Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid vs Liverpool - 04/11 - TV3 - 7:45 - See Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Gotta feel for the Liverpool fans who have spent hundreds if not thousands to be at this game and that's the team the manager puts out.

If they're only there to support certain players then I couldn't care less about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Not like this game is all that important for qualification anyway. People can go on about playing for pride and whatnot all they want, the game this weekend is far more important.
    Of course it is. If we could sneak a point, it makes our life a lot easier. As it stands though, we've basically just conceded defeat with this line up. If we get beat by a single goal, there is going to be massive pressure on Rodgers over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

honestly, I'm appalled at that selection, and I hope I'm made look like a fool for saying that at around 930.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Can someone tell me if we (Liverpool) are going to get thumped tonight or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's an absolute joke of a team selection. This is the Champions League, a match against Real Madrid and Rodgers is treating it like it's a hindrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

rossc007 wrote: »
    Not that it make much difference

B1ngHOcIAAAfShF.jpg

Even playing Ronaldo right back they are that confident Liverpools strikers won't score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Of course it is. If we could sneak a point, it makes our life a lot easier. As it stands though, we've basically just conceded defeat with this line up. If we get beat by a single goal, there is going to be massive pressure on Rodgers over this.

In what universe will this happen?

Some amount of badly judged scarf waving here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If they're only there to support certain players then I couldn't care less about them.

Don't be daft. The manager is showing them a lack of respect sending out a second-rate team that he is pretty much putting out there to be beaten.

Liverpool are going to be slaughtered and more pressure will be put on Rodgers, and this time he'll deserve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Can't see past a 0-0 draw.

Bet of the week. 35/1

Even a draw at 15/2 is tasty

This is FSG-conomics

No interest in properly competing in the CL now we're in, we just want the moneys that come from continually being in it.

• Advertisement

Gotta feel for the Liverpool fans who have spent hundreds if not thousands to be at this game and that's the team the manager puts out.

Most of them will be hardcore fans and will chant the whole game regardless of the team and scoreline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Don't be daft. The manager is showing them a lack of respect sending out a second-rate team that he is pretty much putting out there to be beaten.

Liverpool are going to be slaughtered and more pressure will be put on Rodgers, and this time he'll deserve it.

I've been very supportive of Rodgers, but this does not bode well, as long as I've supported Liverpool I cant remember a manager approaching a game like this.

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is FSG-conomics

No interest in properly competing in the CL now we're in, we just want the moneys that come from continually being in it.

Or trying to plan ahead. Even if ewe lose tonight we're still in a great position to finish second in the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

That's an awful Liverpool team and I would be pissed if I was a fan. Conceding defeat before the match had started.

If that was moyes or gaal there would be calls for them to be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Dreadful team selection rodgers is inviting a lot of pressure on himself. The media will have a field day with this. If the game was tomorrow night it would make a bit more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

People criticising the team selection are missing the point completely. They want players rested but then go mental when they do.

Here's a question for people, would you prefer a full strength side tonight and a weaker one against Chelsea and Basel or a weaker one tonight and the opposite for the other two? Managing limited resources is what its about tonight. we were going to get tonked either way lads. Real are in a different league.

Or trying to plan ahead. Even if ewe lose tonight we're still in a great position to finish second in the group.

you compete as best you can in every game you can.

Also here a tip for Liverpool fans. When you agree with United fans in your opinions on anything Liverpool related you're probably wrong. Remember the support they lent Woy?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

That's an awful Liverpool team and I would be pissed if I was a fan. Conceding defeat before the match had started.

If that was moyes or gaal there would be calls for them to be sacked

And theyd be equally ridiculous calls.

• Advertisement

you compete as best you can in every game you can.

So you're saying play your best team in every single game?!?! Cause thats football in the 70's.

Fair play to Rodgers, team performances have been poor of late, the team that started against Newcastle isn't much better on paper and performance wise wasn't great.

Tonight's starting eleven in no worse I think, shaaaaaaakin it up :)

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    People criticising the team selection are missing the point completely. They want players rested but then go mental when they do.

Here's a question for people, would you prefer a full strength side tonight and a weaker one against Chelsea and Basel or a weaker one tonight and the opposite for the other two? Managing limited resources is what its about tonight. we were going to get tonked either way lads. Real are in a different league.

play our best team in both.

international break is coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Limited resources my arse. He had the money in the summer to ensure the squad was strong enough to compete on a European and domestic front.

So you're saying play your best team in every single game?!?! Cause thats football in the 70's.

there are times to rest your best team.

Real Madrid in the Bernebeu or Chelsea at home are not those times.

The team hasn't been changed this much all season bar for League Cup games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I dunno, if you were to take it on a player vs player basis on the performances so far this season, could you say whole-heartedly that none of the first teamers deserved to be dropped? It's just when you see them all going together that it looks bad. I'm looking forward to seeing Can, Markovic and Lallana get a spin together without Stevie Me stinking up the midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Id say henderson couthino and sterling are peed off not getting a chance againist real at bernabau

Limited resources my arse. He had the money in the summer to ensure the squad was strong enough to compete on a European and domestic front.

And because we can't pay top wages (which we can't) we had to buy a few players who have potential rather than current ability. Regardless thats an argument for another thread. The simple fact is our squad is nowhere near the level to compete with Real Madrid who can spend as much on one player as we spent in the entire summer.

there are times to rest your best team.

Real Madrid in the Bernebeu or Chelsea at home are not those times.

The team hasn't been changed this much all season bar for League Cup games.

Exactly, its time it was and being realistic we were not getting anything here. Real are in a different league lads.

You'd swear Liverpool were playing great stuff and are resting incredible in form players!

The players being rested deserve to be rested.

Bar Henderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Surely players like sterling live for nights like this. Very disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Liverpool resting half their team in Champions League so that they'll be rested for trying to qualify for the Champions League..

Never leave us, Brendan.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Surely players like sterling live for nights like this. Very disappointed.

Shouldn't he live for Newcastle away too? He was awful there and has been very average recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You'd swear Liverpool were playing great stuff and are resting incredible in form players!

The players being rested deserve to be rested.

Bar Henderson

Id say bar sterling rather than bar henderson. And even sterlings form has dipped of late. Not one of them can say they deserve to be starting this game based on recent performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

sky88 wrote: »
    Id say henderson couthino and sterling are peed off not getting a chance againist real at bernabau

Big time would've been one of the highlights of there careers to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Whatever team Liverpool sent out was getting beaten tonight. The priority in Europe is beating Basle and Ludogorets in the following games. And hopefully Chelsea at the weekend.

Not like the players "rested" have been in fantastic form either this season so far. In fact most of them have been downright poor. Is resting Dejan Lovren and Glen Johnson going to be difference between keeping a clean sheet or not? Not a hope on their performances so far.

Nib wrote: »
    Liverpool resting half their team in Champions League so that they'll be rested for trying to qualify for the Champions League..

Never leave us, Brendan.

Its not a knockout game. Its a group game we're unlikely to get anything out of other than a pasting no matter what team we put out.

The bold part i agree with.

I wonder what the dressing room thinks of the selection?

Exactly, its time it was and being realistic we were not getting anything here. Real are in a different league lads.

So just give them a walk over?

Christ, the meltdown's started early. Can't win with fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The thoughts of listening to Andy fcuking Townsend as well is nearly to much for me.

I think I will have to do this with a few Jamesons in me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Shouldn't he live for Newcastle away too? He was awful there and has been very average recently

True true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If those dropped are pissed then I bloody well hope they realise that playing like absolute ****e won't be rewarded.

Borini certainly deserves his chance and if we want Can and Markovic to become anything then they're going to have to be blooded sooner rather than later.

Not sure what the fuss is about. None of the players dropped have played well and all those who have been picked either have something to prove or, for the established players, have actually played decently this season.

Christ, the meltdown's started early. Can't win with fans.

Hardly a meltdown, I think the team selection is pretty controversial given the occasion, worth discussing as fans do from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Rodgers has just told his side we are not good enough so lets not even give it a go.

In reality they were never going to get anything but i can see this being disruptive for the dressing room.

Sterling in particular not getting the chance to play at the Bernabeau must be a big blow when their is no guarantee of getting back into the champions league next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Well at last we have a strong bench :pac::pac:
    It's a reflection of the strength in depth of the Liverpool squad. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Joke of a first 11. I would gladly take a 4-0 loss now. We could be seriously overrun and take a humiliating 6 or 7 nil loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its hampered my chances of landing the 4-1 Real James fgs bet thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Some of the Liverpool fans in here are shocking. Trying to agree with Rogers thinking. No matter what team I supported I would want them to play at full strength against Madrid at home. I would be pissed if I was a liverpool fan. Such a defeatist attitude. There is always a chance of an upset but playing the 2nd string, which is what he is doing, isnt giving Liverpool much of a chance.

Shocking decision by Rogers

Not really sure why fans of other teams are acting so outraged too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I hope theyre pissed off.

I undertsand people being upset at the sight of a weakened team for a match away to real madrid, but not one of the players left out tonight has displayed form recently that would suggest theyre above being left out.

Id say gerrard in particular will be unhappy. Genuinely cant remember the last time he was left out of a game of this magnitude for club or country. Probably his last ever trip to such a stadium/team as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement