Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Grandfather

Options
  • 04-11-2014 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,
    My name is Vicky Kenny, and I recently found out the name of my grandfather after pestering my dad for a long time. I'm 19 so I think that he may still be alive and I really want to make contact before it's too late. I have tried all of the ancestry sites that I can. He was from Dublin at the time but that was over 50 years ago, so I have no idea where he could be. If anybody has gone through something similar I would really like to know how you found the person you were looking for.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have you checked the electoral register?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vickymkenny

eviltwin wrote:
    Have you checked the electoral register?

is that online?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Try the adoption forum as they are good at tracing people:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It helps a lot if you have an address, a street name or even a district.
    Thoms Street Directory is very useful, there was one every year and the streets in Alphabetical order!
    Likewise the voters registers but i do not know if the old ones were kept on file - probably were.
    Also, if you knew the year of his birth then a birth certificate would give some information...the Census is online so if you knew the address that would offer some clues too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

OP, have you thought of looking in the phone book? Simple but might be useful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement