Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recording audio

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all I may have to record a concert for a choir at some stage in the future I was thinking of using my canon 50d as camera and recording the the audio separately and adding together in a video package. so what would I use to record audio in a situation like this.

Clarity sake I was planning to place the camera in the choir stalls at the back

where I could plug it in and leave it recording just before the concert, the choir will be singing on the altar and having a mike out somewhere in front of the choir.
    there is a considerable distance between the choir and the camera so I'm not sure if have audio set up there would work.

this will all have to work un-aided as I will be singing also.

so what do you guys suggest I record audio with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

sheesh wrote: »
    Hi all I may have to record a concert for a choir at some stage in the future I was thinking of using my canon 50d as camera and recording the the audio separately and adding together in a video package. so what would I use to record audio in a situation like this.

Clarity sake I was planning to place the camera in the choir stalls at the back

where I could plug it in and leave it recording just before the concert, the choir will be singing on the altar and having a mike out somewhere in front of the choir.
    there is a considerable distance between the choir and the camera so I'm not sure if have audio set up there would work.

this will all have to work un-aided as I will be singing also.

so what do you guys suggest I record audio with?

Simplest thing might be to use something like a zoom h4n or h6n. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600761-REG/Zoom_H4N_H4n_Handy_Mobile_4_Track.html
    They're a pretty good audio recorder with built in stereo mics which sound pretty decent.

You could pop in in front of the choir on a tripod (or even a mini tripod) and get a nice stereo recording up close and sync it with the video after. I've recorded a few acoustic gigs like this and they came out pretty well.

The h4ns are cheap enough these days, but you should be able to rent or borrow one handy enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

The h4n is a massive overkill for this. The Zoom H1 will be perfect for what you want to do.
    Where are you based? I have a heap of them if you wanted to borrow one instead of buying for just one event?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

CinSoots wrote: »
    The h4n is a massive overkill for this. The Zoom H1 will be perfect for what you want to do.
    Where are you based? I have a heap of them if you wanted to borrow one instead of buying for just one event?

thank you for the offer Based in Tralee, you?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

sheesh wrote: »
    thank you for the offer Based in Tralee, you?
    Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

CinSoots wrote: »
    Dublin :)

we'll leave it so, But thanks for the offer, it was very kind. I know a couple of musios around here and one of them might be able to help me out. if not I might buy one myself and do intermittent recordings of the choir and put it up on youtube with a picture of us it would be useful for marketing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement