Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy licence

• 04-11-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

just got a new puppy 5 days ago and dog warden banging on my door for a licence. how does the warden know i got a dog? maybe i should have directed him to a house with an unmussled bull masstiff.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

With all due respect, the old "why aren't you out catching murderers" line that people with untaxed cars say to guards is no defense, and there is no quicker way to pee a law enforcement officer off than to attempt it.
    Who knows how he knew? Did you ask him? Maybe he just happened to be doing door-to-door checks. Maybe he saw your pup. Maybe a neighour reported you. What does it matter?
    Whilst they'll often play fair with owners and give them some grace to go get a license, they have no legal requirement to do so, and peeing them off is a quick way to make them lose any leeway they might otherwise have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

thanku DBB.
    i was at work and my question was How did he know if i got a new dog as i havent taken him out.
    why have u gone on such a rant!
    bad day at the office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

cmat wrote: »
    thanku DBB.
    i was at work and my question was How did he know if i got a new dog as i havent taken him out.
    bad day at the office!

Maybe he was just doing the rounds because he should've known you have no legal entitlement to get a dog licence until puppy is 4 months old. (according to Dspca.ie - googled on phone can't post links)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

thanku DBB.
    bad day at the office!

You are supposed to have a license so go get one

One of your neighbours have told the Dog warden

Pretzill wrote: »
    Maybe he was just doing the rounds because he should've known you have no legal entitlement to get a dog licence until puppy is 4 months old. (according to Dspca.ie - googled on phone can't post links)

No, a puppy must be licensed once it's away from its dam. A puppy still with the dam doesn't have to be licensed until 4 months of age (Section 5(e)):):
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0005.html
    thanku DBB.
    bad day at the office!

Ah now, any rant I went on was in response to your attempt at deflection that he pursue your neighbour rather than you. You're meant to have a license. Whether your neighbour's dog has a muzzle or not has no bearing whatsoever on your own responsibilities :)
    And thanks for asking, but I actually had an excellent day at the office :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DBB wrote: »
    No, a puppy must be licensed once it's away from its dam. A puppy still with the dam doesn't have to be licensed until 4 months of age (Section 5(e)):):

:)

That's interesting because I can't imagine many cases where a pup would still be with it's mother at 4 months unless a breeder was holding on to the pups until older or just by chance you kept a pup from a litter. I always thought there was a little leeway at very young puppy age - as pups may not be fully vaccinated yet and wouldn't be out and a about.

However to OP they normally give you a few days to sort it out - the money acrued from licensing hopefully I think goes back into the system - and you can buy a lifetime licence or renew online to avoid them calling again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The warden knocked on our door a week after I got one of mine - he was going around the area..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Pretzill wrote: »
    That's interesting because I can't imagine many cases where a pup would still be with it's mother at 4 months unless a breeder was holding on to the pups until older or just by chance you kept a pup from a litter.

Some pups can be held by a breeder until they are 6 months if the breeder feels that the pup is a show prospect or that they are intending on the pup being sold to someone to a show home rather than as a pet. If they sell a puppy at 8 weeks+ it's nothing more than a "nice puppy" to them, as they have yet to show if they have potential in the ring.

I got one of my boys at 4/5 months of age from the breeder, he was going to be sold abroad because he thought he had great potential (as well as having a bit of a soft spot for him because he is so gentle and obedient, even as a puppy, he got a bit teary eyed when he sold him to us :o ), but I think the fact my boy easily gets overwhelmed and a bit jumpy was what swayed him to be sold to a pet home.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Pretzill wrote:

thx a million Prezill.
    il get a licence tomorrow anyway. Must give my littleman a legal identity!

thx everyone. whats the situation with passport as we travel wales every year in a camper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

DBB wrote: »

That's interesting, as I was told by a person in the warden's office that a person didn't require a licence until they had owned a dog for a month. This was when I was trying to see if they would do a spot check on my neighbour.
    Of course, this same person said that RBs don't need to be muzzled as pups (which seems to be widely disputed), while also telling me that there are no "banned dogs" in Ireland when I asked if they could clarify how a "bandog" is defined. They also said that all mastiff breeds need to be muzzled.

I know this isn't directly linked to the OP's query, but it highlights the point of looking directly at the legislation, as is linked here, as the misinformation that can come from "official" sources could land people in trouble.

mosi wrote: »
    That's interesting, as I was told by a person in the warden's office that a person didn't require a licence until they had owned a dog for a month. This was when I was trying to see if they would do a spot check on my neighbour.
    Of course, this same person said that RBs don't need to be muzzled as pups (which seems to be widely disputed), while also telling me that there are no "banned dogs" in Ireland when I asked if they could clarify how a "bandog" is defined. They also said that all mastiff breeds need to be muzzled.

I know this isn't directly linked to the OP's query, but it highlights the point of looking directly at the legislation, as is linked here, as the misinformation that can come from "official" sources could land people in trouble.

Bizarre.
    The mastiffs being muzzled thing *may* be right, the law here is a little bit fuzzy in favour of a picky warden when it comes to mastiffs, because of the bandog bit.
    But then, there are some pounds whose interpretation of the laws is utterly bizarre, and I very much doubt these interpretations would withstand a court case... and then there are some pounds that are pretty sound and sensible

Advertisement