Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody please help me! (Trying to rent with dog)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

iguana wrote: »
    Of course it wouldn't.:confused: That's a bizarre way to try remove dog hairs as there is no physical way for steam to remove them. Steam removes stains and odours, not physical objects. You brush hair out, then hoover any remnants and lastly, if there is a smell, you steam that out.

Dyson Animal, we only have the hand held one but it works a treat every time, carpet is entirely hair free, in saying that we have a greyhound so very little shedding and doesn't produce the same oils that other breeds do so very little smell also. I do think that certain breeds suit certain lifestyles and living situations better, research is key, to blindly turn around to all pet owners and say no is a bit silly really a little bit of getting to know your future tenants in person should be done regardless and would go a long way towards telling you how responsible they will be with your property.

I guess when people are ringing you up offering a deposit on a place before they've seen it why bother take anyone but what you view to be the perfect fit for your property, in my opinion it is very short sighted and ignorant and probably the reason why lots of properties end up getting ransacked by problem tenants....to the op I would say it's easier to ask for forgiveness then permission...

Of course it wouldn't.:confused: That's a bizarre way to try remove dog hairs as there is no physical way for steam to remove them. Steam removes stains and odours, not physical objects. You brush hair out, then hoover any remnants and lastly, if there is a smell, you steam that out.

It was hoovered and brushed, and the smell remained... hence the steam cleaning.

Damage was done, permanently damamged carpet I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Why would a landlord want to have to start brushing all the carpets when they could have pet-free renters?

I've mentioned before, as tenants go, the ones that have dogs tend to be far more considerate towards a rented property as they know that the rental pool is far smaller for pet owners.

Hypothetically speaking, what if your tenants were excellent, they paid their rent early, they maintained and enhanced gardens, and didn't bother you for the petty things but took care of them out of their own pocket. Then they approached you and said they were considering getting a dog. Would you give them notice? Or tell them that it would be breaking their contract, or threaten them with eviction? Or would you trust your judgement and let them rent with a pet?

I think the problem with renting with pets is that our rental market tends to focus on short term tenancies (a year, maybe 2) and redecoration and end of tenancy deep cleaning falls to the landlord to cover in costs. It's always a worry with any tenancy that the property gets left in a shiit condition. Due to past experience I'm wary of renting to people with young children, but would have far less of a worry to somebody who has a pet.

Actually as a pet owner myself, I see the amount of damage that even a good pet can do. My dog has suddenly decided she likes to scratch and eat one particular skirting board. And the legs of my side table in the sitting room are slowly getting chewed away (but only when no one is watching....). I accept this is part and parcel of dog ownership and I'm "happy" to accept it in my own home as I can do the repairs/replacements whenever I get sick and tired of looking at the damaged ones. I don't want to have to deal with that in my rental property on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Actually as a pet owner myself, I see the amount of damage that even a good pet can do. My dog has suddenly decided she likes to scratch and eat one particular skirting board. And the legs of my side table in the sitting room are slowly getting chewed away (but only when no one is watching....). I accept this is part and parcel of dog ownership and I'm "happy" to accept it in my own home as I can do the repairs/replacements whenever I get sick and tired of looking at the damaged ones. I don't want to have to deal with that in my rental property on a regular basis.

Crate training. Saves your belongings from getting destroyed, saves your dog from ingesting something it shouldn't. :)

Crate training. Saves your belongings from getting destroyed, saves your dog from ingesting something it shouldn't. :)

...like socks...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

pwurple wrote: »
    It was hoovered and brushed, and the smell remained... hence the steam cleaning.

Damage was done, permanently damamged carpet I'm afraid.

But you said you tried steam cleaning 3 times and couldn't remove the hair. If you tried using a steam cleaner before removing all the hair, that was what would have made the damage permanent. Steam cleaners send pressurised jets of steam down into the pile. If there was dog hairs still in the carpet, that would have just knotted the hair and pile together, embedding it further, possibly permanently.
    Why would a landlord want to have to start brushing all the carpets when they could have pet-free renters?

They shouldn't have to. The tenant should have cleaned it before leaving, though in this case they were evicted so probably didn't feel like doing it. (Not that they were in the right but I suspect not many people are bothered to do a thorough clean following an eviction.) But when a landlord is left with a dirty carpet, for whatever reason, they should clean it effectively rather than employ a pointless, or even damaging, method to clean it, make the situation worse and have to replace the whole thing. A few hours spent painstakingly getting the hairs out before cleaning it, and a carpet shampooer would be far more effective than steam, would be far more cost and time effective than spending hours doing it wrong then replacing it anyway.

And if you just want to make life as a landlord as easy as possible... avoid carpet entirely. A hardwearing solid floor, like a modern lino, will cause a lot less headaches for a landlord as they are made to last for a couple of decades, even for pet owners and young families, and even the dirtiest one will clean up well after 20 minutes with a flatmop.

• Advertisement

But you said you tried steam cleaning 3 times and couldn't remove the hair. If you tried using a steam cleaner before removing all the hair, that was what would have made the damage permanent. Steam cleaners send pressurised jets of steam down into the pile. If there was dog hairs still in the carpet, that would have just knotted the hair and pile together, embedding it further, possibly permanently.

Think you misread me there iguana... the hoovering etc was done before the steam cleaning. Steam cleaning was last ditch attempt to save myself 800 euro of re-carpetting.

I think these particular people had their dog sleeping directly on the carpet? And possibly pissing on it. The smell was unreal. Even when I took the carpet out, to get rid of it after all the cleaning attempts, I had to leave the doors open in the vehicle I used to transport it for a few days to get rid of the smell.

This was a bedroom and upstairs area. Lino in a bedroom? Tough one I think. The floorboards are too uneven to sand down. It's carpet.

Think you misread me there iguana... the hoovering etc was done before the steam cleaning. Steam cleaning was last ditch attempt to save myself 800 euro of re-carpetting.

I think these particular people had their dog sleeping directly on the carpet? And possibly pissing on it. The smell was unreal. Even when I took the carpet out, to get rid of it after all the cleaning attempts, I had to leave the doors open in the vehicle I used to transport it for a few days to get rid of the smell.

This was a bedroom and upstairs area. Lino in a bedroom? Tough one I think. The floorboards are too uneven to sand down. It's carpet.

That would be extremely unfair. I rent with plenty of animals, and I already know i will have to replace whatever carpet is in the house (in fact i have already replaced the carpet in the hallway and bedroom with high quality lino) and the living room is next. Thats what a responsible pet owning tenant does. I am sorry you had such a bad experience.Anything and everything that gets damaged will be replaced by something new.That way, it's a good deal for the landlord as well as most likely he will have a lot of new stuff replacing the old one..:rolleyes:

Actually, a good cutter will be able to work with uneven surfaces.You just need to choose a thicker lino, that's what i have done as in the hallway some parts of very old lino were still glued to the cement floor and made it uneven.

doubter wrote: »
    Actually, a good cutter will be able to work with uneven surfaces.You just need to choose a thicker lino, that's what i have done as in the hallway some parts of very old lino were still glued to the cement floor and made it uneven.

What I meant was that lino in a bedroom would be weird...? I wouldn't like it anyway. I've certainly never had it in any hosue I've lived in.

I've got great tenants at the moment though. They are perfectly normal people, happy with the place, they don't lie, damage beyond a bit of wear and tear, or piss off the neighbours. So I don't think I need to spend on putting things like lino into a bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What I meant was that lino in a bedroom would be weird...? I wouldn't like it anyway. I've certainly never had it in any hosue I've lived in.

I've got great tenants at the moment though. They are perfectly normal people, happy with the place, they don't lie, damage beyond a bit of wear and tear, or piss off the neighbours. So I don't think I need to spend on putting things like lino into a bedroom.

My last three rentals have all been wooden floors throughout with carpeted stairs and landing. Has worked well. Houses were all of different ages so I assume landlords have just added the floors over time

wasn't saying that. Just saying it's an option. I have lino in the bedroom, it's oak designed, 6mm thick and feels very warm. And it's certainly a LOT cleaner than carpet..especially with 2 dogs in bed lol

doubter wrote: »
    wasn't saying that. Just saying it's an option. I have lino in the bedroom, it's oak designed, 6mm thick and feels very warm. And it's certainly a LOT cleaner than carpet..especially with 2 dogs in bed lol

It's not a great option though. I could just save myself that hassle, money and work, and pick my tenants to suit the place as it currently exists.

Really, there is zero incentive for me to go flushing money down the toilet on doing things that won't suit most people. There are LOADS of tenants who are perfectly happy with the flooring. When I advertise, I get plenty of applicants. Why would I go ripping up flooring and changing it for a sub-optimal tenant who comes with additional damage risks? Doesn't make any sense I'm afraid.

Seeing as this isn't the Animal and Pets forum, how I train my dog is not the issue here. The point is that renting to pet owners can be problematic and there are reasons why some landlords won't

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Seeing as this isn't the Animal and Pets forum, how I train my dog is not the issue here. The point is that renting to pet owners can be problematic and there are reasons why some landlords won't

There is also the issue of allergies, the LL would need to ensure that the premises is removed of all pet hair and dander before renting to new tenants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Tell them nothing. Deal with any situations when they happen but you will make life much easier for yourself by getting a place first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

There is also the issue of allergies, the LL would need to ensure that the premises is removed of all pet hair and dander before renting to new tenants.

Also an issue in common areas if the rented premises is in a shared building.

The landlord is responsible for ensuring tenants conform to community regulations in shared buildings as well so a landlord who finds out about your dog is more or less obligated to ask you to leave or move the dog elsewhere. He'll have to deal with the managing company otherwise and most landlords are not going to go through that for someone else's pet.

OP, save yourself the hassle and stress of always worrying if you will be given notice to leave if your secret is discovered and wait for a pets allowed rental to become available. It may take longer but at least you can settle there in peace after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I know many people living in rented houses with pets, even though the houses were advertised as "no pets". Never in a million years could I give away my pet just because I want to live in a certain area...completely bizarre to me!

We got our family pet from the pounnd, he was given in at 1 year of ages, so the previous owners must have had him a year. He was given in because he was "too hyper" :confused: I don't know how you could ever give away a pet!

Saying that, some dogs do smell. So I can understand where some people are coming from. I viewed a house once and the smell of dog was very overwhelming. A friend of mine has a dog and it's all you can smell in the house. But it's just some dogs... our dog at home never smells, same with some of my friend's dogs. Puppies can ruin houses, like eating everything! That wouldn't be a worry with an older dog though.

Anyway, OP I live in Cork city, and it is impossible to get good houses at the moment. Rent is gone up, there is loads of demand...so I really don't think a landlord will accept an extra deposit or anything like that. Although I don't know if I condone lying to a landlord either...might be your only option if you really want to move near to the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You're thinking of old style lino, the modern stuff is a world away from that. It's stunning, the wood print looks nearly as good as a good quality wood floor but is significantly more hardwearing and almost totally maintenance free. It's made to stand up to 20 years of intensive family life and in a bedroom would probably last longer. It's the perfect flooring for a landlord as your tenants would have to actively try to destroy it in order to cause as much damage as a simple accident could cause to carpet. I'd read about it and seen it on tv and thought it looks interesting but a friend recently had it put down and it's honestly fantastic stuff. I'd be surprised if anything but a small minority would choose carpet over it after seeing it.

You're thinking of old style lino, the modern stuff is a world away from that. It's stunning, the wood print looks nearly as good as a good quality wood floor but is significantly more hardwearing and almost totally maintenance free. It's made to stand up to 20 years of intensive family life and in a bedroom would probably last longer. It's the perfect flooring for a landlord as your tenants would have to actively try to destroy it in order to cause as much damage as a simple accident could cause to carpet. I'd read about it and seen it on tv and thought it looks interesting but a friend recently had it put down and it's honestly fantastic stuff. I'd be surprised if anything but a small minority would choose carpet over it after seeing it.

Old style lino?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Tell them nothing. Deal with any situations when they happen but you will make life much easier for yourself by getting a place first.

I'm a landlord and a tenant of sorts at the moment, and to be honest it's this kind of mentality that would make me not go out on a limb for a tenant, in setting aside a 'no pets' clause. If I found out that a tenant had taken this stance with me from the beginning, I'd ask them to leave for breach of the terms of the lease, because the precedent has already been set that my tenant will happily lie to me to get their own way.

I've no doubt that there are good and bad pets out there, but bottom line is that this property is my investment, and possibly my home a few years down the line, and as such I get to set the terms (within the confines of the law) at which I rent it out. And for me, I don't want to worry about having to try and get the smell of catpiss out from the flooring underlay, or possibly have to rip up carpets that shouldn't need to be replaced. And that's my prerogative.

Sad but true fact is, that if you are willing to take on a pet, then you have to take on the restrictions that go with it too.... or else hold off on having a pet until you have a place of your own. In this instance, the OP has a roof over their head in Mallow, they want to move to the city, and unfortunately they may have to priorotise their needs based on the housing that's available, not the other way around.

Advertisement