Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin council seek investors to build 1500 homes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

It's pretty obvious that Dublin city council hasn't learnt anything in the last 30 years. Why are they suggesting that low density homes be built in prime land. When they should be building high density apartment blocks. Building 1,500 homes isnt going to make a dent in the lack of supply in Dublin.

If DCC wants to make a difference in the housing shortages in Dublin. They should flatten all the low density housing that they have in Dublin 1,2 and 7 which is in the middle of the city. Then rebuild it with high density apartments. That would make a real difference to the lack of housing supply in Dublin. It could be funded through PPP so it doesn't cost anyone anything

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

hfallada wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that Dublin city council hasn't learnt anything in the last 30 years. Why are they suggesting that low density homes be built in prime land. When they should be building high density apartment blocks. Building 1,500 homes isnt going to make a dent in the lack of supply in Dublin.

If DCC wants to make a difference in the housing shortages in Dublin. They should flatten all the low density housing that they have in Dublin 1,2 and 7 which is in the middle of the city. Then rebuild it with high density apartments. That would make a real difference to the lack of housing supply in Dublin. It could be funded through PPP so it doesn't cost anyone anything

high density was tried before in Ballymun and that didn't turn out to well. If done properly it could but I think the Irish would not look after buildings like this as good as on the continent of Europe as we have a tentancy to disregard our neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

400 new homes for Cherry Orchard. Lots of room there for sure but I hope Ballyfermot Garda station get some extra resources as they're not coping with Cherry Orchard at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

mikemac1 wrote: »
    400 new homes for Cherry Orchard. Lots of room there for sure but I hope Ballyfermot Garda station get some extra resources as they're not coping with Cherry Orchard at the moment.

The economy is booming again at 4.6% growth this year i'm sure they will ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

high density was tried before in Ballymun and that didn't turn out to well. If done properly it could but I think the Irish would not look after buildings like this as good as on the continent of Europe as we have a tentancy to disregard our neighbours

And yet Manhattan has nearly 70k people per sq mile and although it has social issues, they are pretty average for a large city. By building high rises in NYC, people arent forced to live in commuter towns an hour drive like Dublin city. People have a higher standard of living, as its easier and cheap to provide services in high density area eg like the NYC subway.

The problem with Ballymun was the people that were put and blaming it on the housing was the easiest thing to do. People of a similar social class were put into Finglas and Coolock, which also had the similar social issues to Ballymun. Like levels of progression into third level, high unemployment, high crime rates etc. But they lived in low density housing. Housing wasnt what caused the failure of Ballymun. It was putting people into an area with a lack of resources to thrive in live(the exact same thing pretty much happened in Limerick).

Dublin cant keep sprawling like an American city into the suburbs. Dublin will eventually have to go up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

It doesn't have to go high like Ballymun was. Perhaps 3 storey housing instead? The site off Coolock Lane is in an area of semi-D land, build a mix of apts and houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

highrise doesn't mean you get criminals and social problems. Some of the most expensive homes in the world are in high rise apartment blocks.
    The difference being that
    a) they bought them or pay big rent
    B) they work instead of blaming the gubberment
    C) they don't let their kids run wild

Now don't get me wrong, there were good people in Ballymun, clondalkin and Ballyfermot, the issue was putting an entire class of people into a small space, some of whom were a word that will get me a warning.

However putting hardworking people, even if they are from the lower classes f society, in with the life timers on the dole has its own social issues. Why work hard, pay big rent to live close to the city centre and struggle to raise two kids, when Johnny on the dole or the scam that is disability (it's seriously abused) all his life, has the same size house and has his 6 kids raised and fed through social payments from the state. That breeds anger in the working class.

Advertisement