Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog-sledding advice?

Options
  • 04-11-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi all,

So I'm looking to book dog-sledding for myself and my boyfriend around February travelling from Dublin. Been looking at Norway, flights and accomodation is not so bad but the dog-sledding alone is costing about €300 pp.

Has anyone ever been? Does anybody know of any package deals?
    I'm open to all advice and gestures. :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I did it last year in Finland. It was awesome. It wasn't cheap, but not that dear. (possibly a shorter trip) are you going to tie it in with some skiing and northern lights hunting? Finland in march would be a nice option. Cheaper than Norway (but less mountainous). You could stay in a cottage, go ice fishing, xc skiing, the works

I went to this place www.kolihusky.com but if you want to be guaranteed aurora, Lapland would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Finland could be an option! That place you stayed looks great :-)

Haven't decided a destination yet but so open to wherever but definitley dog-sledding & Northern lights would have to be in the works!

I know I'm not going to get it for nothing, and will be pricey just trying to hunt around for a good deal, was it far from the airport where you stayed?

Thanks for the reply btw :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes joensuu and kuopio airports are nearby and well serviced by flights.

In Lapland saariselkä would be a good option and the days are decently long in march. Would still be good snow cover in April and even may.
    http://www.saariselka.fi/sisalto

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I went a few years ago in Northern Sweden. I'm on my phone at the moment but will look up the link and write a bit more tomorrow. It's great fum but hard work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, I've found a thread from a couple of years ago where I talked about my trip together with someone else who was planning a trip with the same company, Silent Way, in Umnäs in Northern Sweden (see http://www.dogsledding-adventures.com/index.htm).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81808205

Now, my 7 day trip (5 days sledding) cost a lot more than €300, more like €2000 plus flights IIRC, so might be a bit more extreme and hands on than what you're planning, but it might give you some ideas.

There are some links to Youtube videos in that thread, as well as a link to my photos on pix.ie which are still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement