Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre in Dun Laoghaire - cabinet ROC1_034

Options
  • 05-11-2014 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi

although this area has been eFibre enabled for a long time, there seems to be a delay with cabinet ROC1_034.

I've been calling every month to try to get an update, to no avail. Do you have any indication when this cabinet might become active?

Expected to be located right outside Rathdown School, so they may have a dependency on this too.

We don't have UPC in our area, so no other options for fast broadband available.

Thanks for your help
    Stan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

stannman wrote: »
    Hi

although this area has been eFibre enabled for a long time, there seems to be a delay with cabinet ROC1_034.

I've been calling every month to try to get an update, to no avail. Do you have any indication when this cabinet might become active?

Expected to be located right outside Rathdown School, so they may have a dependency on this too.

We don't have UPC in our area, so no other options for fast broadband available.

Thanks for your help
    Stan
    Hi stannman

There is still yet to be an agreed action date for this cabinet (including others in the area too eg 36 & 37)

I contacted efibre planning for an approximate time frame and while they could not offer me much information they did suggest that it may extend to early to mid 2015 before ROC_34 is activated.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stannman

Okay - thanks very much for checking, Alan!

Okay - thanks very much for checking, Alan!
    No worries stannman

Al

Hi

now 6 months later - can you please provide an update on cabinet ROC1_034?

Still not installed but would be great to get an ETA.

Many thanks
    Stan

Hi

now 6 months later - can you please provide an update on cabinet ROC1_034?

Still not installed but would be great to get an ETA.

Many thanks
    Stan
    Hi stannman

There has yet to be an agreed date of launch for ROC1_034. I'm aware that previous indications suggested mid 2015 however it is now evident that expectations have been pushed back to late 2015 - I'm genuinely sorry I can't offer better news or specific dates yet Stanman.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, Al.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to expedite.

Thanks for the update, Al.

Please let us know if there's anything we can do to expedite.
    No worries stanman

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 6 chrish0001

Looks like there's something happening for ROC1_034. I saw a new cabinet outside Rathdown school in the last few days. There's one large green cabinet and beside it what looks like the concrete foundations for a smaller cabinet (typically used for eircom fiber installations).

Chris.

chrish0001 wrote: »
    Looks like there's something happening for ROC1_034. I saw a new cabinet outside Rathdown school in the last few days. There's one large green cabinet and beside it what looks like the concrete foundations for a smaller cabinet (typically used for eircom fiber installations).

Chris.

Thanks very much for flagging this, Chris - looks promising alright - hopefully they'll hook it up without too much delay.

I also noticed there's some graffiti across the top already - didn't take long... 

Yes - saw the graffiti too!

I guess the reason this installation has taken so long is that almost everyone around here is on UPC. We moved into the area from Killiney Ave. where we had 50Mbps from the eircom fiber network. I assumed Glenageary would be the same when I signed up for the same service here and was shocked to discover that I could only get ~2Mbps down (as fiber hadn't been deployed in our immediate area). I really hope this changes for the better soon!

• Advertisement

I guess the reason this installation has taken so long is that almost everyone around here is on UPC. We moved into the area from Killiney Ave. where we had 50Mbps from the eircom fiber network. I assumed Glenageary would be the same when I signed up for the same service here and was shocked to discover that I could only get ~2Mbps down (as fiber hadn't been deployed in our immediate area). I really hope this changes for the better soon!
    Hi vinniemac

I'll request an update on this and get back to you as soon as I have more information

Thanks
    Al

Yeah - I get about ~6Mbps down but still very limited.

Would love to have UPC as an option, but our stretch of the Upper Glenageary Road was never cabled by UPC (or NTL or Cablelink...), so this has never been available as an alternative. Any time I spoke with UPC, message has always been there are no plans to install fresh cable if it wasn't cabled originally, unfortunately.

Hi Alan - any update to report?

New fibre cabinet was added here this week.

Eir reps - do you have an ETA on when this cabinet will go live now that it's physically installed?

Yes - I also noticed that the second Fibre cabinet is now in place outside Rathdown School. It would be nice to get an update on when this is going to be put into service. Any news Eir people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

New fibre cabinet was added here this week.

Eir reps - do you have an ETA on when this cabinet will go live now that it's physically installed?
    Hi stannman, 

I've checked this for you and I'm afraid we have no leadtime as of yet. I've checked our current roll out file and you it's not on this, which it seems it won't be in the near future. The next file is due in a few months time, feel free to check back with us then.

I'm sorry it's not better news.

Thanks

Tracey 

Radio silence...

Eir reps - can you please look into this?

I phoned up customer service, but all I got was "you'll get a letter through your letter box when it's ready".

Not sure why plans need to be so opaque.

Radio silence...

I phoned up customer service, but all I got was "you'll get a letter through your letter box when it's ready".

Hi stannman

I fully understand why you would feel this way but there is genuinely no specific planned date for launch although I have contacted field operations who feel that it will likely be early to mid 2016 - that's an approximation and can change but hopefully not.

Cheers
    Al

Radio silence...

Hi stannman

I fully understand why you would feel this way but there is genuinely no specific planned date for launch although I have contacted field operations who feel that it will likely be early to mid 2016 - that's an approximation and can change but hopefully not.

Cheers
    Al

Radio silence...

Hi stannman

Cheers
    Al

• Advertisement

Radio silence...

Hi stannman

Cheers
    Al

Radio silence...

Hi stannman

Cheers
    Al

Hi Al,
    This is really disappointing.

Referring to your update from Nov 2015:

"I contacted efibre planning for an approximate time frame and while they could not offer me much information they did suggest that it may extend to early to mid 2015 before ROC_34 is activated."

Can we know the reason for the ongoing delay for this particular cabinet?

It seems that there's a certain lack of joined up thinking when there are cabinets being installed like this maybe 9 mths to 1 year before they're "planned" to be put into service. 

Thanks,

Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi Al,
    This is really disappointing.

Referring to your update from Nov 2015:

"I contacted efibre planning for an approximate time frame and while they could not offer me much information they did suggest that it may extend to early to mid 2015 before ROC_34 is activated."

Can we know the reason for the ongoing delay for this particular cabinet?

It seems that there's a certain lack of joined up thinking when there are cabinets being installed like this maybe 9 mths to 1 year before they're "planned" to be put into service. 

Thanks,

Chris.
    I'm sorry chris but due to such delays that is why I would I cannot offer specific dates or timeframes.

I can't offer you reasons for the delays - ultimately such infrastructural and network details are not available to the public or available to request.

Thanks
    AL

Hey Stannman,
    Some good news maybe!

Cycling past Rathdown School this morning (Sunday), there were 3 Eir technicians working on the cabling right next to the new fiber cabinet. I got off my bike and asked them if I should have reason for optimism. They told me that fiber should be available from this cabinet in approx. 2-3 weeks. 

Now this is obviously completely at odds with the update above - but then why would Eir have 3 technicans out on a Sunday morning (presumably on double time) if the plan was to activate this in 9 months time?!

So fingers crossed!

Chris.

Also there's an update on the "Where and When Fibrerollout" website:

ROC1_034
    Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress

Also there's an update on the "Where and When Fibrerollout" website:

ROC1_034
    Fibre Build commenced - completion work is in progress
    Hi chrish0001

The latest information on this from our Networks team is that the estimated timeframe is still early to mid '16. I don't know why you were advised 2 or 3 weeks and Obviously I genuinely hope it's done sooner but that's the official indication eir networks can currently offer on this right now.

Al

The other change I noticed this week is that when I key in my address or phone number at the efibre.ie web site, it now says "Good news! eir Fibre is coming to your area" where it used to say it's not yet available in your area.

Hopefully this means it's coming sooner than 2016...

The other change I noticed this week is that when I key in my address or phone number at the efibre.ie web site, it now says "Good news! eir Fibre is coming to your area" where it used to say it's not yet available in your area.

Hopefully this means it's coming sooner than 2016...
    Hi stannman

As I mentioned - I genuinely hope it does but I have no further indication of dates or timeframe to what was previously advised - I wish I could offer you better news sorry.

Al

• Advertisement

Still eagerly awaiting some decent broadband here in Dun Laoghaire. Four months later and still no sign of efibre going live here.

@Alan - any news from your side on when this might be rolled out.

Thanks
    Stan

Advertisement