Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Commuter Bag

Options
  • 04-11-2014 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi I know this may have been covered somewhere else, but I'm looking for a decent bag for commuting to work. I need space for a laptop, change of clothes, lunch & a few small bits. Needs to be comfortable and possibly water proof( not essential as have rain cover). I travel 30k round trip through city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I have the Osprey Escapist 25 almost a year now. No complaints and fits a good bit. Review here.

I find it very durable and well made.

The heavier end of a commuting load for me would be : Jeans, shirt, shoes, laptop (13 inch in a padded case), charger cable, small d-lock, maybe lunch. Keys, wallet, and phone all fit nicely into the different pockets. That's approaching max capacity for me in terms of comfort, but I've fitted more in when needed like a light jacket or heavy jumper and more. Once you get the zips closed it's grand.

Day to day commuting, I usually just have clothes (leave my shoes in work) and it's very comfortable. Handy strap pockets for phone and keys. The pockets on the straps might be a bit small for a big smart phone though. iPhone 4s fits perfect as a reference. Has a rain cover too, and space for a camel back. Loads of adjusters get the right fit.

There's also a dividing feature where you and close off the bottom third of the bag. Handy when you have smaller loads and you don't want everything hanging down the bottom. Also handy for separating things like shoes, or food.

The reflectors on the back offer decent visibility at night too.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

I can't post URLs. Search for lomo cycling bag. I haven't used it but have had it recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    I have the Osprey Escapist 25

I also have the Osprey Escapist (but the smaller 15L one). It's a great commuter bag for cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I use the 30L Deuter TransAlp (in black & grey).....

Deuter_Trans-Alpine-30-Bag-rucksack-blue_2013.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Great bag.

I also use - for shorter journeys - a 'tactical briefcase' I picked up on a recent trip to the States - very comfy and almost infinitely configurable for carrying different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

+1 for the Osprey. Not using it at present but have used it in the past and it is great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I have a Carradice Nelson attached to the seat post with the QR system (and I love it)... Since comfort is a requirement here, have you ever considered a back-free commute?
    Keep your arse dry as well if you're not using mudguards...
    I usually bring change of clothes and lunchbox. Laptop could fit, but depends on how big it is...
    The SuperC will defo take a laptop as well)
    http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&url=sqrtour

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

Hey guys I hate hijacking OP's thread (but I'm gunna anyway!) can anyone recommend a decent rucksack with room to fit a full face helmet in as well as all the other stuff that should be taken while out MTB'ing.
    Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement