Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to leave my VTOS course but I am afraid

Options
  • 04-11-2014 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I am going to be honest here and say straight out i did no research what so ever on the course that I am on before i applied and I regret very much going into it.
    I applied for this course to get out of a rut I have been in for the past year and a half and reality has just hit hard now.
    The truth is I hate it. I hate it because i have attended college 3 times now and completed the years i did. I worked as an assistant manager before and other jobs that have really good potential (but i just could not find work!) and while im in the course i am doing now im surrounded by leaving cert (straight out of secondary ) students and i cant stand to face college again. Ive missed loads of days and even got a warning.
    Im missing days mainly because i suffer with severe alopecia and im attending the hospital and clinics. Plus going back into the public has really took a turn on my confidence with alopecia. I cant seem to get myself to feel the way i use to.
    i was thinking about just getting a retail job while i can just to keep me going because ijust have no drive for that course. If i did i would go in.

i want to leave, mid term has ended and i want to leave and get Christmas work if i can. Should i hunt for work for Christmas and when and if i get it should i leave the course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

misscpmfan wrote: »
    Should i hunt for work for Christmas and when and if i get it should i leave the course?

This is a decision only you can make, I think if you are really unhappy then you should leave. Is there any possibility of you transfering into another more appropriate course within the same institution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭misscpmfan

bluemartin wrote: »
    This is a decision only you can make, I think if you are really unhappy then you should leave. Is there any possibility of you transfering into another more appropriate course within the same institution?

I am going to say it to the course administrator tomorrow and hopefully there is something else. I thought about that this morning too, i dont know what to do if they are not able to do that.
    im afraid of upsetting my parents too, they want me to get a good job and show so enthusiasm but i just cant if i am not whole heartedly into the course :(

Your parents would want you to be happy more than anything. If there is no suitable course to suit your interest and abilities then you can always try next year. Alternatively you could try Solas, I am not sure how they set up these days.

Chosing an educational course is not like going into a restaurant and trying the first thing on the menu, you have to give it considerable thought and speak to career advisors etc. What are you talents and natural abilities, what do you enjoy doing more than anything else?

bluemartin wrote: »
    What are you talents and natural abilities, what do you enjoy doing more than anything else?

I attended the same college in 2011 and studied art and it was the best time of my life.
    I was going to go to dun lapghire (spelled that wrong sorry) but i was working as a manager at the time and it was promising. I also loved the job to be honest. It was within an opticians.
    the place is closed now though. I like art but i dont think i will ever pursue it more.
    right now i just want a job that pays higher than the dole. At least until i have proper drive to go to college.
    i mostly did this course to keep my parents happy and the previous courses i did were ro keep me busy until i could find work but i have bad luck in that area

misscpmfan wrote: »
    i mostly did this course to keep my parents happy and the previous courses i did were ro keep me busy until i could find work but i have bad luck in that area

You need to start doing things for you not for anybody else. otherwise you will find yourself in the same situation in ten years times, going around in circles and acheving nothing.

Go and speak with your current tutors tomorrow and see how they can help you. If it is not possible to transfer you will have to make the decision to leave your current course, indeed you have no buisness being there if you are not enjoying it or even attending classes.

You should beable to pick up some temporary work in the run up to Christmas but bear in mind there is alot of people competing for scarce jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

With college, it's an advantage to know what you want to do for the rest of your life/forseeable future, as you will be focussed on that one area for a quite few years.

With time off, you can look around, and probably make a more educated decision as to what it is that you want to do (If you don't know or have an idea). If you are genuinely looking for something that interests you, and if you have an ambition to succeed, you will find something.
    Better to do something like that, instead of giving your money away and wasting your time doing something you already acknowledge that you hate. It sounds like another year in college would just be a waste of both, until you know what you want to do.

I will do that and thank you very much for listening and replying, it helped me a lot, much appreciated ðŸ‘

Advertisement