Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable punishment in crèche?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

OP I am really dorry to hear about what happened to your son. It is completely unacceptable, no child should ever be treated like that no matter what the circumstances. I would be complaining severely to management and looking for other childcare.
    Mary63 wrote: »
    Most people would not choose creche work if they had any other options.Those going on from school and taking childcare courses are doing so because they have a poor leaving cert,why would anyone choose to change nappies and wipe noses in rotation for a very basic wage,no career progression and long,long working days.

Anyone remember the Primetime expose,that was filmed in one of the most expensive creches in the country,does anyone actually believe what went on isnt going on in other creches around the country,honestly,folks,wake up.

There really are no words. I am from a middle class family, a good area, high achiever, any amount of options to choose for the rest of my life. I took 6 of 7 subjects at higher level for my leaving cert and I did pretty well, achieving over 100 CAO points more than I needed for my chosen course at 3rd level. A BA in Early Childhood Care and Education. I'm currently in final year, on course to graduate with a first class honours.

Is working as an early childhood practitioner easy? No. Are the money and working conditions as good as they should be? No. Is it a dead end job? NO! Like any career there are always opportunities for progression if the person in question bothers to up-skill further and take part in continuing professional development and make sure their work is in line with best practice guidelines. There are people in dead end jobs in every sector of work, if you want to move up the ladder and put the effort in there are opportunities there.

Working with young children is one of the most rewarding jobs you could possibly do. Dealing with individual children and their families from a variety of different contexts, watching them grow and develop over the course of a year or perhaps more that they are in your care and knowing that you played a part in helping them to achieve how far they have come to this point. In my experience it is a great privilege. I have developed a close working relationship with some of the families in my service in the past, just last week I bumped into an old kid from my class who has since moved on to primary school and her mum told me about how much she missed myself and the other teacher and that she was always talking about us. I revisited a setting I used to work in and a child I hadn't seen in over 6 months, since he was under two years old, nearly knocked my over coming in the door with a huge hug.

The very very vast majority of early childhood practitioners I have had the pleasure of working with are competent and caring and have a real, genuine affection for the kids in their care. They don't get paid well but the job pays in other ways. Please don't tar us all with the same brush, it's ignorant and unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

My wife looks after our two children, at considerable expense to us as a family. No expensive holidays, we haven't been for a night out in three years. We have one cheap car. I get the bus to work and eat sandwiches out of a tesco sandwich bad. Reading this reminds me of why we live as we do.

I am a mother and I go out to work to pay our rent and bills. No expensive holidays, I don't know when we were last on a night out. Unlike you we can't afford a car - not even a cheap one. I get public transport to work and eat spaghetti hoops on bread for lunch. We'd be better off (in the short term) if one of us were to give up our jobs.

I'm certainly not working to maintain some luxurious high-maintenance lifestyle, if that's your impression of working mothers.
    Honestly, honestly, I couldn't sit a minute in work thinking our two beautiful babies were being left alone in a dark room crying, not for a minute, not for a second. None of it would be worth it, not one euro would be worth it.

Nor could I. Not for a second. I have absolute trust in the creche my son attends, and if I ever lost that trust, he wouldn't spend another second there.

Fortunately his creche is very large (with parents in and out all of the time, at various times during the day) and it's a purpose-built building with large panes of glass as walls in most of the rooms - therefore every room is in sight of parents and other creche workers in the other rooms, all of the time. They have no choice but to uphold the highest standards all of the time. And I genuinely believe that his minders are so good with the children in their care because they genuinely love their jobs and care about the children - not just because they have no other option.
    No one will care as much about our children as we do, nor would I expect them too. They are, quite frankly, a pain in the ass to look after....frantic, messy, loud, annoying. No one really takes to them. They would be first into the dark room. I see them every morning and every evening and all weekend but it's still not enough though they drive me mental.

Is this meant to illustrate how well your parenting decisions have worked out for you ...? :confused: Because quite frankly I'd be very disappointed in myself if I were ever to describe my child in the way you've just described your children. I'd feel I'd failed as a parent if I'd brought up children like that. If there are medical issues at play, that's a different matter, of course.
    Four years and then they are in school and gone. Four years. That's all.

Four years is a long time to put your career on hold. If you have more than one child, you're talking a lot longer than four years.

Many employers will be reluctant to take an a mother who's already taken a full four years (or more) out of employment to be a stay-at-home mother. If she's still of childbearing age, who's to say she won't quit her job (again) next time she gets pregnant? I mean, with any woman of that age, there's always the chance she'll get pregnant - but if a woman has had babies in the past, then returned after maternity leave, at least you know she's unlikely to take a few years out when she has her next child - you'll only need to arrange cover for a few months.

Even apart from that, your skills and experience will get very rusty after four (or several more) years. Chances are you'll have to rejoin the workforce at a much lower level than where you left it.

If I ever have a daughter, my hopes and aspirations for her would be for her to have a career that she loves. If she ever chooses to be a mother, I would hope that she'd be able to successfully manage both her career and motherhood. It's what my grandmother did; it's what my mother did; it's what I'm doing. It doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other. You can be a great mother while working fulltime - I know I've benefited from the example given to me by my mother and grandmother.

If anything childcare gets trickier after those first four years. What job is your wife going to get that'll allow her to work only school hours - maybe 9:30 to 1:00 for junior/senior infants, and 9:30 to 3:00 after that, and don't forget to factor in drop-offs and collections and after-school activities and all the rest. How are the children going to cope with moving from being with their mother 24/7 to suddenly being one in a large class with one teacher, and then going home to - I assume a childminder? Since you seem to envisage your wife going back to work, with your "it's only four years" remark.

Also if they're as badly-behaved as you describe, how do you think they're going to fit in in school? At least when children spend time with other children, they learn what behaviour is considered appropriate and acceptable, and what isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If she ever chooses to be a mother, I would hope that she'd be able to successfully manage both her career and motherhood. It's what my grandmother did; it's what my mother did; it's what I'm doing.

Sorry, I stopped reading here. Again, you have no experience of anything except paid childcare. You are completely biased and have no objective opinion to contribute to the discussion.

pwurple wrote: »
    Your kids are frantic, messy, loud and annoying, noone takes to them, and they drive you mental? Jeez, and you give out about other people's parenting methods?

My children live as children. They have no timetables, no deadlines. They live as free as the air. They wake up when they are no longer tired, they eat when they are hungry, they nap when they feel sleepy and they go to bed when they are too tired for any more messing.

Yes they drive me mental, that's their job. If you find it easy raising children, you are doing it wrong.

Also if they're as badly-behaved as you describe, how do you think they're going to fit in in school? At least when children spend time with other children, they learn what behaviour is considered appropriate and acceptable, and what isn't.

Honestly, "fitting in" is the last thing I want for my children. I want them to live a full, confident, challenging life as individuals, with a foundation of two loving parents around them at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pwurple wrote: »
    I think the child was going to a different friend each week, like a rotating thing.
    Sounds like this. From a parents perspective, after a few trouble free sleepovers, it'd be a chance to goto a movie, restaurant, etc, without having to pay the babysitter.
    mariaalice wrote: »
    There seem to be a lot resistance to viewing childcare in a professional way, I would view childcare as a profession you have to have qualifications to work in a crèche.
    Mainly because not so long ago looking after kids was "a womans job" as opposed to a profession. Luckily this has changed quite a bit.
    No one will care as much about our children as we do, nor would I expect them too. They are, quite frankly, a pain in the ass to look after....frantic, messy, loud, annoying. No one really takes to them.
    Maybe look into classes that show you how to help them become less frantic messy and annoying? You owe to your kids to be good parents, as part of parenting is to get them ready for the world. And "frantic, messy, loud, annoying" is in no way ready. Otherwise they may not like the shock to the system that school shall be.

the_syco wrote: »
    Maybe look into classes that show you how to help them become less frantic messy and annoying? You owe to your kids to be good parents, as part of parenting is to get them ready for the world. And "frantic, messy, loud, annoying" is in no way ready. Otherwise they may not like the shock to the system that school shall be.

Who says they are going to school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Sorry, I stopped reading here. Again, you have no experience of anything except paid childcare. You are completely biased and have no objective opinion to contribute to the discussion.

Oh so tell me, what's your personal experience of paid childcare?

Explain, please, why you have more to contribute to the discussion than me?

I spent six months as a full time stay at home parent. Did you?

Oh so tell me, what's your personal experience of paid childcare?

Explain, please, why you have more to contribute to the discussion than me?

I spent six months as a full time stay at home parent. Did you?

Six months is bare minimum. Barring this six months, you have no experience of anything other than paying other people to look after your children. That is a fact, not an opinion.

You have seen nothing to enable you to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of a full time parent. It would be akin to me commenting on the preservation of barn owls in Sussex, I know NOTHING about it and would not dare to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Honestly, "fitting in" is the last thing I want for my children. I want them to live a full, confident, challenging life as individuals, with a foundation of two loving parents around them at all times.

Unfortunately there has to be a degree of fitting in. How do you expect them to manage in school. All of the above you describe is possible when both parents work too you know.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Unfortunately there has to be a degree of fitting in. How do you expect them to manage in school. All of the above you describe is possible when both parents work too you know.

Again, who says they are going to school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My children live as children. They have no timetables, no deadlines. They live as free as the air. They wake up when they are no longer tired, they eat when they are hungry, they nap when they feel sleepy and they go to bed when they are too tired for any more messing.

Yes they drive me mental, that's their job. If you find it easy raising children, you are doing it wrong.

Give me a break. You have described your own children as noisy annoying people who piss everyone off around them. Sounds like it's very easy to raise them that way. Put the feet up, turn on Jeremy Kyle and let them be "as free as the air". Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

. If you find it easy raising children, you are doing it wrong.

Well I disagree with this statement.

If you find it easy raising children, there's a good chance you've got some parenting techniques that work; it's likely that life is good and you enjoy being a parent.

OP I hope you have come to a satisfactory resolution with the crèche and that your son is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

So you and your partner are both home, at all times with them?
    Fitting in is a life skill. Maybe you'll homeschool, which is a valid choice and if works I support that choice. But what about if they want to go to school at some stage? Or college? Or get a job? Will they be raised to always suit themselves? What about when they're older and making friends, will they not fit in with sharing and not hitting and other social norms? What about when they are older again, and meet someone they fancy? Will they continue to suit themselves rather than fit in with things the other person values?
    I don't expect my children to fit in with everything and we've already made certain choices that mean they won't. But nor do I want to to raise self centered children who think they can suit themselves at all times and don't bother taking other people into consideration in terms of social norms. My children thrive on routine and having a large amount of freedom within a structured environment. They love their set bedtime routine and that they know what to expect. Letting children dictate mealtimes, bedtimes and everything else is a recipe for disaster. No wonder you seem to find them hard going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

OP here.

I will give an update in a second but first I want to address some points raised in this thread.

1. I do not have the option but to work. We are not in a good way financially. My husband is gone overseas to work and I am here alone during the week, working really hard and also trying to spend as much time as I possibly can with my children. If I could afford to give up work I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't work so i can go on holidays or drive a fancy car or even live in a nice house. I'm embarrassed by where i live but we can't afford the rent on anywhere else. To the man who says they survive on one car, wife stats at home etc....fair play to you and I'm happy for you that you can do that but I don't have the same option or luxury unfortunately.

2. It's really hard to get crèche places in good crèches. Most decent places have 6+ month waiting lists so it's not like I can just move my son into another place at the click of my fingers.

3. Whatever about crèches, at least they are in some way regulated. I know most childminders in their own homes are decent people but do you ever really know what happens behind the closed doors of someone else's home? Yes...the same can be said of a crèche but at least it's inspected and there's more than one person there so they can keep an eye on each other...one would hope. I am not dissing childminders. My eldest goes to a childminder after school. She only takes older kids after school..not young toddlers. I am just wading in on the discussion on the thread as I am talking about it from both angles.

And now the update:
    Ended up not being able to find out who the temporary manager is so rang the owner. Big discussion. It's going to be addressed apparently. I spoke with the girls involved also. I did get an apology from one of them. I'm not 100% happy but I am stuck for the moment. I rang about 5 other crèches within striking distance of where I live and they all have long waiting lists. My husband will be home next weekend so I am going to sit down with him face to face and discuss it and see what we can do re child care. Removing him this instant or anything like that is out of the question. I have no holidays left as I have taken them all in order to spend time with the kids. My lifestyle of work, crèches etc. is not a choice...it's a necessity.

I'm v unhappy at the moment about the whole thing..it's v upsetting etc. but I'm doing my best. I feel so judged by some people who have posted like by virtue of the fact that I've put my child into crèche I should have almost seen it coming..that he wouldn't be cared for properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

OP here.

I will give an update in a second but first I want to address some points raised in this thread.

1. I do not have the option but to work. We are not in a good way financially. My husband is gone overseas to work and I am here alone during the week, working really hard and also trying to spend as much time as I possibly can with my children. If I could afford to give up work I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't work so i can go on holidays or drive a fancy car or even live in a nice house. I'm embarrassed by where i live but we can't afford the rent on anywhere else. To the man who says they survive on one car, wife stats at home etc....fair play to you and I'm happy for you that you can do that but I don't have the same option or luxury unfortunately.

2. It's really hard to get crèche places in good crèches. Most decent places have 6+ month waiting lists so it's not like I can just move my son into another place at the click of my fingers.

3. Whatever about crèches, at least they are in some way regulated. I know most childminders in their own homes are decent people but do you ever really know what happens behind the closed doors of someone else's home? Yes...the same can be said of a crèche but at least it's inspected and there's more than one person there so they can keep an eye on each other...one would hope. I am not dissing childminders. My eldest goes to a childminder after school. I am just wading in on the discussion on the thread as I am talking about it from both angles.

And now the update:
    Ended up not being able to find out who the temporary manager is so rang the owner. Big discussion. It's going to be addressed apparently. I spoke with the girls involved also. I did get an apology from one of them. I'm not 100% happy but I am stuck for the moment. I rang about 5 other crèches within striking distance of where I live and they all have long waiting lists. My husband will be home next weekend so I am going to sit down with him face to face and discuss it and see what we can do re child care. Removing him or anything like that is out of the question. I have no holidays left as I have taken them all in order to spend time with the kids. My lifestyle of work, crèches etc. is not a choice...it's a necessity.

I'm v unhappy at the moment about the whole thing..it's v upsetting etc. but I'm doing my best. I feel so judged by some people who have posted like by virtue of the fact that I've put my child into crèche I should have almost seen it coming..that he wouldn't be cared for properly?

OP don't mind those people here who you think have judged you. Please don't. It's very easy for them to sit behind their computer screen and type endless judgemental crap about others in unfortunate situations. I'll bet my bottom dollar their lives aren't so perfect.

It's obvious from your update you are in a very stressful situation and although I can't really provide any advice... I just wanted to say I hope everything works out for you and your wee boy. It's an awful thing to have happened. Terrible tbh. But it is also obvious you are doing the best you can with the very limited resources you have. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you. Best of luck with it all OP. I really feel for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Do ya know Galwaygirlee, you might actually be on to a winner sticking with where you are. The owners are aware of the corners being cut. ..the staff know you're keeping a strong eye. I think they may implement a proper system where this doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

OP here.

3. Whatever about crèches, at least they are in some way regulated. I know most childminders in their own homes are decent people but do you ever really know what happens behind the closed doors of someone else's home? Yes...the same can be said of a crèche but at least it's inspected and there's more than one person there so they can keep an eye on each other...one would hope. I am not dissing childminders. My eldest goes to a childminder after school. She only takes older kids after school..not young toddlers. I am just wading in on the discussion on the thread as I am talking about it from both angles.

And now the update:
    Ended up not being able to find out who the temporary manager is so rang the owner. Big discussion. It's going to be addressed apparently. I spoke with the girls involved also. I did get an apology from one of them. I'm not 100% happy but I am stuck for the moment. I rang about 5 other crèches within striking distance of where I live and they all have long waiting lists. My husband will be home next weekend so I am going to sit down with him face to face and discuss it and see what we can do re child care. Removing him this instant or anything like that is out of the question. I have no holidays left as I have taken them all in order to spend time with the kids. My lifestyle of work, crèches etc. is not a choice...it's a necessity.

I'm glad that you've managed to get onto SOMEONE and get the issue addressed.

I'm not a fan of time out being used as discipline, but a child should never be left unsupervised in a room. I'm not certain, but that sounds like a breach of basic regulations to me. Although I'm not suggesting you should/have to, be aware that you can probably report the creche to the HSE if you're unsatisfied with their response.

Ask to see a copy of their discipline/behaviour management policy. They should have one, and it should state what's considered acceptable by their standards. I'd be very surprised if it states that it's ok to leave children alone in dark rooms. If time outs are written into the policy, I'd assume the child still needs to be within sight of a staff member.

Is your child generally happy with the creche? Have you had any previous concerns?

Don't let this go if you're unhappy with the presented solution. If the manager is absent then it sounds like the staff could do with more supervision, to say the least. Even if they're having a tough time of it, isolating a child in a way that is emotionally damaging and potentially very unsafe is still unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

OP here.

And now the update:

Hi Waylon Fierce Animal,
    Dont get upset over the various comments on here. We all have had to contend with comments that we perceive to be unfair. However, it is a good anonomous sounding board but you shouldnt take the negative stuff too seriously. At the end of the day let yourself, your husband and family be your major influence.

I am concerned at the highlighted above. Why have you been unable to find out who the temporary manager is? Has the owner explained this. You are a very concerned parent and it is disconcerting that the manager is unwilling to meet you.

That said, as was written above, they know that you are watching them and probably will be watching things more closely in the future. Gives more time for you so, in my opinion, dont pull him out until you have fully decided and sorted out your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

OP, complaining directly to the owner will have bought you time. I'd say the owner is terrified they'll be reported (arguably should be for what they've done) and everything will be done to the letter of the law for the next while.

That said...

I don't know that I could be happy leaving the child there. Go visit the other creches, find out what their discipline policy is, see if you like them. If you find some you like, put you son on the waiting list and as soon as a place in a creche you like comes up, move him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Farbenspiel

This seems to be a huge lacking in supervision. I would only put a child facing a wall in a supervised room rather than leave them alone. It's not so much that it's too harsh it's simply not safe. Harshness of any punishment should be dictated by the parent. Were you consulted about what punishments were going to be issued out?

My children are not yet kindergarten age but I would always assume it would be my regime of discipline and not anyone else's that would be followed. I won't be using a creche though.

But so many things could happen in such a short space of time if a child is left alone. What was done to your 2 yr old is lacking in basic common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Four years and then they are in school and gone. Four years. That's all.
    Who says they are going to school?
    Again, who says they are going to school?

you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP i'm glad you got on to the owner and don't feel guilty about working + creche at all. You're clearly doing your best
    I hope it works out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

galwaygirlee,do you mind my asking why you had your second child,surely if you dont like where you live and cant afford to live anywhere else it seems pointless to bring another child into the world who has to spend all day away from you while you work to make ends meet,it just doesnt make sense to me.
    Now you have to bring him back to a creche who would do something so cruel to a baby,thats all he is,he doesnt even understand about hitting and its rediculous to expect him to learn anything sitting in a darkened room,he wouldnt even understand why he was put in the room.He probably hit because he was exhausted and surrounded by other exhausted bad tempered children,you are responsible for his well being and excuses about having to work dont wash,he is entitled to a happy safe babyhood.

Please dont anyone else post about childcare qualifications,blah,blah,anyone with a bit of common sense would not put a two year old in a darkened room,whatever he did to deserve this,the person who did that to him needs a far bigger punishment.I cant believe either no one knows who the temporary manager is,there isnt one obviously because that will save a few bob.

galwaygirlee,do you mind my asking why you had your second child,surely if you dont like where you live and cant afford to live anywhere else it seems pointless to bring another child into the world who has to spend all day away from you while you work to make ends meet,it just doesnt make sense to me.
    Now you have to bring him back to a creche who would do something so cruel to a baby,thats all he is,he doesnt even understand about hitting and its rediculous to expect him to learn anything sitting in a darkened room,he wouldnt even understand why he was put in the room.He probably hit because he was exhausted and surrounded by other exhausted bad tempered children,you are responsible for his well being and excuses about having to work dont wash,he is entitled to a happy safe babyhood.

Please dont anyone else post about childcare qualifications,blah,blah,anyone with a bit of common sense would not put a two year old in a darkened room,whatever he did to deserve this,the person who did that to him needs a far bigger punishment.I cant believe either no one knows who the temporary manager is,there isnt one obviously because that will save a few bob.

Wow lay on the guilt trip why don't you? She is doing the best she can, give her a break ffs.

The best isnt good enough eviltwin,the person who did that to her son should not be allowed to continue working with that age group and it is up to the OP to ensure that she gets answers and this may mean reporting the incident to the HSE or whoever has overall responsibility for the standards creches are to adhere to.

The cleaning of that creche was going on while a two year old was crying in the dark,they sure had their priorities right.As someone else said high creche fees are being paid and sufficient staff are supposed to be rostered to mind the children,what part of early childhood training includes instructions on how to mop floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I think the reason she had a second child is nobody's business but her own. She also should not have to justify why she put het child in childcare.
    The creche was wrong. They should be accountable. Full stop.

The best isnt good enough eviltwin,the person who did that to her son should not be allowed to continue working with that age group and it is up to the OP to ensure that she gets answers and this may mean reporting the incident to the HSE or whoever has overall responsibility for the standards creches are to adhere to.

The cleaning of that creche was going on while a two year old was crying in the dark,they sure had their priorities right.As someone else said high creche fees are being paid and sufficient staff are supposed to be rostered to mind the children,what part of early childhood training includes instructions on how to mop floors.

What do you expect her to do exactly? She's explained why she needs childcare and why she can't just remove her son. Or she could and then what state would her family be in? Read her posts, she feels upset enough as it is, the jumps off the page. Give the girl a bit of support, I'm sure she will follow it up with the relevant people.

She wouldnt need childcare if she only had as many children as she can afford,she cant afford to pay for quality childcare and good quality staff,no adult with a titter of wit would do this to a small child so obviously this creche. is employing badly trained uncaring staff.

I love my own children but cant stand other peoples and even i would not upset a small child after a long,long day in a creche like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

She wouldnt need childcare if she only had as many children as she can afford,she cant afford to pay for quality childcare and good quality staff,no adult with a titter of wit would do this to a small child so obviously this creche. is employing badly trained uncaring staff.

I love my own children but cant stand other peoples and even i would not upset a small child after a long,long day in a creche like this.

Really useful input Mary. Maybe the OP could get in her time machine and go back and not have her second child :confused: I'm sure she's found your input very helpful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement