Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System criteria for windows phone development

Options
  • 04-11-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A young neighbour of mine is very interested in writing apps for his newly acquired windows phone 8.1. He has a Lenovo all in one desktop upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 through the store. I believe this is the "core" or "home" version. He was telling me that his computer can't run the "emulator" required to develop apps.

I have two Lenovo laptops here running legit versions of windows 8.1 pro (originally windows 7 pro but I took advantage of the €15 upgrade offer when it was available). I have a t410i and a x201. I enabled hyper-V on the x201 and am able to run the emulator.

What can my neighbour do to get to this stage? Can he do something to get his machine to run the emulator or does he need to buy a new computer? I haven't seen any in any of the stores that come with windows 8.1 pro (which i think is one of the prerequisites of hyper V. Will a surface pro 3 core i5 be able to do what he wants? He has been told he could have one of those for Christmas if it will help him on his way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Could he by pass the emulator and build right to the device (lot better than an emulator for various reasons), if he has a computer capable of running 8.1 he should be able to at the very least build to a device.

Sorry I don't know much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Could he by pass the emulator and build right to the device (lot better than an emulator for various reasons), if he has a computer capable of running 8.1 he should be able to at the very least build to a device.

Sorry I don't know much more.

It's a place to start. Thanks. Google (or bing!) may help out further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BillUnder

Or he could upgrade to the Pro edition. Though targeting the device should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

If software is an issue then he (or a parent) should contact Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure they will give him access to something like Dreamspark to get everything he needs free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭dmc17

As mentioned, if he is a student he may be able to use Dreamspark to acquire any software he needs. It also lets you publish your apps in the Windows Store free of charge

• Advertisement
Advertisement