Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody please help me! (Trying to rent with dog)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

pwurple wrote: »
    Members of my own species. Try it sometime.

:rolleyes:

Love how you only quoted this part to get your smart remark in. The part where I mentioned my husband sleeping in the bed would have just made your remark look a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

athtrasna wrote: »
    Because dogs are not allowed in almost every apartment complex? Because dogs in high density developments affect the quality of life of other residents? One of our neighbours got a dog and its barking disturbs approximately 60 other apartments, how fecking selfish are they? Dogs have no place in apartments

I'll assume this was addressed to me.

I agree with you that your neighbours are selfish. Someone near me got a small yappy dog recently that they leave outside all the time and it barks CONSTANTLY during the day. It's sad, upsetting, and annoying.

What I was hoping to get across is that each case of renting with a dog should be judged individually, otherwise it's just blatant discrimination IMO.

Like I said, I had an apartment that didn't allow pets. We had my dog there, plus several hamsters, plus we took over care of the feral cat colony there. My dog is quiet, in general. No issues from anyone regarding noise. My neighbours got a dog shortly after we moved in, and that dog was quiet. Never any problems. 2 more dogs popped up. Everyone was quietly going about their business in this apartment complex that had a no-pet rule, and there were never any complaints.

For every one troublesome dog (behind which is a troublesome owner), there are tonnes of not troublesome dogs.

Do you really, REALLY think the OPs 13 year old is going to spend all day barking and tearing the furniture apart? If you do, then you have clearly never met a 13 year old dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Afroshack wrote: »
    Would you do the same to your children? Thought not.

Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What I was hoping to get across is that each case of renting with a dog should be judged individually, otherwise it's just blatant discrimination IMO.

Many landlords won't have the knowledge to judge what a particular dog will be like. People will say anything to get what they want, references can't be trusted either, they are commonly forged (I wouldn't trust a reference for a person either).
    snyperwolf wrote: »
    my house doesn't smell like dog at the moment

Not everybody has the same sense of smell, I completely isolate myself from animals and can smell even a clean dog (or cat or other animal) from 5m away. My dad is an extremely clean person, his dog was kept very clean too, he really prides himself on everything being spotless but for a good six months after the dog was gone I couldn't visit his house without feeling sick from the smell. He said he couldn't smell it as all. Not a lot of people would be like me, but I'm sure there are lots somewhere in the middle. To a person that has never been within 2m of a dog, any dog can make even concrete walls smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

GarIT wrote: »
    Many landlords won't have the knowledge to judge what a particular dog will be like. People will say anything to get what they want, references can't be trusted either, they are commonly forged (I wouldn't trust a reference for a person either).

The same could be said for anything. People with kids, people with tattoos, people who smoke, students- you never know. It's a hazard of being a landlord that you never know, and it's one you sort of have to accept. There are soooo many things that can go wrong for you if you choose to rent a property.

The extend to which pet owners in Ireland get excuded is insane, however. No other country that I know of in the EU is as bad for pets and the renting market.
    GarIT wrote: »
    Not everybody has the same sense of smell, I completely isolate myself from animals and can smell even a clean dog (or cat or other animal) from 5m away. My dad is an extremely clean person, his dog was kept very clean too, he really prides himself on everything being spotless but for a good six months after the dog was gone I couldn't visit his house without feeling sick from the smell. He said he couldn't smell it as all. Not a lot of people would be like me, but I'm sure there are lots somewhere in the middle. To a person that has never been within 2m of a dog, any dog can make even concrete walls smell.

I'm the same with cigarette smoke. My first apartment reeked of it, and I had to pull every trick out of the book to get rid of it.

This is life. That's just something you have to deal with.

My friend would be very sensitive to the smell of dogs. She will never have her own dog. Hates the hair, hates the smell, hates the poop- all the trappings of it. Yet she will happily stay over with me in my bed, with the dog at the end, because it's clean and my dog doesn't smell badly enough for her to have any sort of objection.

It's often said that where there is a smelly dog, you will find a smelly dog bed. I think a large part of why my dog doesn't smell is because our bedding gets washed so frequently. I'd say if people start washing dog beds more often, any smell will dramatically reduce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nope, wasn't flexible. I wanted to live in that particular area and sorry, but I don't just move into a place hoping something better comes up.
    That's no way to live.
    I accept you're an animal lover and you wouldn't do what I did, but I would do it again if I had to. No bother.

Please never get another dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mr.S wrote: »
    Dogs have no place in small apartments.

My neighbour has a three bedroom duplex, it is not a small apartment!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Please never get another dog.

I won't? Swear to God people have insinuated I'm some kind of animal abuser when all I did was make a sensible LOGICAL decision. The dog went to a loving family...what exactly is my crime here??

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

When I got the first of my three dogs, I was living in a rented apartment that didn't allow pets. It wasn't a case of me deciding to just get a dog, I hadn't planned on getting one, it just happened to be the way things turned out.
    The landlord never found out. He was the type never to come near the place anyway. When we moved out, he had no inkling a dog had been in the apartment. He even gave us money back on top of the deposit for stuff we had fixed ourselves in the place.
    We moved to a rented house after. It took a while to find a place that was decent, so when we did we decided to say nothing about the dog as we didn't want to lose the house. The landlord eventually found out...we told him (we had two dogs at this stage). We said the dogs had belonged to a relative who was in hospital. He didn't bat an eyelid. He hardly ever came near us, so would never have found out had we not told him.
    It's not ideal, and there are risks attached. However, the OH and I were both prepared to accept the consequences if found out and the dogs objected to by the landlord...if the dogs had to go, we were going with them. In my book, a little white lie like that is preferable to disposing of pets...actually, it doesn't even compare.
    OP, another option if you don't want to lie yet...I'm not sure if you have tried it...would maybe be to try and get accepted to a property and then, on the day you go to sign the lease, hand over deposit etc, mention your dog at the last minute? They may be more willing to entertain you, or at least contact the landlord about the dog if you otherwise seem like ideal tenants. Or if you're viewing with a landlord directly, if they say they'll accept you as a tenant, mention the dog...if they meet you in person, they may be more amenable.

I won't? Swear to God people have insinuated I'm some kind of animal abuser when all I did was make a sensible LOGICAL decision. The dog went to a loving family...what exactly is my crime here??

What would you have done if you had nobody to take the dog off your hands?

• Advertisement

What would you have done if you had nobody to take the dog off your hands?

Sold him obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The same could be said for anything. People with kids, people with tattoos, people who smoke, students- you never know. It's a hazard of being a landlord that you never know, and it's one you sort of have to accept. There are soooo many things that can go wrong for you if you choose to rent a property.

The extend to which pet owners in Ireland get excuded is insane, however. No other country that I know of in the EU is as bad for pets and the renting market.

I'm the same with cigarette smoke. My first apartment reeked of it, and I had to pull every trick out of the book to get rid of it.

This is life. That's just something you have to deal with.

My friend would be very sensitive to the smell of dogs. She will never have her own dog. Hates the hair, hates the smell, hates the poop- all the trappings of it. Yet she will happily stay over with me in my bed, with the dog at the end, because it's clean and my dog doesn't smell badly enough for her to have any sort of objection.

It's often said that where there is a smelly dog, you will find a smelly dog bed. I think a large part of why my dog doesn't smell is because our bedding gets washed so frequently. I'd say if people start washing dog beds more often, any smell will dramatically reduce.

My point was that there is no way I could tell what a dog would be like in a house. You mentioned a list of different types of people, while there are a lot of people who can't distinguish between dogs I doubt there are many that can't get an idea of a person from talking to them. I just don't know enough about dogs to be comfortable with one in a place I was renting out.

There are many risks involved with renting, but taking on more that aren't necessary isn't something I or many other landlords would want to do. You also said that's life and you have to deal with it, you don't actually, I can avoid extra cleaning work by avoiding tenants with pets, so no I don't have to deal with it.

She is obviously less sensitive then me, most people probably are, I've never found a dog that doesn't smell. I'm not saying it's a dirty smell, just a dog smell, which I find repulsive.

Sold him obviously.

Urgh, yeah, please never get another dog.

Urgh, yeah, please never get another dog.

Urgh yourself sweetie
    What EXACTLY is wrong with selling a dog?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urgh yourself sweetie

:pac: Oh lordie.

What EXACTLY is wrong with selling a dog?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's get a dog!

"I love you, doggie, I lovie wovie dove you. Oh wait, I need to move. Time to get you sold!"

Such commitment!

Don't get a pet if you can't envisage how it will fit into future life changes. Did you think about that before getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Right, the smart arsed snide bitchy comments are to stop now.
    If you can't offer constructive advice to the OP then don't post.

I'm tired of reading all the judgmental posts.

As someone who has worked at an animal shelter, fussyonion's attitude is depressingly common and it is NOT judgmental to state this. I'm sick of people treating pets like disposable accessories. So I'm perfectly happy with receiving a warning or whatever in writing this post. Rather someone get fed up people criticising the practice when it's brought up than nothing being said at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

After reading this thread, I think I'm going to arrange a inspection with my tenants......

After reading this thread, I think I'm going to arrange a inspection with my tenants......

I've mentioned before, as tenants go, the ones that have dogs tend to be far more considerate towards a rented property as they know that the rental pool is far smaller for pet owners.

Hypothetically speaking, what if your tenants were excellent, they paid their rent early, they maintained and enhanced gardens, and didn't bother you for the petty things but took care of them out of their own pocket. Then they approached you and said they were considering getting a dog. Would you give them notice? Or tell them that it would be breaking their contract, or threaten them with eviction? Or would you trust your judgement and let them rent with a pet?

I think the problem with renting with pets is that our rental market tends to focus on short term tenancies (a year, maybe 2) and redecoration and end of tenancy deep cleaning falls to the landlord to cover in costs. It's always a worry with any tenancy that the property gets left in a shiit condition. Due to past experience I'm wary of renting to people with young children, but would have far less of a worry to somebody who has a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Riiiiight... You don't know what you're talking about. At all. Which is fine, you're not a dog lover, so I'll just leave it at that.
    I am a dog lover. I've had a working dog, on a farm as a child. That makes sense. Animals deserve to have some dignity. I hate seeing them overbred for looks sake to the point where they need medical help to survive, put down when they are inconvenient, dressed up in stupid costumes, abandoned, drowned, puppy farms for the christmas market. This is what encouraging "having pets" becomes. People bragging about the fluffiness of their latest living breathing accessory. Then it turns to an inconvenience and hassle when they realise it makes no earthly sense to keep a dog in an apartment, or worse, locked into a tiny back garden all alone while they are out at work. It's a zillion miles away from a working dog, who has companionship and activity all day long. Unless your "hot water bottle" is herding sheep for you during the day?
    It was a white lie as far as I'm concerned, and I'm an excellent tenant otherwise.
    Yeah yeah, lies are 'white' alright. Falsifing tax affairs, grand... corruption, no worries. I hope you never complain about crime or govt corruption, seeing as lies are AOK.

OP needs to stay put, or arrange alternative home for the dog. Bringing a countryside dog into the city center is going to be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've mentioned before, as tenants go, the ones that have dogs tend to be far more considerate towards a rented property as they know that the rental pool is far smaller for pet owners.

Only the ones who are truthful I'd say. In my experience, the liars do considerable damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

As a landlord I have spent a lot of time and money fixing damage that children have caused to my properties. I have spent nothing on damage caused by pets.

If landlords are that worried about it they should take an extra deposit. Give me a 13 year old dog over kids under 10 any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm a LL: I allow tenants with cats in my property because I had a cat and there's a cat-door installed. But it's unfurnished, and if the cat shred's the curtains replacements will be taken from the deposit.

I'm also a tenant. My neighbours got a small dog, without the LL's permission. I didn't have any problems with it. But the businesses downstairs did, because it barked a lot during the day when the owners were at work. So the LL told them that either they or the dog needed to go. They said they would go - and then they didn't!

Cats - yes.
    Dogs - no!
    IMHO.

OP, if your dog lives in the country now, it needs a country home.

Your call - live in the country and cater to the dogs needs. Or live in the city and cater to your own need to not have a long commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Mr.S wrote: »
    Dogs have no place in small apartments.

any toybreed would fit in fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

I really wish the rental market in Ireland and the UK wasn't seen as such a second class option. I'll be renting for around another 5-6 years before I can even think of buying and I hate the attitude that I can't be trusted to respect a property or to keep my living conditions to a high standard just because I don't own the house. Obviously there are problem tenants, but a system that treats everyone as though they're potential scumbags doesn't encourage any more investment in looking after a property.

My friends are Swedish and they couldn't believe the attitude to renting with pets here! There a lot of people rent for their whole lives and are encouraged to take responsibility for the property, which is their family home. Be it pets, redecorating, whatever...people can take pride in where they live and make an effort to keep improving/maintaining it because it's their home as much as an owned flat would be, unlike here where you're constantly reminded you're living in someone else's house and on their terms. Grr!

I'm a LL: I allow tenants with cats in my property because I had a cat and there's a cat-door installed. But it's unfurnished, and if the cat shred's the curtains replacements will be taken from the deposit.

I'm also a tenant. My neighbours got a small dog, without the LL's permission. I didn't have any problems with it. But the businesses downstairs did, because it barked a lot during the day when the owners were at work. So the LL told them that either they or the dog needed to go. They said they would go - and then they didn't!

Cats - yes.
    Dogs - no!
    IMHO.

OP, if your dog lives in the country now, it needs a country home.

Your call - live in the country and cater to the dogs needs. Or live in the city and cater to your own need to not have a long commute.

Don't agree.
    1) Dog is elderly - he will not need as much exercise as a young dog. In fact, he'll probably needs no more than half an hour walking a day . There are great parks in Cork, and there is something like dog walking services.

Whilst i would agree - to a degree - that a working dog needs a working environment, the situation per dog differs.And in this case, country home for country dog does not apply.

Only the ones who are truthful I'd say. In my experience, the liars do considerable damage.

And the ones without pets statistically have a bigger chance of being liars and creating havoc. They know they can move on a whim, without worrying about a new landlord taking on a tenant with a pet.

In your experience, have you ever had a pet do damage to your rental property? Or would you refuse to take them on moral grounds in that you don't agree that people should keep pets?
    I am a dog lover. I've had a working dog, on a farm as a child. That makes sense. Animals deserve to have some dignity. I hate seeing them overbred for looks sake to the point where they need medical help to survive, put down when they are inconvenient, dressed up in stupid costumes, abandoned, drowned, puppy farms for the christmas market. This is what encouraging "having pets" becomes. People bragging about the fluffiness of their latest living breathing accessory. Then it turns to an inconvenience and hassle when they realise it makes no earthly sense to keep a dog in an apartment, or worse, locked into a tiny back garden all alone while they are out at work. It's a zillion miles away from a working dog, who has companionship and activity all day long. Unless your "hot water bottle" is herding sheep for you during the day?

There are also many different breeds suitable for apartment living, how do you think other countries and major cities who have a high percentage of apartment living cope with pet ownership? They choose their breed carefully, they employ dog walkers and use doggy day cares. Plenty of dogs live very fulfilling lives in apartments.

As for the "hot water bottle" comment, there's no need to be so nasty to a poster who has an emotional bond to their pet. I do find that people from the farming community are almost immune to that emotional bond, due to rearing livestock for the food chain and viewing animals as a livelyhood and nothing more. It's a necessary detachment I suppose, but the cattyness to other posters who do view their pets as family is a bit much don't you think?

And the ones without pets statistically have a bigger chance of being liars and creating havoc. They know they can move on a whim, without worrying about a new landlord taking on a tenant with a pet.

In your experience, have you ever had a pet do damage to your rental property? Or would you refuse to take them on moral grounds in that you don't agree that people should keep pets?

Overbred, puppy farms etc is not the only method of pet ownership. And as for dogs getting drowned, that tends to be a method that stemmed from the farming community, so they're not entirely blameless either. The majority of abandoned puppies tend to be collies or crosses, as farmers are reluctant to spay and neuter their working dogs, letting them breed indiscriminately.

As for dogs getting "dressed up" you do realise that different breeds of dogs have different requirements for heating? Greyhounds, whippets, staffies, even boxers, all have very little body fat and a thin coat that needs to be covered when the temperatures drop. Some of the smaller breeds like yorkies who have hair rather than fur would be the same, so it's not about dressing up a doll or a toy, it's an actual requirement to ensure their comfort.

There are also many different breeds suitable for apartment living, how do you think other countries and major cities who have a high percentage of apartment living cope with pet ownership? They choose their breed carefully, they employ dog walkers and use doggy day cares. Plenty of dogs live very fulfilling lives in apartments.

As for the "hot water bottle" comment, there's no need to be so nasty to a poster who has an emotional bond to their pet. I do find that people from the farming community are almost immune to that emotional bond, due to rearing livestock for the food chain and viewing animals as a livelyhood and nothing more. It's a necessary detachment I suppose, but the cattyness to other posters who do view their pets as family is a bit much don't you think?

+1. WELL SAID.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

3 full steam cleans couldn't get the dog hair out of the carpet,

Of course it wouldn't.:confused: That's a bizarre way to try remove dog hairs as there is no physical way for steam to remove them. Steam removes stains and odours, not physical objects. You brush hair out, then hoover any remnants and lastly, if there is a smell, you steam that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks infractions handed out for ignoring my previous mod instruction.
    This is Accommodation and Property, not a forum for animal welfare or pet lovers. Next person to step over the line will be banned.

Advertisement