Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport 2015 Routes News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I can't see it happening under current ownership, I can see them doing LAX again and Miami. It'll be interesting to see how Ethiopian get on on the route, I can see EI starting it at 3x per week on opposite days to ETH and trying to do a Ryanair on them.
    Similar thoughts here. While LAS is a popular destination it is totally leisure oriented in demographic and yield. As above I can see EI going back 3x weekly to LAX (2016?)....this covers business travelers, point to point tourists, cargo options and still offers connections to LAS from LAX.

(I saw posted elsewhere that EI price their J Class on DUB-MCO similarly to JFK/BOS rather that ORD,which is a similar length of flight)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Ok, so if not EI, how about an American carrier? Although none of them use LAS as a hub.

Im not trying to sound like a desperate child, if an airline thought money could be made from it they would be doing it. Just thought it was a guaranteed money maker.

Ok, so if not EI, how about an American carrier? Although none of them use LAS as a hub.

Im not trying to sound like a desperate child, if an airline thought money could be made from it they would be doing it. Just thought it was a guaranteed money maker.

Can't see that happen either, unless an American version of Air Transat was to do it.

Can only see a few single aisle routes happening, I'm surprised we haven't seen a competitor out of Boston. A few times various American Airlines have been spoken about Seattle, Miami and LAX but theyll all require minimum 767s to open them due to distance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ok, so if not EI, how about an American carrier?
    I'm not trying to sound like a desperate child, if an airline thought money could be made from it they would be doing it. Just thought it was a guaranteed money maker.
    I guess the scheduled airlines want to have dependable regular routes, year round if possible. DUB-LAS would not fall into this so would require a charter type operation.
    A DUB-LAS short duration route would make money, but then what does the airline do with its airframe after it ends.
    Look at the VS operation out of BFS this summer. Perhaps its a test of the Irish market, or perhaps it that they have the airframe avail due to the overall restructuring of their route network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Realistically what routes could Dublin support in addition to what is served? With the increased feed from UK/Europe I think the definites would be:
    LAX, MIA and a Texan route but beyond that what else could work? I guess maybe more for the EI/IAG thread but what level of expansion could they sustain.

EI obviously have loads of data re demand from their own business and feeding BA also so they can see where the potential is. Apart from competing at Atlanta/Philadelphia/ Charlotte etc. I'm not sure demand would be there for LAS/Vancouver/Phoenix so am curious where the expansion will be. Like I said EI have the data so it will be interesting to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭rameire

minus a route,

I just got this in an email.

We are sorry to advise that both of your above flights with Flybe have been cancelled. We will no longer be operating this particular service.

In recent months we have been experiencing unacceptable economic returns on the Dublin to London City route due to the significant number of increased services: total supply is no longer aligned with total demand.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That was kind of inevitable. I was amazed that they pressed ahead with it once BA announced they were launching their own service to/from LCY.

rameire wrote: »
    minus a route,

I just got this in an email.

We are sorry to advise that both of your above flights with Flybe have been cancelled. We will no longer be operating this particular service.

In recent months we have been experiencing unacceptable economic returns on the Dublin to London City route due to the significant number of increased services: total supply is no longer aligned with total demand.

Not really surprising to be honest, couldn't imagine their was enough traffic suddenly to support three airlines on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not surprised either, three operators going into LCY was more than any other airport flying from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not surprised either, three operators going into LCY was more than any other airport flying from Dublin.

BCN has 3 from next week; CPH has four. I can see someone blinking on CPH this year, probably EI as they've been in and out before; and if the merger goes ahead EI will probably leave BCN to VY.

JFK also has 3 I think? And ORD this summer. YYZ has four if you believe Westjet about the tag being the same flight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

L1011 wrote: »
    BCN has 3 from next week; CPH has four. I can see someone blinking on CPH this year, probably EI as they've been in and out before; and if the merger goes ahead EI will probably leave BCN to VY.

JFK also has 3 I think? And ORD this summer. YYZ has four if you believe Westjet about the tag being the same flight...

You'd think somone has to blink on CPH alright. Its nice having such great competition on the route as I fly there quite regularly so the choice of times as well as price is most welcome. Have flown on both SAS and EI many times over the last 3 or so years and the load factors have been high but with Ryanair and Norwegian something has to give somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Great news for Cityjet, I suppose. It had to be either of the two.
    Did Norwegian do Helsinki every year or is it a new service?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

man98 wrote: »

It's not new. They were on the route last summer.

man98 wrote: »

They've been there since before EIs current venture.

I go to BLL occasionally and the sector price competition has helped with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

if the merger goes ahead EI will probably leave BCN to VY.

Not a hope of EI exiting BCN, VY may compliment the service but it will be them if any carrier leaves BCN.

Finnair have extended the Helsinki route to year round - 3 a week through winter 2015.
    It seems BE have also cut SEN (also very predictable).

Believe T1 is confirmed for ET.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It still confuses me as to why there is no route to Palma in the winter time from any airport in the Island of Ireland. There's definitely space for a 2x weekly service from DUB!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It still confuses me as to why there is no route to Palma in the winter time from any airport in the Island of Ireland. There's definitely space for a 2x weekly service from DUB!

More Brits than Irish, impossible to make money especially with current economic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

New flight between Derry and Dublin (again)

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-32088996

• Advertisement

Not a fan of paper airlines... Citywing is manx2 basically

L1011 wrote: »
    Not a fan of paper airlines... Citywing is manx2 basically

Explain the term "Paper Airlines" please :) I've never heard it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Explain the term "Paper Airlines" please :) I've never heard it before!

An airline that not a single aircraft is operated by themselves.

EICVD wrote: »
    An airline that not a single aircraft is operated by themselves.

I thought they were banned as a result of the Manx2 accident?

Not yet.

Its even worse than an airline with no planes, this can actually be fine - Austrian Airlines in theory for a long time subcontracted all its services - its not even an airline, its a "ticket seller".

Take a look at the flowchart of responsibility (or lack of, more like) in the Cork crash report and you'll not want to use one!

Carnacalla wrote:

Citywing is just a rebranded Manx2 I think? Also I remember Manx2 stating they wanted to fly Sligo - Dublin after the PSO ended. Citywing was a mgmt buy out, so it's the same brains behind this decision.

There's probably a reason for this, but why don't they participate in the PSO contract offer?

Carnacalla wrote:
    There's probably a reason for this, but why don't they participate in the PSO contract offer?

There wasn't one from 2011 AFAIK.

We don't offer one anymore. What LDY are sourcing from the UK treasury is much the same.

• Advertisement

I understand thay Sligo is not a PSO route anymore, but how come they didn't participate in the Kerry and Donegal contracts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement