Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to College as a Mature Student and BTEA

Options
  • 04-11-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello there
    I'm thinking about returning to College as a mature student, next year preferably, and am looking for some advice/guidance. I've read everything I can find online about BTEA, SUSI, grants, fees etc but I find I keep getting conflicting information and then when I talk to people I know they all tell me different things as well.
    My situation is this: I went to College for a year when I was 19 (a full time undergrad BSc in UCD) before dropping out. Since then I have worked full time in Ireland for the last 8 years (currently 28), bar one period of unemployment which lasted 4 months for which I was receiving social welfare payments. While I have some savings, and could afford the day to day costs and maybe even the reg fees, the course fees would be totally beyond my reach.
    My question really is, if I wanted to return in September 2015, what would I be entitled to? Reading the BTEA info it seems I would have to be in recent of social welfare for 9 months before I would be entitled to it, so does that essentially mean that I would have to leave my job, go on the dole and then just wait 9 months (some people have told me this is the case and others the opposite). If that is the case I'm probably too late to get things lined up for Sep 15 at this stage anyway, but I'm wondering if there are other options. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

For BTEA, yes, you need a total of 234 days (not counting Sundays) in receipt of Jobseekers allowance / benefit.

As regards the tuition fees you may be eligible under the 2nd chance rule for the Free Fee Initiative. This is an option for students who dropped out / left college at least 5 years ago without receiving any form of qualification from their time in college. It means that you can re-enter college and have the state meet your tuition fees for this third level course.

Alternatively you may be eligible to have your tuition fees paid by SUSI depending on your income, residency and nationality.

SUSI is also the only state agency that assist students with the cost of the student contribution, which will be €3000 in Sept 2015. To receive this assistance you need to meet income, residency and nationality criteria. It also needs to be more than 5 years since you were in any form of full-time higher or further education. You cannot get SUSI support to repeat any level of qualification that you currently hold.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nanastick

If I receive BETA, will I also get my fees paid?

Also can one receive a grant aswell?

Thanks,

Keith

Nanastick wrote: »
    If I receive BETA, will I also get my fees paid?

BTEA and fees are separate. One has nothing to do with the other. In terms of fees for college there are usually 3 charges:
    1. Tuition fees. These can be from about €2,500 to pick a number depending on the course you are doing. If you have never been to college before and if you are an Irish or EU national and if you have lived in Ireland or the EU for 3 out of the last 5 years these fees are covered automatically through the government Free Fee Initiative. (In some cases where the Free Fee Initiative doesn't apply due to e.g. previous study SUSI may be able to pay tuition fees for you.)
    2. Student Contribution/Student registration charge: This is charge will be €3,000 in September 2015. The only source of state support for this is the grants authority SUSI, Student Universal Support Ireland. To have the contribution paid on your behalf you need to be an Irish or EU national, living in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years and have a gross income for 2014 of no more than €45,790. (There are some exceptions to the residency and nationality clauses).
    3. Student Union/Student services charge: This varies from college to college and can range between €100 to €200 per year. There is no state support for this charge. Its the students responsibility to meet this.

Nanastick wrote: »
    Also can one receive a grant aswell?

If you receive the BTEA then you are not eligible for the Maintenance portion of the SUSI grant. You are eligible, subject to meeting the criteria, for the Tuition fee, Student Contribution, and Field Trip elements of the SUSI grant.

However if you are on One Parent Family Payment or a Disability payment you may apply to DSP to keep these payments while you study and in these cases you can also apply for the Maintenance grant. However if you get it it can affect any rent supplement you are receiving and possibly your medical card.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The above really only relates to Undergraduate courses. Postgrad courses are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nanastick

That helps a lot.

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karnellan

Thanks for the into Paperclip. I hadn't heard anything about the second chance rule, I'll look up more on that. Does there exist anywhere a service where you can go and sit down and talk to someone about your options and what you're entitled to or do you just have to blindly apply and hope for the best?

• Advertisement

Karnellan wrote: »
    Thanks for the into Paperclip. I hadn't heard anything about the second chance rule, I'll look up more on that. Does there exist anywhere a service where you can go and sit down and talk to someone about your options and what you're entitled to or do you just have to blindly apply and hope for the best?

A lot of the Adult guidance services in the ETB's have a general public information officer that can give you a bit of direction. You can get all their contact details on the AEGAI website under 'Services': http://www.aegai.ie/

Local Citizens information centres can be very good but it can depend on what part of the country you are in.

You can get a lot of info about the Free Fee Initiative and the 2nd chance rule for universities from the Student Support Unit of the Department of Education. Tel: (057) 932 5406. They are usually quite helpful.

Also SUSI are pretty good at coming back on email if you send them your query regarding the grants. You do need to be quite specific and provide a lot of detail about your circumstances.support@susi.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karnellan

All great info, thank you very much.

Advertisement