Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat after having tooth extraction

• 04-11-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

So we took in a stray cat that had been in my back garden and after taking her to the vets she recommended having some dental work done. Today she had a good few teeth extracted and the rest cleaned and is now on a week long course of antibiotics. Since bringing her home she is quite groggy but also really restless. She wont stay in one place in the house and is now hiding under the armchair. she isn't eating which is understandable but Im just wondering how long this behaviour will last for. I realise shes in some pain but just wondering how long the after effects of teeth extraction will last for and also if there's anything i can do to make her comfortable. thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm guessing that it's not so much the dental work that's causing her current behaviour, but the general anaesthetic. It does odd things to recovering animals, and might make her a bit out of sorts for a couple of days.
    It's unlikely she's in pain as I'm assuming the vet gave her pre-op pain relief which should last until tomorrow :)
    Let her stay under the chair if that's what she wants, give her something soft to lie on, and leave her be. Hopefully she'll drift back to sleep again... once they manage to get back to sleep, they often stay asleep for the night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

Possibly stating the obvious, but make sure that you're giving her soft food. Also, speak to your vet about Metacam which is a liquid painkiller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Anaesthetic can make them behave a bit odd, and they will hide if in pain, I wouldn't worry once she's warm and comfy. They can't regulate their body heat well after anaesthetic either so keep an eye on her temp.

Add a little warm water to the wet food when she's hungry, makes it mushy and increases fluids, which are hard enough to get into a cat not in pain.

Also try a bit of scrambled egg, with butter, warm, to get her interested in food.

Advertisement