Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

reinstalling A1 licence

• 04-11-2014 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Sorry guys, Am confused. I had an A1 since 1997 on my licence, then either in 2003 or 2007 or 2013 I got a replacement with no A1? I now would like to ride a 125 on an A1 without IBT. What's the story. I'd ring the new crowd but of course they have no phone, and i'd doubt they'd anwser an email.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

lalababa wrote: »
    Sorry guys, Am confused. I had an A1 since 1997 on my licence, then either in 2003 or 2007 or 2013 I got a replacement with no A1? I now would like to ride a 125 on an A1 without IBT. What's the story. I'd ring the new crowd but of course they have no phone, and i'd doubt they'd anwser an email.:confused:

Do you have the old paper document?
    My old ones always got "lost" for record purposes just before I had to get a new licence due to date expiry.

They should have the record on the system?
    I know when I went to get my learner permit, previously to all the IBT stuff, I didnt have to do certain aspects of applying for the licence as I had a "provisional" A1 I believe in the nineties which I never even used.
    I think Id gotten it renewed on another "provisional" as it was called provisional at the time. I ended up just having to do the online CBT test to apply for the learner permit. I still have that permit even though its expired, I did lessons anyway.
    Not sure where you stand but if the record can be found then Id have thought you wouldnt have to do the IBT? that may not be the case still, ie it might be a requirement to take the IBT after a certain amount of time has expired, you give the years as possibly 03 or 07 or 13?

Just realised, when you say you had A1 on your licence, did you mean on a learner permit or full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

It was a full b licence with A1 on it . I'll give them an e-mail and see if they respond, failing that, i'll go into office .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Give them a call on 0761-087-880. Email works, but can take a week or so for a response.

Phoning is the best way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Thanks for number:) So I rang and found out that my A1 apparently expired in 1998, and I have to do the whole rigmarole if I want to get on the road:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

lalababa wrote: »
    Thanks for number:) So I rang and found out that my A1 apparently expired in 1998, and I have to do the whole rigmarole if I want to get on the road:rolleyes:

expired on a full licence? what of their explanation as to why it was never renewed automatically? how did it expire?
    I dont think Id accept that at face value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

cerastes wrote: »
    expired on a full licence? what of their explanation as to why it was never renewed automatically? how did it expire?
    I dont think Id accept that at face value.

If a license expires (or category), and is not renewed within 10 years then you need to start again. If the category had remained on the license when renewed then, it would have been fine, even if unused.

Back in 1998, it would have been the Motor Tax Office, so the NDLS may not specifically know why that category expired. :(

http://www.ndls.ie/en/Driving-Licence/renewing-or-replacing-an-existing-irish-learner-permit-or-licence.html

Advertisement