Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Sue Me - Book Two

• 05-11-2014 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

With her 2nd book hitting the shelves this weekend, it seems So Sue Me's popularity continues to grow. Do you think a 2nd book was warranted, and where do you think she'll go from here?

*am aware that there are other threads about this blogger, but curious to know what people think about the new book.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Author is full of her own importance. She'll milk this flash in the pan fame for all it's worth because it won't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sarahoh91

Do you think a 2nd book was necessary LexieOnRale? From reading her first book, it seemed like she pretty much covered everything ... I'm curious to see what the content of the next book is.

I didn't read the first book, it wouldn't be my scene, a book to fan someone's self importance. However I can't see what needs to be said not even a full year later. Can't see the need to bring another book out so soon other than for the money, same as going around to events selling tickets to young ones to talk about how great she is.

Glad you brought up the events - had anyone been to one, and was it worth the €99 price tag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - let's not have this thread go the same direction as the previous thread, where a lot of (frankly) nasty comments were said about a person most of us didn't know.

dudara

My two cents - she isn't my cup of tea, but demand must be there for her stuff. Why else publish another book in time for the Christmas market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Can't stand her. She manages to make every outfit look cheap and the face full of make up every single day wouldn't appeal to me at all. Don't know how she is so successful, she doesn't come across as a nice person at all, very defensive and has a bad attitude too. Don't see what she could possibly have to write about this time that would warrant another book. Those are just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Haven't read either of her books but I think a lot of her second book is about the time she spent in New York during fashion week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I haven't read her book but I can't imagine what she'll have to write about so soon after releasing her first book. Like I'm sure that whatever she was doing during NYFW could be covered in a couple of blog posts.

But as someone said, there's clearly demand for it. I'd imagine she appeals to a lot of teenage girls, who'd love to find the book in their stocking. I can't see myself buying it, but she's not really my cup of tea.

She does appeal to teenage girls so I don't understand the "look at my Chanel bag and louboutin booties". Target audience, used to love her pennies hauls and the likes, before it became insincere product reviews and "oh my god look how amazing I am". She has a horrible attitude

Just had a look on her instagram there and she has a post up saying "buy my book", it retails at €19.99 which is craaazy dear esp when her target audience are school kids. From what I could see most of the comments were "absolutely sue" "can't wait" "when can I buy it" etc etc and the majority were school going age which is crazy. In another recent picture she's wearing an Alexander Wang top and a Hermes belt, it's sad really that these young girls are fundng her lavish and shallow lifestyle.

It wouldn't even be as bad if she was still doing her previous bargain posts featuring the likes of Penneys and drug store make up, but she's not. She just screams "buy my book so I can buy more Mulberry and Louboutin's thanks". It's sad and the whole thing makes my skin crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

She won't win Nobel's prize for literature but she will get plenty of free publicity here. I wouldn't even know who she is if not for the venomous thread last year. It seems to be an annual event now. Trying to cash in on people buying dumb things for Christmas is hardly her invention. I bet there will be at least six different one direction biographies and probably another Katie Price masterpiece for sale too.

I don't like her st and I think she uses to much make up. But whenever I go out I see plenty of girls that subscribe to it. So why not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tbh she is doing what anybody else in her position would do, making money where it can be made. If people were willing to buy a book i wrote then of course I'd write it.

I get what people mean about preferring her to review more cost friendly shops but its her decision what she reviews (even if its not a genuine review), if she has the money to buy the stuff or is getting them for free and people still want to hear about it and remain fans then I don't really blame her for just doing what she wants to do because its still earning her money and shes obviously enjoying it.

She's not my style at all, went on her site once after it being discussed on here and I couldn't even navigate it properly, but I wouldn't berate her for making a career for herself doing something she enjoys.

I just liked her page on Facebook as I used to really enjoy the genuine posts, her going into pennies before her holidays and buying a rake of stuff. Just had a quick look there and it's more showbiz now than beauty and fashion.
    A John Lewis ad.
    Her book ad.
    Romeo beckhams ad.
    Her promoting some designer for h+m.
    Angelinas wedding.

If her blog posts are anything to go by I can't imagine her book being up to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I used to follow her on Facebook and Instagram but decided not to one day when she posted a pic of a water bottle with her new BMW steering wheel subtly in the background. Blatant showy-offy type stuff that I couldn't be bothered reading .I already know I'm poor, can do without someone like her banging on about how great and rich she is.

Her blog is now a rehash of Daily Mail articles with a few product placement blogs to buffer them. I'm all for people making a success of themselves but find it hard to believe anything she writes as she's probably getting paid to say it. Kinda defeats the purpose of the whole review and blog thing. I can totally see why teenage girls idolise her...she's selling an image, a type of life that they feel is glamorous. All shiny hair extensions, heels and designer handbags!

Have to agree with you Greenduck - I can never take her reviews seriously when she gives every product 5 stars. It is blatantly obvious that she's giving good reviews purely for money and more freebies..Poor business practice when her readers obviously take everything she says as bible. I find Lauren from Buynowbloglater to be a far superior reviewer of products - her honesty is really refreshing, and she doesn't feel the need to give a product a good review purely because she got it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

There shouldn't have been a book 1 in my opinion. Vacuous, materialistic and boring is how I would describe her 'work'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

You'd want to see the prices she is charging to review salons!! Our salon was going to get her in but Jesus

Agree with poster above much prefer Pippa O Connor and her style would be more up my street. She seems very nice and genuine. She seems to be more popular with the 20's and 30's + age group though whereas Sue's audience is mostly teens (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You'd want to see the prices she is charging to review salons!! Our salon was going to get her in but Jesus

Not familiar with the whole blogging thing from a business point of view - but a reviewer charges for a review?? I thought they bought the product or service themselves or were gifted the product or service by the supplier to trial. I didn't realise the supplier has to pay the reviewer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Not familiar with the whole blogging thing from a business point of view - but a reviewer charges for a review?? I thought they bought the product or service themselves or were gifted the product or service by the supplier to trial. I didn't realise the supplier has to pay the reviewer??

Some of the more well-known bloggers/vloggers are now being paid to review things. It's how they make a career out of it (I think).

As a blogger (small fry!) and a blog-reader, it really takes away from the spirit of blogging when you know that the post you're reading was sponsored by a business. And I say that across the board, not just for So Sue Me.

It kind of stops being a review and more of an advertisement. She's not cheap either. No wonder she's driving a BMW.

I studied marketing but never really worked in the industry. Still as far I know vast majority of beauty reviews are heavily sponsored. At least the ones that matter. I think some people make a mistake thinking that just because something is on Internet done by a solo blogger it is more independent than stuff in magazines. It is very likely none is.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

She has an instagram post of her wearing a 'real rolex' saying thats her dream. Lol.

She has an instagram post of her wearing a 'real rolex' saying thats her dream. Lol.

If that's her dream then it just proves what a vacuous shallow woman she is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have absolutely no interest in the kind of things she blogs about. But I don't hold any hard feeling against her either, like some people seem do. There obviously is a market (teenage girls) for what she does and she is running a great business out of it. She knows what she's doing and she is good at it!

I don't think many people who are actually into fashion really take her seriously, or even pay any attention to her. I just see her in the same way I see Paris Hilton etc...a bit tacky, but making a living out of it :o

Yeah she is

• Advertisement

Watches have really returned in popularity. The Michael Kors fashion watch trend has driven a lot of watch purchases.

Myself, I have 4 watches that I rotate a lot. Two are quartz and two are automatic. I hadn't worn a watch for years, but bought one over a year ago and am fully converted. Find it hard to like Rolex though, very expensive and not that unique in terms of design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Eh, everyone?

I don't know anyone who doesn't wear a watch.

My cousin who repairs and services luxury watches claims there is huge difference in craftsmanship and quality between Rolex and other high end brands like Breitling. He considers Kors, CK, Armanni and similar branded watches crap. I can't tell the difference between them but chance is that those who know about watches can.

• Advertisement

meeeeh wrote: »
    My cousin who repairs and services luxury watches claims there is huge difference in craftsmanship and quality between Rolex and other high end brands like Breitling. He considers Kors, CK, Armanni and similar branded watches crap. I can't tell the difference between them but chance is that those who know about watches can.

Really quick and dirty guide follows... (does not cover everything)

Most fashion watches will be quartz or battery based. More about looks than actual mechanics. Having said that, there are several fashion brands that sell mechanically decent watches. I wouldn't call them all cr*p, but these watches tend to be about looks.

Serious watch lovers tend to like automatic (and other forms of non-battery) watches. These can be relatively cheap, or can be in the Rolex-price category. These watches need to be worn to stay powered up and can require servicing to stay accurate.

If you want to learn more, the Watches and Timepieces forum (under Science Category) is the place for you. They are seriously into their watches!

Yeah I know about different mechanisms, what I meant is I couldn't tell the difference in performance of one or another or why one is so much better. As I couldn't say why he is so snotty about watches that cost thousands and are according to him just not up to scratch. It is one of my little pleasures asking him if he can repair some cheap seconda watch just to see the expression of horror on his face. He is snobby enough to consider it bellow him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I stopped following her after literally all her outfits were from River Island, she was blatantly getting paid or getting the gear free. I mentioned this in a comment, which was then deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SarahJ wrote: »
    I stopped following her after literally all her outfits were from River Island, she was blatantly getting paid or getting the gear free. I mentioned this in a comment, which was then deleted.

I had a look at her site after reading about her on here. The post I read was like an advertisement for river island. It was blatantly obvious she was being paid to plug the stuff.

Also, one of the dresses she was wearing was a bit short, nothing drastic. She felt the need to state that this is because her legs are super long but that it would be fine on her readers who I can only assume she thinks are all short, average types. I'm not sure why she has such a large following. She should make the most of it while she can and stop wasting money on rolexes and new BMWs!

• Advertisement

What I found bizarre is she had a "yay or nay" style post on different celebs style, where she'd choose someone, post their outfit up on their blog and leave it on there for people to critise aspects of the outfit they didn't like and others who would love it.

Then she would post up pictures of herself dressed up and posing and people naturally did the same. So someone could be like "I love the top but the trousers are XYZ", and she would delete all negative comments, not even negative, just comments that didn't worship her, leave some passive aggressive remark about haters and jealousy, and her army of deluded followers would absolutely jump on top and lunch whoever dares not see her as the wonderful model she is.

I know someone who used to write on her blog when it was first launched, and who knew her through some modelling stuff she did, and the girl said she is horrible in real life. Not that that matters I suppose, but she is quite naive to think this isn't going to come crashing down around her. She didn't make it as a model, she's in her 30s now, no real qualifications or prospects (as she said herself when she talked about why she set up the blog), she should be setting herself up for the future. BMWs and Rolex comes later when you're secure.

I've not heard of Sinead, will give her a follow!

Sinead's Curvy Style and fashion that's the name, I like it because she does a lot of dunnes/penneys... things I can actually afford lol

What, you mean you can't afford Loubs and Rolexs?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I too find Pippa O'Connor's blog miles better but then again I'm not 15 but good luck to her for now.

The River Island thing really got to me too a while back and I gave up on her. She should just admit that the posts are sponsered which people wouldn't really have an issue with instead of insulting your readers intelligence when almost every piece of clothing featured is now RI!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Obvorious

It's pretty obvious that she buys her followers, there are people with 10k followers that get far more average likes per photo. At the rate she's buying them she'll have about 500k followed and a few hundred likes per photo.

This book will be bargain binned in a week, though I'm sure there'll be months of hearing her talk about it being a "bestseller".

The strangest part is how quick people are to believe all of it.

Did she used to be friends with the make up fairy Joanne Larby? Someone told me recently they had a falling out but I didn't even know the used to be friends!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement