Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody please help me! (Trying to rent with dog)

Options
  • 04-11-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do. I'm DESPERATE to move to the Cork city area. I currently rent in mallow (myself, boyfriend, a friend, and a dog.) It's really hard at the moment to get a propety in Cork. Like 8/9 people are viewing properties at a time. I went to 2 letting agents in the city today and they were all very interested/had loads to show me, as the three of us have well paying secure jobs and many references between us. BUT the minute I mentioned the dog it was 'no sorry nothing'.

I rang around a few places asking had they any dog friendly properties and got 'NO' straight away. It seems people are so desperate to rent places, they don't need to have someone with a dog in their property. The dog is 13 years old, really quiet, well behaved old thing. NEVER goes toilet in the house. My boyfriends had her since he was 12. I'm devastated and stressed out.

My boyfriend said to say nothing about the dog, but I know that might just get us in a lot of trouble down the line. Any advice or help guys? I cannot commute from mallow to the city anymore, I'm cracking up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The dog may be the best in the world, but it's coming up to being a fairly elderly dog at this stage. Can you give the dog to someone (your boyfriend's parents or siblings for example)?

If you rent with a dog in the house when the landlord has said no pets, say goodbye to your deposit I'm afraid. I had a tenant who tried to hide a dog from me. The first inspection I could smell it, so I asked them to leave as they were breaking the terms of the lease. It cost me a carpet and a few sets of dog-smelling curtains.... cost them the full deposit (which didn't even cover the replacements. 3 full steam cleans couldn't get the dog hair out of the carpet, so we had to bin it).

The only people I know who lease to dog-owners are their own family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

We were in the same position. No one wanted anyone with a dog. I understand their point of view but not everyone with a dog destroys a house, I have friends that will never rent to families again because the kids wrecked their property! Anyway in the end we had to just not mention the dog. It was the only way we could get somewhere. Some Landlords found out or we told them after a few months and when they saw how immaculate the house was they had no issue with it. I think Landlords fear the worst, the dog will pee everywhere, dig up the garden, bark all day annoying the neighbours etc. if your dog does none of the above then my only advice is don't mention the dog unfortunately, it's all we could do. I know it isn't right and you could get in trouble but from our experience it worked out okay. Not saying you'll be so lucky, it's still a risk to take.

I know the stress of it, our only other option was not keeping our dog (was never going to happen!) so that's what we went with. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snyperwolf

pwurple wrote: »
    The dog may be the best in the world, but it's coming up to being a fairly elderly dog at this stage. Can you give the dog to someone (your boyfriend's parents or siblings for example)?

If you rent with a dog in the house when the landlord has said no pets, say goodbye to your deposit I'm afraid. I had a tenant who tried to hide a dog from me. The first inspection I could smell it, so I asked them to leave as they were breaking the terms of the lease. It cost me a carpet and a few sets of dog-smelling curtains.... cost them the full deposit (which didn't even cover the replacements. 3 full steam cleans couldn't get the dog hair out of the carpet, so we had to bin it).

The only people I know who lease to dog-owners are their own family members.

Yes you see you're a perfect example. A lot of landlords have only had bad experience with dogs. It's not really an option to pass the dog off on someone else. I'm not the type of person who just treats a dog like an inconvenience to just throw away. I'm committed to my dog. I'm not sure what kind of dog they had in your property, but my house doesn't smell like dog at the moment, and our curtains certainly don't stink of dog!!

Frog Song wrote: »
    We were in the same position. No one wanted anyone with a dog. I understand their point of view but not everyone with a dog destroys a house, I have friends that will never rent to families again because the kids wrecked their property! Anyway in the end we had to just not mention the dog. It was the only way we could get somewhere. Some Landlords found out or we told them after a few months and when they saw how immaculate the house was they had no issue with it. I think Landlords fear the worst, the dog will pee everywhere, dig up the garden, bark all day annoying the neighbours etc. if your dog does none of the above then my only advice is don't mention the dog unfortunately, it's all we could do. I know it isn't right and you could get in trouble but from our experience it worked out okay. Not saying you'll be so lucky, it's still a risk to take.

I know the stress of it, our only other option was not keeping our dog (was never going to happen!) so that's what we went with. Best of luck!

Yeah man, my boyfriend is raging at me for mentioning the dog at all to the letting agents. We didn't tell our current landlords, and when they did an inspection, they were chuffed with the house and said we had it lovely!! I'd never give up on the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I have never mentioned my dog to any landlord, which isn't ideal but I felt I had no choice at the time.

One was in an apartment with security cameras and a management company, I never got caught. The second was through a letting agency- the agent knew me from around the town and had definitely seen me walking the dog. Neither of us mentioned it, and all was fine. The third, and current, they've actually met me out walking the dog, and have seen the dog grill in my car and have never said it.

I just make sure all signs of the dog are gone for inspections, and it always seems fine.

They way I see it is the most that you're gonna lose is your deposit. It's not THAT big a deal in the long run.

I commend you for not just abandoning the dog on someone else, it's tough renting with pets but you're right to shoulder the responsibility, especially with an elderly dog who deserves to be around those who he knows and loves.

• Advertisement

I have never mentioned my dog to any landlord, which isn't ideal but I felt I had no choice at the time.

One was in an apartment with security cameras and a management company, I never got caught. The second was through a letting agency- the agent knew me from around the town and had definitely seen me walking the dog. Neither of us mentioned it, and all was fine. The third, and current, they've actually met me out walking the dog, and have seen the dog grill in my car and have never said it.

I just make sure all signs of the dog are gone for inspections, and it always seems fine.

They way I see it is the most that you're gonna lose is your deposit. It's not THAT big a deal in the long run.

I commend you for not just abandoning the dog on someone else, it's tough renting with pets but you're right to shoulder the responsibility, especially with an elderly dog who deserves to be around those who he knows and loves.

God I'd never abandon the dog. Not an option. She is my responsibility, and she's good as gold (and I love her to bloody bits!!!). Your story has comforted me actually. I'm a very clean, responsible person, I think I'll just not mention it from now on, and once my home is spotless come inspection, who cares!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

Its a real worry, I have 2 cats and landlords are never keen (which I do understand if they have had a bad experience, they have to protect their property).

I don't think it is the best idea to fib about this, how we approached this in the past was as follows:
    1. we offered a 'pet deposit', usally about €500 above our other deposit, refundable after 6 months if no damage has been done.
    2. we asked our previous landlord for a reference which stated that the cats had done no damage to their property

I agree with you saying that you couldn't pass your pet on, I am the same, there is no way I would move without them! People tend to be very nervous about cats (afriad they will piddle/ spray everywhere or scratch up the furniture) but ours have never caused any damage and, after an initial struggle to find homes with them we now have good references to back this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

snyperwolf wrote: »
    Yes you see you're a perfect example. A lot of landlords have only had bad experience with dogs. It's not really an option to pass the dog off on someone else. I'm not the type of person who just treats a dog like an inconvenience to just throw away. I'm committed to my dog. I'm not sure what kind of dog they had in your property, but my house doesn't smell like dog at the moment, and our curtains certainly don't stink of dog!!

There's no dog that doesn't smell like a dog. Sorry!

Shivi111 wrote: »
    Its a real worry, I have 2 cats and landlords are never keen (which I do understand if they have had a bad experience, they have to protect their property).

I don't think it is the best idea to fib about this, how we approached this in the past was as follows:
    1. we offered a 'pet deposit', usally about €500 above our other deposit, refundable after 6 months if no damage has been done.
    2. we asked our previous landlord for a reference which stated that the cats had done no damage to their property

I agree with you saying that you couldn't pass your pet on, I am the same, there is no way I would move without them! People tend to be very nervous about cats (afriad they will piddle/ spray everywhere or scratch up the furniture) but ours have never caused any damage and, after an initial struggle to find homes with them we now have good references to back this up.

The pet deposit and reference thing is the route I would try if I had to move again, and it's normally what I would advise people to do also. I think it's a great idea and I'd be REALLY surprised if it didn't work.

But I'd probably only try it on 2 or 3 potential places before I decided to just keep schtum. The market is too competitive at the moment :(

Also, OP, if you decide not to mention it, don't be afraid to go back in to agents you've already brought up the idea of a dog to. If they say anything, just tell them your mam is taking the dog and you'll just be having the dog visit every so often. Nobody will object to an evening a fortnight or so, and it covers you in case they see you with the dog :pac:

pwurple wrote: »
    There's no dog that doesn't smell like a dog. Sorry!

My dog sleeps on my bed and lives completely in the house except for walks. She gets professionally groomed approx every 3-4 months, and I always wash her myself if she gets dirty while out and about. She has minimal hair shedding, but I have no carpets in the house so that's not an issue anyway- nothing a quick hoover won't fix.

She doesn't smell in any way strongly, and nobody has ever commented on a dog smell in my house. The people I have over WOULD tell me.

Having a dog while renting does not automatically equal a wrecked house, in any way. If the person is clean and conscious of it, there's no issue. As I said, my landlords have never complained of any damage/smell, and I've always gotten my full deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Thanks for all the advice and empathy guys.

Also nice one for the daft link but it's €400 over my budget haha!

I'm just in limbo now. I've been traipsing around to letting agents and sitting in Internet cafes all day and I'm so disheartened bleh 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had a dog. I had him for about a year and I had to give him up.
    It was either "keep the dog" or have somewhere to live.

The apartment we were about to rent wouldn't accept pets so as heartless as it sounds, we HAD to think of a roof over our heads.
    Yes, were devastated but we HAD to do it. Otherwise we'd be putting the dog before our own needs.

We gave him to a family who had dogs of the same breed and he was well looked after.
    It took us months to get over the dog, but we got over it.
    We moved into the apartment and got on with our lives.

Don't let a dog dictate your life; if you can get a place WITHOUT the dog, go for it. Silly not to.

Thanks for all the advice and empathy guys.

Also nice one for the daft link but it's €400 over my budget haha!

I'm just in limbo now. I've been traipsing around to letting agents and sitting in Internet cafes all day and I'm so disheartened bleh 😭

grin. that are actually the only 2 houses near cork who accepts dogs. I would than really go with everyone else advise and simply not mention the dog.
    As you said, he's and old soul and will not need a lot of anything (except sleep, I've a 16 year old who doesn't do anything else but sleep lol..) and just go for it.

Keep in mind a LL has to give you notice of inspection and you'll have time to clear up. ( I've 8 dogs and am renting , but I have a very animal loving landlord and live in the sticks), you should be fine. Just go for it, rent what you like, make sure the house is fit for dogs ( you know yourself, lino or such) you'll be grand. stop worrying about it.I've done that when i had 2 dogs years back, and it wasn't an issue on first inspection as the house was - and remained- spotless.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I had a dog. I had him for about a year and I had to give him up.
    It was either "keep the dog" or have somewhere to live.

The apartment we were about to rent wouldn't accept pets so as heartless as it sounds, we HAD to think of a roof over our heads.
    Yes, were devastated but we HAD to do it. Otherwise we'd be putting the dog before our own needs.

We gave him to a family who had dogs of the same breed and he was well looked after.
    It took us months to get over the dog, but we got over it.
    We moved into the apartment and got on with our lives.

Don't let a dog dictate your life; if you can get a place WITHOUT the dog, go for it. Silly not to.

:mad:

doubter wrote: »
    :mad:

And that means what exactly?

that I've heard that excuse 100000 times from people and it just makes me mad. If you try hard enough, you will find something.I've rented in Cork center with 2 dogs and didn't get an issue- and they were RB's.I currently have 8 dogs, 8 horses and 23 cats..and I'm renting. it's possible. Don't give up OP it WILL work

that I've heard that excuse 100000 times from people and it just makes me mad. If you try hard enough, you will find something.I've rented in Cork center with 2 dogs and didn't get an issue- and they were RB's.I currently have 8 dogs, 8 horses and 23 cats..and I'm renting. it's possible. Don't give up OP it WILL work

So it makes you mad, but I've been in a situation where I tried and tried to find a place that would allow dogs, but nowhere would.

So we found a lovely place right where we WANTED to live and we figured it was either me, my OH and our dog on the street or we give the dog to a loving family and take the apartment.

I'd call that being sensible. The dog had a loving home and we had a roof over our heads.
    I don't see the big deal.

I also know of a couple who had two little boys and a dog.
    They were on Rent Allowance (and that is a huge negative when looking for a property). Finding a place where the LL will accept RA is as rare as hen's teeth.

They actually found a house where the LL was willing to take RA but they refused it because the LL wouldn't allow pets.

Now they're all living in a relative's house and the irony is, the relative wouldn't allow dogs so they gave the dog up anyway!

Baffles me that people are putting pets before homes.

And you must be living on a farm or somewhere with tons of land.
    That's not feasible for city living if that's where the OP wishes to live.

• Advertisement

So it makes you mad, but I've been in a situation where I tried and tried to find a place that would allow dogs, but nowhere would.

So we found a lovely place right where we WANTED to live and we figured it was either me, my OH and our dog on the street or we give the dog to a loving family and take the apartment.

I'd call that being sensible. The dog had a loving home and we had a roof over our heads.
    I don't see the big deal.

I also know of a couple who had two little boys and a dog.
    They were on Rent Allowance (and that is a huge negative when looking for a property). Finding a place where the LL will accept RA is as rare as hen's teeth.

They actually found a house where the LL was willing to take RA but they refused it because the LL wouldn't allow pets.

Now they're all living in a relative's house and the irony is, the relative wouldn't allow dogs so they gave the dog up anyway!

Baffles me that people are putting pets before homes.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

If you're dog isn't loud, destructive etc I cannot see how your landlord would find out? I've a dog and my lease says no pets

And you must be living on a farm or somewhere with tons of land.
    That's not feasible for city living if that's where the OP wishes to live.

Finding a property with land that takes that amount of animals is as difficult in the sticks as finding one in a city center with one dog. Don't give up OP

If your dog isn't loud, destructive etc I cannot see how your landlord would find out? I've a dog and my lease says no pets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me any advice on what to do. I'm DESPERATE to move to the Cork city area. I currently rent in mallow (myself, boyfriend, a friend, and a dog.) It's really hard at the moment to get a propety in Cork. Like 8/9 people are viewing properties at a time. I went to 2 letting agents in the city today and they were all very interested/had loads to show me, as the three of us have well paying secure jobs and many references between us. BUT the minute I mentioned the dog it was 'no sorry nothing'.

I rang around a few places asking had they any dog friendly properties and got 'NO' straight away. It seems people are so desperate to rent places, they don't need to have someone with a dog in their property. The dog is 13 years old, really quiet, well behaved old thing. NEVER goes toilet in the house. My boyfriends had her since he was 12. I'm devastated and stressed out.

My boyfriend said to say nothing about the dog, but I know that might just get us in a lot of trouble down the line. Any advice or help guys? I cannot commute from mallow to the city anymore, I'm cracking up.

Thanks.

It baffles me at that renters are still surprised with this. This is what a Landlord would think to a dog

1 he will stink the place out
    2 **** / piss in the house
    3 damage furniture
    4 cause a nuance to neighbours
    5 Do I really want the hassle of this when I've 1000 people calling me who don't have pets

really boils down to do I want to take the chance when I don't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John A

Maybe you could offer to pay a little more rent to persuade a landlord that it's worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I remember living in a house before and the one behind mine had a dog... he barked alot . German shepard I think. Anyhow when it was been rented again the Landlord put down dog friendly. I though to myself, thats great because you don't have to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I have pets that I'm not supposed to. I've lived here for 2 years now and the agents do a routine inspection every 3 months, with 10 days notice. I just make sure there's no sign of the animals on that day and I've never once had an issue. There will be a full inspection when I move out and if there was any damage (which is highly unlikely) I'd happily forfeit my deposit for it like I would with damage I'd caused.

I was going to tell agents when I was looking but was advised not to and I've since met more and more people who do the same. It's not ideal, but I'd probably do it again when I move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm amazed at the level of dishonesty on this thread. Someone spends hundreds of thousands on a property and people blatantly lie about having pets and then move one or more in?

I'm sorry OP but I can't condone lying to a potential landlord. Mallow to Cork is a short commute relatively speaking. I would suggest staying where you are until you find appropriate accommodation.

• Advertisement

My dog is the realest of lads and never p*sses anywhere, He's very respectful of the apartment and helps around the house, he also has above average hygene and honestly smells better than most of my friends

Advertisement