Here is an example with canon 50mm f1.4 shoot @ 1/160 f/9

15718461885_7c489a5df0.jpg

Advertisement