Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few queries on driving test (Waiting times and test)

• 04-11-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm a learner driver and I have completed my 12 EDT lessons and I have my own car. I've been driving about 9 months. (Not everyday, lessons mostly and sometimes my parents) and I'd consider myself a confident driver at this stage. (Not cocky - Confident). I just need to brush up on a few things like reversing into a parking space and parallel parking. It's mostly parking really :P

Now it's come to the stage where I really need to get my test done. I live in Galway and work just outside the city, about 15km and the buses are becoming more and more unreliable, some not even showing. Late, etc.

Just a few questions I have:

How long do people normally have to wait to hear back from the test center about a date?
    I booked mine about a month a go but haven't even heard a word from them.

Would this case counted as an emergency test in their standard? If so, would I get a test quite soon if I rang them and told them the situation? Or would they just laugh at me?

I have no tax on my car because it's new and I have to wait for the log book. Would they fail me because of this or would it be taken into consideration seeing as I can't tax it until I get it? Everything else is perfect on the car. I have NCT and Insurance.

Having a fully qualified driver with you before you start your test (Excluding the instructor)
    Somebody said to me that you have to have a driver there with you before you start your test?
    Could I not just get someone to park my car outside the test center the night before, or the morning and leave it there. Then I can just go to the car (Test center is literally a 5 minute walk from my house)

Position of L plates:
    I've heard position of L-plates have to be exact? Is this true?
    I have one top right of my back window and one magnectic one on the top right of my bonnet (The sticky one fell off in the rain first day I had it)

If I have anymore questions I can think of I'll put them in the comments!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

I feel you on the parking thing - as this isn't in the test it's often skipped by instructors. Since passing this is something I've had to learn myself and avoid reverse parking at all costs lol.

Wait times can be seen here - http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/
    As you can see Galway is currently 9 weeks, so you'll need to wait a bit longer. If you need one sooner I'd ring them and see what can be done.

In terms of your Tax - yes they would not conduct the test and they SUPER strict on this. Even if your car is taxed and insured etc but you don't have the certs up on display they won't conduct the test and you lose your fee.

Never heard the one about having someone with you before you start the test. But as long as you aren't seen driving the car alone I don't see how this can be an issue.

In regards of L plates check here:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/finalchecks.pdf

"The vehicle must display ‘L’ plates front and rear
    (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not
    less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white
    background and a border of at least 2 centimetres).
    Learner permit holders for motorcycle licence
    category AM,A1, A2, or A, must when driving such
    a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard (a
    high-visibility vest or jacket) bearing the letter ‘L’
    not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white
    background, in clearly visible vertical positions front
    and rear worn over the chest clothing. L plates and
    tabards must be in good condition. In the case of a
    test with a trailer, an L plate must be displayed on the
    rear of the trailer"

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You must have your tax disc displayed to sit your test. They are very strict on this. Just showing them your paperwork, or explaining your situation is not enough. You must have valid discs for tax, insurance and NCT displayed on the car. If you don't, the test will be canceled, you'll lose your date and your money & you have to reapply.

Don't worry about parallel parking or reversing into parking spaces. While they are important things to be able to do, you will not be tested on them during your test. The only parking that will be marked on test day, is your parking at the test centre itself & how you pull into and away from the curb, when doing the 3 point turn & reverse around the corner manouvers.

On test day, they don't pay any attention to who is with you, or how you got to the test centre. If you chose to drive to/from the test centre unaccompanied, that is up to you. If you get stopped by the Guards, you'll be liable for the usual penalties and fines, but the test centre staff don't really care how you got there. It's not their job to enforce the law.

Give them a ring and see what the deal is being given a date. A month seems a long time not to hear anything. But I'd give Shannon a ring too and find out what is going on with your tax disc too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Craftylee wrote: »
    I feel you on the parking thing - as this isn't in the test it's often skipped by instructors. Since passing this is something I've had to learn myself and avoid reverse parking at all costs lol.

Wait times can be seen here - http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/Test-Waiting-Times/
    As you can see Galway is currently 9 weeks, so you'll need to wait a bit longer. If you need one sooner I'd ring them and see what can be done.

In terms of your Tax - yes they would not conduct the test and they SUPER strict on this. Even if your car is taxed and insured etc but you don't have the certs up on display they won't conduct the test and you lose your fee.

Never heard the one about having someone with you before you start the test. But as long as you aren't seen driving the car alone I don't see how this can be an issue.

In regards of L plates check here:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/finalchecks.pdf

"The vehicle must display ‘L’ plates front and rear
    (a rectangular plate or sign bearing the letter ‘L’ not
    less than fifteen centimetres high in red on a white
    background and a border of at least 2 centimetres).
    Learner permit holders for motorcycle licence
    category AM,A1, A2, or A, must when driving such
    a vehicle display a yellow fluorescent tabard (a
    high-visibility vest or jacket) bearing the letter ‘L’
    not less than 15 centimetres high in red on a white
    background, in clearly visible vertical positions front
    and rear worn over the chest clothing. L plates and
    tabards must be in good condition. In the case of a
    test with a trailer, an L plate must be displayed on the
    rear of the trailer"

Good luck!

The parking thing is a nightmare. More time should really be spent on this however, I guess I can put time aside and teach myself when I pass.

Guess I'll wait till I get my log book before I arrange a date! And if worst comes to worst I'll rent out my driving instructors car but I've already spent enough money to be quite honest :P
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    You must have your tax disc displayed to sit your test. They are very strict on this. Just showing them your paperwork, or explaining your situation is not enough. You must have valid discs for tax, insurance and NCT displayed on the car. If you don't, the test will be canceled, you'll lose your date and your money & you have to reapply.

Don't worry about parallel parking or reversing into parking spaces. While they are important things to be able to do, you will not be tested on them during your test. The only parking that will be marked on test day, is your parking at the test centre itself & how you pull into and away from the curb, when doing the 3 point turn & reverse around the corner manouvers.

On test day, they don't pay any attention to who is with you, or how you got to the test centre. If you chose to drive to/from the test centre unaccompanied, that is up to you. If you get stopped by the Guards, you'll be liable for the usual penalties and fines, but the test centre staff don't really care how you got there. It's not their job to enforce the law.

Give them a ring and see what the deal is being given a date. A month seems a long time not to hear anything. But I'd give Shannon a ring too and find out what is going on with your tax disc too.

That's fair enough!
    Just be careful on exit and re-entry to the test center then. Once I get on the road I really should be ok. Haven't had any major issues with techniques in quite awhile.

I have valid NCT on the car. And I have an insurance policy. Still waiting on the disc though!

Going to tax my car as soon as I get the chance anyway and see where I can go from there...

Any ideas on the length it would take a log book to come generally?

Thanks for all the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 work2013

You could ring up and ask if there are any cancellations available. That way you could get your test in the next week or two. (when your car is taxed and everything else is ready)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The OP doesn't have the log book for his car yet, so he can't tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

hold on until you have your log book and then tax the car. there's no way you'll be allowed test without the tax/insc and nct (if applicable) being visible.

check rsa.ie for length of waiting times in centres for tests.
    don't be in too much of a hurry. it gives you plenty of time to practice.
    don't think they test for parrallel parking but practicing it is good and it's great for getting into a parking place always.

good luck:)

Think I'm just going to ring them today and ask for a cancellation. If I get a date very soon I'll ask my instructor for her car. If not then I can wait for the log book! :)

Just rang there and got my test booking for the 17th ! Aaaaah excited/Nervous!!

Don't forget to go over your signs / rules of the road.

They ask questions at the start of test like :

What should you do if approached by a driver with full headlights on at night ?
    Slow down, look to the left, stop if necessary.

What are the speed limits for:
    Towns/cities (50 km/h), regional roads (80 km/h), national roads (100 km/h), motorways (120km/h).

What do zig-zag markings mean ?
    White zig-zag lines at a pedestrian crossing mean no parking or overtaking within the markings. You may stop in the course of traffic or to allow people to cross.

When may you overtake on the left ?
    If the driver ahead intends on going right and your going straight or turning left.
    If traffic in your lane is moving faster than traffic in the lane to your right.

What is the air pressure on your car's tires ?
    28-30 pounds pressure

What is the thread depth of your tires ?
    1.6mm

Explain the meaning of a broken white line near the edge of the road ?
    This indicates the area in which parking is prohibited, usually a bus stop, taxi rank or loading area.

What are yellow box junctions used for ?
    To keep the junction free from obstruction.

Normal stopping distance of car travelling at 50 km/h on a dry road ?
    25 meters
    Normal stopping distance of car travelling at 50 km/h on a wet road ?
    30 meters
    Normal stopping distance of car travelling at 100 km/h on a dry road ?
    70 meters
    Normal stopping distance of car travelling at 100 km/h on a wet road ?
    125 meters

Where would you see two red flashing lights?
    level crossing guarded by lights and barriers

What does a clearway sign indicate ?
    That stopping or parking is prohibited (except for buses and taxis) at stated times

What does a broken yellow line road marking mean ?
    A broken yellow line marks the edge of the carriageway and indicates a hard shoulder

What is the sequence of lights for motorists at a pelican crossing ?
    Green, Amber, Red, Flashing Amber, Green

For whom should you stop ?
    Garda, school warden, persons in charge of animals.
    Pedestrians who have begun to cross or who are on a zebra or pelican crossing.
    Flagmen at roadworks or other obstructions.

What signs mean no entry ?
    Regulatory sign. Solid white line (with broken white line behind it) on road.

What does an amber traffic light mean ?
    Stop unless unsafe to do so.

What does a flashing amber traffic light mean ?
    Yield to pedestrians who are crossing. Proceed with caution if crossing is clear.

At a stop sign, always stop for a minimum of 3 seconds.

Only a fool breaks the 2 second rule ( in dry conditions )
    Only a fool breaks the 4 second rule ( in wet conditions )

Thats most of the potential questions.
    Know everything above and all the signs in the video below and you are sorted for the questioning stage which takes place at the beginning of test in the office.

You get asked about 5 or 6 of the questions above then you will be asked about the signs below (point them out on the sheet and state what they are).

Also know all the functions in your car. Like how to turn on rear fog lights (usually twist headlights knob to far right and pull out). How to check rear brake lights (depress foot pedal). How to adjust head rest/seats. Everything under bonnet. How to check threading of tires.

Type in youtube: "road signs - rules of the road / ireland". Its the first video.
    Know all them signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

They also love asking about box junctions - I did two tests and they asked me both times the rules of a box junction :)

• Advertisement

Do you want to explain them for me? :P

One more thing, if you're in a situation where you're not sure whether to move forward or wait, always wait.

For example, on my first test their was heavy traffic and so on two seperate occasions I was blocked/given little room to move forward on my lane... I ended up squeezing past a car and that warrented a grade 2 fault.

Wait until you can have a doors distance between you and any object on either side of the car before proceeding.

Also, if you're a young male driver, the instructor will prefer you being patient/observant/possibly slower to progress than to be time efficient / more concerned about progression.

Advertisement