Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or DCU?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm a leaving cert student interested in studying Actuary next year. However, I'm not sure whether to choose DCU or UCD, I've heard the DCU course is more practical but I'm still not sure if I'd rather go to DCU over UCD, which I would've generally assumed to be a better college with a better name etc. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

What are the employment rates coming out of both courses, should tell you how employers view the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Depends only on two factors in my opinion:

1) Do you intend to travel abroad? If so, UCD. The business side of UCD has a far greater international reputation. In addition, if you want to conduct further study you can easily stay within the UCD ecosystem and UCD has a lot of post-graduate opportunities.

2) Where you live and which college suits you better. I know people that loved / hated UCD in equal measure. Remember, its going to be your home for nigh on 4 years and maybe more. Be happy there. It doesn't matter really what your employment prospects are (Because all told, you will get a job if you are trying hard enough and are capable) if you are absolutely miserable every single day you set foot in the door.

The two biggest mistakes in choosing a college is either going to where your parents tell you to go or choosing a college based on the name / your mates choice. Its your life, live it as you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omicron

Ben134 wrote: »
    I'm a leaving cert student interested in studying Actuary next year. However, I'm not sure whether to choose DCU or UCD, I've heard the DCU course is more practical but I'm still not sure if I'd rather go to DCU over UCD, which I would've generally assumed to be a better college with a better name etc. Any suggestions?

An actuary degree doesn't qualify you as an actuary, it only gives you exemptions from some actuary exams. Check if both degrees give you the same exemptions.

Also if money is an issue, accommodation close to UCD is a lot more expensive than close to DCU.

Or if you're commuting, an extra hour or two a day to one college or the other is a lot over 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

If you plan to stay in Ireland it isn't a major issue. If are considering finance as a potential career after then I'd choose UCD due to its higher levels of recognition in London and several of the bulge bracket banks recruiting on campus in comparison to DCU. I'm not sure about the DCU course but I several people I know who studied BAFS spoke of the very good employment prospects associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm a BAFS graduate.

One massive advantage of UCD is that it offers an exemption from CA1 which is one of the hardest professional exams to pass.

DCU can exempt you from CT1-8 and UCD CT1-8 plus CA1.

I loved UCD, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Employment prospects are normally good for actuaries regardless of what university you go to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Poster2014

I've always found DCU to be a great place to study, while I'm not sure about their actuary course specifically they offer numerous supports around employment such as employer talks, fairs and weekly newsletters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OffTheSideBar

I left DCU 5 years ago because i didn't enjoy the course I went into. Moved to UCD and loved it there in every sense.

Not sure about DCU employment rates but it just seems walking around the Quinn school in that companies are in there with a trail of cookies almost leading to jobs after they graduate. Google, deloitte, pwc, kpmg, jp etc and more.... Tonnes of connections to be had there

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ben134

Both colleges have a 100% employment rate for actuary graduates, money for accommodation / commuting isn't really an issue, thanks everyone, think I'll probably go for UCD no.1 and DCU a backup / science in UCD (mathematical sciences degree) and do an MSc in Actuary (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Karl96

I'm a first year BAFS student and I have to say it's a really enjoyable course, there is an extra exemption as previously mentioned and a 100% employment rate! The atmosphere in the class is really good and because it's a small class you get to know people pretty quick.
    I find I'm always busy at some assignment or other this year but as long as you keep on top of everything it's fine. I don't regret my decision to choose it... yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

Let me put it to you this way, as I found this out a bit later than I might have liked.

If you go to UCD and do any course related to business through the Quinn School there's pretty much a career path to a decent job set out for you because UCD is a target school.

Big firms like PWC et al. come to UCD and interview penultimate year students for internships and if your grades are good you'll get the interview. After the internship if you do well they'll give you a preliminary offer predicated on you graduating with a good degree (2:1 or higher).

I'm not sure how it works in DCU tbh, but it seems to be that if you bust your balls all throughout college in UCD you'll be offered internships and hence jobs, if your school isn't a target school you're out in the wilderness fending for yourself essentially.

People at big firms tend to like to hire from UCD and Trinity because that's where most of them went to college themselves. Even though in practical terms DCU might be better, there's still a natural bias towards UCD and Trinners.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

the ucd looks better

dcu is only entry level

you need 535 points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

walshyn93 wrote: »
    Let me put it to you this way, as I found this out a bit later than I might have liked.

If you go to UCD and do any course related to business through the Quinn School there's pretty much a career path to a decent job set out for you because UCD is a target school.

Big firms like PWC et al. come to UCD and interview penultimate year students for internships and if your grades are good you'll get the interview. After the internship if you do well they'll give you a preliminary offer predicated on you graduating with a good degree (2:1 or higher).

I'm not sure how it works in DCU tbh, but it seems to be that if you bust your balls all throughout college in UCD you'll be offered internships and hence jobs, if your school isn't a target school you're out in the wilderness fending for yourself essentially.

People at big firms tend to like to hire from UCD and Trinity because that's where most of them went to college themselves. Even though in practical terms DCU might be better, there's still a natural bias towards UCD and Trinners.

Companies like PWC etc hire plenty of people from DCU. Their accounting and finance course is very respected.

UCD had a better reputation internationally, but at a national level the big companies don't really discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

At the end of the day, all that matters really is how many exemptions you get coming out of college.

There has been talk about the CA1 being discontinued in UCD, so if you are going there for that reason alone, i would make sure to get it in writing that it will be given to you.

If you qualify as an actuary not many people are going to care if you came from UCD, DCU or Queens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

...or UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ronflynn

i'm applying to both UCD and DCU this year and know very little about either because I live up north. This thread has been really helpful though!

This might seem like a very silly question but I'm applying to UCD through advanced entry (year 2) for an Arts joint honours.

i currently study English Lit in Belfast but i want to transfer to UCD next year. I've already paid for and sent off my CAO but I got an email saying i entered the wrong course code for UCD. I don't understand what I'm supposed to enter if I'm applying for a joint honours degree. I originally entered the general joint honours code, but I need to enter a specific code for English and the other subject I want to choose (still undecided!)

Any help with this would be amazing!

Thanks

Advertisement