Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal loan for small mortgage

Options
  • 04-11-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if banks consider personal loans for small mortgages for eg 40-60k.

What is the criteria for assessing how much you can borrow. I know its based on your ability to repay but if you are showing that you pay a certain rent each month and the repayments on a small loan over 5 years are the same as your monthly rent, is it likely you could get a personal loan approval on that basis.

Would collateral help in this case. eg a small plot of land which the person owns.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Would collateral help in this case. eg a small plot of land which the person owns.

That sounds like a mortgage. A personal loan is unsecured so you would pay a higher interest rate.

But yes, if you earn enough they would in principle give you a personal loan for any amount

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that you could be paying 10% on a personal loan.

I understand the banks tend not to give mortgages on amounts under €50,000.

So look at the numbers carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I guess wondering why you want a loan over a mortgage? Rates could be 3 times for a loan than a mortgage. Get a variable rate mortgage and can pay off as quickly as you want with no penalties.

Advertisement