Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody please help me! (Trying to rent with dog)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

It baffles me at that renters are still surprised with this. This is what a Landlord would think to a dog

1 he will stink the place out
    2 **** / piss in the house
    3 damage furniture
    4 cause a nuance to neighbours
    5 Do I really want the hassle of this when I've 1000 people calling me who don't have pets

really boils down to do I want to take the chance when I don't have to

4 of those can just as easily happen by renting to the wrong people and they are harder to get rid of.

OP, try look for houses that are not going through estate agents. They dont give a crap who you are or how clean you will keep the house, they just want it off the books asap and move on. By dealing with the owner, they will know straight away whether you are suitable or not. They will more likely to give the OK to pets if they like you and get to meet you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My dog sleeps on my bed and lives completely in the house except for walks. She gets professionally groomed approx every 3-4 months, and I always wash her myself if she gets dirty while out and about. She has minimal hair shedding, but I have no carpets in the house so that's not an issue anyway

I'm not saying dogs are dirty, just that smell like a dog. Much like humans smell like humans... etc.

(except maybe when they roll in fox poo? ...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92893812)

Like I mentioned above, if the OP looked for dog suitable property, they might have more luck. No carpets, like your house.

ps, dog in the bed? Not sexy. Totally revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm not saying dogs are dirty, just that smell like a dog. Much like humans smell like humans... etc.

And you can have the most vile smelling humans, depending on their hygiene habits to their cooking habits. Regardless of tenant, all rentals have a certain "smell" at the end of a tenancy and repainting and cleaning will eliminate it. I've had far more damage done by a 5yr old child than the next tenant who had a dog.
    (except maybe when they roll in fox poo? ...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92893812)

The smell of fox poo, or any foul smelling substance that dogs may roll in is eliminated by applying tomato ketchup to the source of smell. Leave on 10 minutes and rinse off, the odour is gone.
    Like I mentioned above, if the OP looked for dog suitable property, they might have more luck. No carpets, like your house.

Even if a house is carpeted a shampoo at the end of a tenancy should eliminate odours, and any responsible dog owner wouldn't leave a dog unsupervised on a carpeted floor, when you are a pet owner you tend to think ahead, so the dogs bed should be in the kitchen/utility/bathroom or a tiled floor, in case of any accidents/illness etc.

Who do you sleep with? Humans tend to shed lots of skin cells and sweat into the sheets and mattress every night. My dogs get up on my bed for a cuddle in the morning or when my husband is away they sleep on the bed, and he does the same if I'm away. I change the bedding regularly so it's no big deal. Now if I could just get him to stop sweating....

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

fussyonion wrote: »
    So it makes you mad, but I've been in a situation where I tried and tried to find a place that would allow dogs, but nowhere would.

So we found a lovely place right where we WANTED to live and we figured it was either me, my OH and our dog on the street or we give the dog to a loving family and take the apartment.

I'd call that being sensible. The dog had a loving home and we had a roof over our heads.
    I don't see the big deal.

I also know of a couple who had two little boys and a dog.
    They were on Rent Allowance (and that is a huge negative when looking for a property). Finding a place where the LL will accept RA is as rare as hen's teeth.

They actually found a house where the LL was willing to take RA but they refused it because the LL wouldn't allow pets.

Now they're all living in a relative's house and the irony is, the relative wouldn't allow dogs so they gave the dog up anyway!

Baffles me that people are putting pets before homes.

Would you do the same to your children? Thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

snyperwolf wrote: »
    I cannot commute from mallow to the city anymore, I'm cracking up.

Don't think moving close to the city will automatically give you a lesser commute - anyone living in Passage/Rochestown who works at 9 in Cork is looking at a 20 - 30 min slow crawl just to get to the dual carriageway, they may even have a longer commute than you depending on what time you work at :eek:

If you're on FaceBook ask to join the "people from cork with dogs" page, they had a thread recently about someone with a house to rent in Cork that was dog friendly and a few months ago someone posted about a dog friendly estate agent in Ballincollig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Afroshack wrote: »
    Would you do the same to your children? Thought not.

Don't be so ridiculous. If I had children, I certainly wouldn't compare them to a dog. I was waiting for someone to come along with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Don't be so ridiculous. If I had children, I certainly wouldn't compare them to a dog. I was waiting for someone to come along with that.

odd. dogs are their children to many people. You must be a cat person.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Dogs are less destructive than kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

HA! Was waiting for someone to quote that :D

Yes, she rolls in poo 2 or 3 times a year, if I'm not quick enough. But as Borderlinemeath said, it's easily dealt with and she doesn't even have to come into the house until it is.

And regarding the dog on the bed- I've never had any complaints. Sheets are changed regularly, and it's nice to have a warm fuzzy hot water bottle :D
    Fussyonion wrote:

So you don't see your dog like a child. Fine. It explains why you gave your dog away. But for people who are passionate about dogs and love dogs like they were their children, this is NOT an option. We hate, with a passionate, the disposable pet attitude, where as soon as it becomes inconvenient to have your pet you give it away.

I'm not attacking you or your choice, I don't know your situation. But the OP has stated that giving the dog up is not an option. Her dog is elderly, and possibly only has a few years left. It is the right thing to do to make do with the inconvenience so that the dog can live out her life surrounded by people she knows and loves. It is absolutely, positively, heartbreaking to see a dog who has been abandoned by it's owner into a situation of complete uncertainty, especially the elderly ones who know nothing else. And it happens too often.

The OP doesn't want to do that. So she may have no choice but to omit telling landlords. As crimes go, it's a very very small one.

Absolutely. Children are capable of far worse damage to a house and for some reason, people think it's acceptable as "they're just being kids"

As I mentioned above a 5yr old was like a cyclone in my rental house.

Every kitchen chair seat had deep scratches from buckles on her shoes from either climbing up or sitting on her knees at the table.
    Kitchen table had embedded pen scratch marks
    Wooden floors had green and red felt tip pen drawings all over them.
    Black marker scribbled all over a solid oak door
    Sofa used as a hidey hole for food she didn't want to eat, food stuffed down the back of it, mostly mouldy bread.

The tenancy with a dog left a few baldy patches in the back garden grass.

My husband has had tenants with dogs as well and never had problems. The majority of dog owners are aware that having a dog puts them at a disadvantage and go to great lengths to ensure that the property is maintained to a high standard. Some even go so far as to offer a larger deposit as a guarantee that the dog is not going to damage the property or contents.

• Advertisement

doubter wrote: »
    odd. dogs are their children to many people. You must be a cat person.:D

"Dogs are children to many people"...yeah, it's those kind of people I steer clear of. :rolleyes:

HA! Was waiting for someone to quote that :D

Yes, she rolls in poo 2 or 3 times a year, if I'm not quick enough. But as Borderlinemeath said, it's easily dealt with and she doesn't even have to come into the house until it is.

And regarding the dog on the bed- I've never had any complaints. Sheets are changed regularly, and it's nice to have a warm fuzzy hot water bottle :D

So you don't see your dog like a child. Fine. It explains why you gave your dog away. But for people who are passionate about dogs and love dogs like they were their children, this is NOT an option. We hate, with a passionate, the disposable pet attitude, where as soon as it becomes inconvenient to have your pet you give it away.

I'm not attacking you or your choice, I don't know your situation. But the OP has stated that giving the dog up is not an option. Her dog is elderly, and possibly only has a few years left. It is the right thing to do to make do with the inconvenience so that the dog can live out her life surrounded by people she knows and loves. It is absolutely, positively, heartbreaking to see a dog who has been abandoned by it's owner into a situation of complete uncertainty, especially the elderly ones who know nothing else. And it happens too often.

The OP doesn't want to do that. So she may have no choice but to omit telling landlords. As crimes go, it's a very very small one.

My dog was never my child and I class dogs as PETS.

I didn't give the dog away because it was inconvenient; I gave him up because it was either LIVE ON THE STREET or have a roof over my head.
    Anyone who'd have chosen the former needs their heads checked. Seriously. Baffles me!

My dog was never my child and I class dogs as PETS.

I didn't give the dog away because it was inconvenient; I gave him up because it was either LIVE ON THE STREET or have a roof over my head.
    Anyone who'd have chosen the former needs their heads checked. Seriously. Baffles me!

Actually you said you found a place where you "WANTED" to live. Had you broadened your search area it is entirely possible that you could have found somewhere suitable for yourself and your dog.

Did you consider offering an increased security deposit as a guarantee to prospective landlords? Money is a fantastic incentive and could have given you the edge over other prospective tenants.

Owning a pet is a responsibility for a living creature. To most that is an obligation for the lifetime of that pet, to care for, feed and nurture that pet. A good few people I know would rather sleep in a tent than give up their pet if they couldn't find somewhere suitable to live, yet you think they should get their heads checked. They would probably say the same about your attitude to pets though.

I gave him up because it was either LIVE ON THE STREET or have a roof over my head.

No it wasn't. Not even remotely. You could have lied about having a pet, you could have lived in a different area until something else came up, you could have organised for the dog to stay in home boarding for a while until you got sorted- there's tonnes of things you could have done if you really REALLY wanted to.

I left my dog for 3 nights with a lady who minds dogs in her home recently. She currently has 2 dogs with her whose owner have had to emigrate. One only for a year- he would be coming back and taking the dog home again. The other had to leave quite suddenly, but he was working with the lady to get the dogs over to him as soon as possible- the dog had been there for 4 months already.

You take on a dog, you take on a responsibility. For life. Most dog owners who love their dogs don't take that fact lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

There are loads of ways for your landlord to find out if you lie. If the dog damages something. If they're friendly with a neighbour of the rented property. If there's a management company and somebody reports it. If you miss something before an inspection by accident. If they can smell it. If they happen to drive by the property and see you with the dog or if someone they know does.

You will lose your deposit and any chance of a reference. And if you rent through an agent and the landlord tells them about this then they probably won't work with you again.

Apart from being unfair and dishonest to the person who owns the property you are renting it is not in your own interest to lie about something like this. Offer an additional pet deposit and people who have animals themselves might understand and take you up on it. Otherwise wait for something properly suitable to come up.

No it wasn't. Not even remotely. You could have lied about having a pet, you could have lived in a different area until something else came up, you could have organised for the dog to stay in home boarding for a while until you got sorted- there's tonnes of things you could have done if you really REALLY wanted to.

I left my dog for 3 nights with a lady who minds dogs in her home recently. She currently has 2 dogs with her whose owner have had to emigrate. One only for a year- he would be coming back and taking the dog home again. The other had to leave quite suddenly, but he was working with the lady to get the dogs over to him as soon as possible- the dog had been there for 4 months already.

You take on a dog, you take on a responsibility. For life. Most dog owners who love their dogs don't take that fact lightly.

Sorry but I wasn't going to lie to my Landlord about having a pet and I can't believe you'd actually encourage someone to do that.
    To tell a LL you don't have a pet when you do?

Actually you said you found a place where you "WANTED" to live. Had you broadened your search area it is entirely possible that you could have found somewhere suitable for yourself and your dog.

Did you consider offering an increased security deposit as a guarantee to prospective landlords? Money is a fantastic incentive and could have given you the edge over other prospective tenants.

Owning a pet is a responsibility for a living creature. To most that is an obligation for the lifetime of that pet, to care for, feed and nurture that pet. A good few people I know would rather sleep in a tent than give up their pet if they couldn't find somewhere suitable to live, yet you think they should get their heads checked. They would probably say the same about your attitude to pets though.

Nope. I wanted to live in this particular area and I wasn't letting the fact I had a dog mean I had to live down the country or someplace.
    Why would I?

Be miserable in a house in the country, away from family and friends JUST because I had my dog with me?
    I think not!
    And my LL was adamant he did not want pets in his property, as was his wish. No amount of money would have swayed him.

Sorry but I wasn't going to lie to my Landlord about having a pet and I can't believe you'd actually encourage someone to do that.
    To tell a LL you don't have a pet when you do?

Well, if it's a choice between giving my dog up and lying, I know which I'd choose. Once the landlord meets you and has a couple of inspections, they're usually fine with it anyway, as I've previously said.

It's not ideal, and it doesn't feel good, but Irish landlords have ridiculous notions of the 'damage' caused by pets. As borderlinemeath said, people who rent with pets are usually massively grateful to have found somewhere that they don't want to jeopardize it by having a pet there that might cause damage.

I know I certainly go above and beyond to make sure my house is spotless purely because I know I'm lucky to have the place I do, especially now that there's an unspoken knowledge of my dog being here. They know I have her, they know the place is clean, we've just never spoken of it. In fact, the house attached to mine (same landlord) has recently been let to a lady with a dog, and I'm convinced it's because they see my dog and see that it's not a big deal.
    Nope. I wanted to live in this particular area and I wasn't letting the fact I had a dog mean I had to live down the country or someplace.
    Why would I?

Be miserable in a house in the country, away from family and friends JUST because I had my dog with me?
    I think not!
    And my LL was adamant he did not want pets in his property, as was his wish. No amount of money would have swayed him.

It doesn't have to be a house in the country ffs. It could have been a house the next town over. It's renting, not purchasing- it's flexible enough that you could have lived somewhere slightly less than ideal until something better came up.

Well, if it's a choice between giving my dog up and lying, I know which I'd choose. Once the landlord meets you and has a couple of inspections, they're usually fine with it anyway, as I've previously said.

It's not ideal, and it doesn't feel good, but Irish landlords have ridiculous notions of the 'damage' caused by pets. As borderlinemeath said, people who rent with pets are usually massively grateful to have found somewhere that they don't want to jeopardize it by having a pet there that might cause damage.

I know I certainly go above and beyond to make sure my house is spotless purely because I know I'm lucky to have the place I do, especially now that there's an unspoken knowledge of my dog being here. They know I have her, they know the place is clean, we've just never spoken of it. In fact, the house attached to mine (same landlord) has recently been let to a lady with a dog, and I'm convinced it's because they see my dog and see that it's not a big deal.

It doesn't have to be a house in the country ffs. It could have been a house the next town over. It's renting, not purchasing- it's flexible enough that you could have lived somewhere slightly less than ideal until something better came up

Nope, wasn't flexible. I wanted to live in that particular area and sorry, but I don't just move into a place hoping something better comes up.
    That's no way to live.
    I accept you're an animal lover and you wouldn't do what I did, but I would do it again if I had to. No bother.

Nope, wasn't flexible. I wanted to live in that particular area and sorry, but I don't just move into a place hoping something better comes up.
    That's no way to live.
    I accept you're an animal lover and you wouldn't do what I did, but I would do it again if I had to. No bother.

I was commenting on the fact that you said it was live on the streets V give up the pets. It clearly wasn't, you were just being fussy (heh) about where you lived.

You will do what you're going to do, but the OP- who started the thread- is an animal lover too, so really your particular point of view is moot here in this thread. She has a perspective you don't share, and you're not going to change her mind.

I do sincerely hope, not in a nasty way, that you don't decide to get a dog again, especially while you are renting. It's really not fair on the pet to think so little of giving them away. You're their world.

• Advertisement

I was commenting on the fact that you said it was live on the streets V give up the pets. It clearly wasn't, you were just being fussy (heh) about where you lived.

You will do what you're going to do, but the OP- who started the thread- is an animal lover too, so really your particular point of view is moot here in this thread. She has a perspective you don't share, and you're not going to change her mind.

I do sincerely hope, not in a nasty way, that you don't decide to get a dog again, especially while you are renting. It's really not fair on the pet to think so little of giving them away. You're their world.

You're encouraging her to lie about having a dog so YOUR opinion is moot.
    Lying to the LL for your own means..disgraceful.
    And no, I'd never get any other pet ever again.
    I like the freedom of my life without a dog tying me down! :D;)

So, Ramina, I live in Dublin. The place I wanted was in Dublin.
    Are you SERIOUSLY telling me I should have moved counties just to find somewhere that would accept a dog?
    Why shouldn't I take the apartment I wanted?!

fussyonion wrote:
    You're encouraging her to lie about having a dog so YOUR opinion is moot.

She asked for options in how to keep her dog and rent. I gave a solution that would allow her to do both. As long as the dog is causing no damage (it's an elderly dog, not a pup. All she want to do is sleep.) then no harm no foul. Your solution is not what the OP asked for.
    fussyonion wrote:
    And no, I'd never get any other pet ever again.
    I like the freedom of my life without a dog tying me down!

Excellent :D delighted to hear it.
    Are you SERIOUSLY telling me I should have moved counties just to find somewhere that would accept a dog?

Where did I say that??? I said towns. Not counties. If you live in Dublin, there's even more room to move about. The place is so densely packed together, there's always an option. So say you want to live in Rathmines. You might just have to make do with Ranelagh, or Dundrum, or Terenure until something more suitable comes up.

Plus, don't forget, I also mentioned other options, like boarding until you find somewhere. It removes the pressure when/if time is tight and you can find something better.

My sister rents in Rathmines with a dog, no problems with the landlord. She previously lived in Ranelagh and her landlord had no problems for 8 years of her living there. She only moved because he was selling the house, and he even offered her another year of holding onto the house and not selling it immediately if she couldn't find anywhere suitable.

Hilarious, making judgements about people who imprison animals and take them away from their own species as being animal lovers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ethically, keeping pets as decoration, entertainment and in your case, a substitute hot water bottle, is quite a distance from being an animal lover of any kind in my book.

And the people whos 5 year old drew on tables and destroyed furniture... What on earth? Is it only rented property this happens in, because my children don't do any such thing in my home.

Private landlords are well within their rights to not want their property being damaged.

Does anyone have any morals or values any more? Damaging other peoples property is not right. Encouraging lies and deceit is not right.

Who do you sleep with?

Members of my own species. Try it sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Because dogs are not allowed in almost every apartment complex? Because dogs in high density developments affect the quality of life of other residents? One of our neighbours got a dog and its barking disturbs approximately 60 other apartments, how fecking selfish are they? Dogs have no place in apartments

Hilarious, making judgements about people who imprison animals and take them away from their own species as being animal lovers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ethically, keeping pets as decoration, entertainment and in your case, a substitute hot water bottle, is quite a distance from being an animal lover of any kind in my book.

You're book is wrong I'm afraid. Dogs have been domesticated by man for over 15,000 years. The domestic dog is incapable of surviving by itself in the wild, with the very odd exception such as the working northern breed dogs that are semi feral, the inuit set them free to fend for themselves in the summertime.

If you left a dog with it's pups it would be a recipe for disaster as it wouldn't have the capability to send them away to fend for themselves and the brothers and sisters would mate with each other and produce pups that would highly likely have a genetic deformity (as humans can), that is if they haven't killed each other from infighting as related bitches can be extremely aggressive to each other, as can intact males.

As for pets being "decoration" are you ignorant to the fact that dogs have worked alongside man for thousands of years? Herding, guarding, shepherding? What about guide dogs, therapy dogs, assistance dogs? Dogs thrive, really really thrive on human companionship, you may consider yourself an animal lover but you don't really know a huge amount about the animal that we're discussing.
    And the people whos 5 year old drew on tables and destroyed furniture... What on earth? Is it only rented property this happens in, because my children don't do any such thing in my home.

Private landlords are well within their rights to not want their property being damaged.

Does anyone have any morals or values any more? Damaging other peoples property is not right. Encouraging lies and deceit is not right.

Some people who rent just don't have any respect for other peoples belongings. That's just the way it is. Most of the furniture was fine, as in the beds, wardrobes etc, but it seemed that the child wasn't given bounderies as to what to draw on.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Because dogs are not allowed in almost every apartment complex? Because dogs in high density developments affect the quality of life of other residents? One of our neighbours got a dog and its barking disturbs approximately 60 other apartments, how fecking selfish are they? Dogs have no place in apartments

I think we've crossed wires.
    I agree with you there.

• Advertisement

Riiiiight... You don't know what you're talking about. At all. Which is fine, you're not a dog lover, so I'll just leave it at that.

My table in my first apartment had been destroyed by kids- I sanded it and re varnished it myself to try salvage it. A nephew of my ex completely wrecked the rental house he lived in as a 4 year old by blocking the sink/bath and leaving the water run, causing massive water damage to the floor.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with you that landlords have the right to expect the property not to be damaged. I'm not even remotely disputing that. It's the automatic discrimination against people with pets that's not right. I have lived in my current property for over 3 years and not one single thing- absolutely nothing- has been damaged as a result of me having a dog. Nothing. Zip. Nada. What harm have I caused the landlord? It was a white lie as far as I'm concerned, and I'm an excellent tenant otherwise. I felt I had no choice at the time but to omit the fact or risk not finding somewhere.

(although, technically, since I was never asked about pets and never signed a contract, I didn't lie.)

Advertisement