Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Parking / Traffic Barrier Changes

Options
  • 04-11-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Just to let anyone who drives to UCD daily to know Car Parking / Car Barriers are changing on the 8th of November,

It will be no longer be possible to get to Belgrove when the traffic barriers are closed in the morning and evening via the Clonskeagh entrance. In order to do so you will have to enter via the fosters avenue entrance.

Additionally the car park just opposite Arts / Belgrove will closed to facilitate the building of new Belgrove apartments, extra spaces will be provided at the former Athletics Track.

ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/announcements/newbelgroveresidenceschangestotrafficbarrierlocations/

Here the Link,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Saw that on Friday - bedlam will ensue for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

That's a total mess. As you are going to have a lot more traffic coming in the Fosters Avenue entrance, which already is fairly jammers for getting into in the morning if you have to cross the road. Not a lot of joined up thinking going on there. But I am glad they have given the park and ride folks another car park to choose from out the front...

Just thinking about it again - does that means that any delivery vans, etc. who make deliveries to the area between the Newman and Library Buildings now have to come in the Fosters Avenue entrance when the barriers are up?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

convert wrote: »
    Just thinking about it again - does that means that any delivery vans, etc. who make deliveries to the area between the Newman and Library Buildings now have to come in the Fosters Avenue entrance when the barriers are up?

Yep, they have put two new barriers up where the road curves beside the Ag science car park

Andru93 wrote: »
    Yep, they have put two new barriers up where the road curves beside the Ag science car park

Wonderful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 OffTheSideBar

Barriers popping up everywhere seemingly... Driving from the gym towards the main entrance, surely there's more barriers than needed, no?

Kept thinking to myself that I'll come out some evening and the car will be trapped between two barriers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Did UCD publish the logic of putting up more barriers anywhere online? Seems like more UCD tomfoolery to me. I parked so faraway this morning. It reminded me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer spends ages in traffic and then when he finds parking he is at the fence over the back of his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

Riamfada wrote: »
    Did UCD publish the logic of putting up more barriers anywhere online? Seems like more UCD tomfoolery to me. I parked so faraway this morning. It reminded me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer spends ages in traffic and then when he finds parking he is at the fence over the back of his house.

There is a web address in my first comment, can't put an actually link as I've havn't posted enough yet!

Here it is again:

ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/announcements/newbelgroveresidenceschangestotrafficbarrierlocations/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It seems UCD has gone to a lot of effort to ensure that the decrease in parking available through Owenstown was split between Owenstown and Clonskeah (by effectively moving the Observatory car park), and compensated with the running track. So few people actually has to change anything. I think the reason for the two barriers at the curved piece of road, is simply because only having one of those two barriers there would make U-turning a right pain for one party.

Good news for Engineers, and people who work in Nova, bad news for pretty much everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

errlloyd wrote: »
    It seems UCD has gone to a lot of effort to ensure that the decrease in parking available through Owenstown was split between Owenstown and Clonskeah (by effectively moving the Observatory car park), and compensated with the running track. So few people actually has to change anything. I think the reason for the two barriers at the curved piece of road, is simply because only having one of those two barriers there would make U-turning a right pain for one party.

Good news for Engineers, and people who work in Nova, bad news for pretty much everyone else.

Clonskeagh lost spaces (by moving the barrier) and I'm pretty sure Owenstown stayed the same with the new car parks behind Belgrove?

• Advertisement

Drove in for the first time since the 'new' barriers were locked. The car park behind Ag was full by 8am. Thankfully I'm always in by then, but it's absolutely ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

convert wrote: »
    Drove in for the first time since the 'new' barriers were locked. The car park behind Ag was full by 8am. Thankfully I'm always in by then, but it's absolutely ridiculous!

What average student is in before 8am? Let alone staff? I'm an early bird myself but the only people I ever say before 8am were long distance commuters, some staff and the park n' ride brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

ironclaw wrote: »
    What average student is in before 8am? Let alone staff? I'm an early bird myself but the only people I ever say before 8am were long distance commuters, some staff and the park n' ride brigade.

Some courses have 8am lectures. Ag students have them occasionally in later years and vet students are in at 8 most mornings for 3rd year onwards.

Also the library is open from 7am, lots of people come in to study long before their first lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I guess it's also the central car park nearest the Gym?

Advertisement