Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Siver on BT Sports 19th Jan. Prelims: Midnight. Main Card: 3am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Very nice finish from Larkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Holy crap. That fight might be the shortest I've yet seen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

hahaha ...

Aldo is a pretty funny guy and can hold his own in the trash talk aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

When Larkin asked the ref if he should keep going, if he had just walked away Howard would have dropped to the floor and the fight would have been over. Those finishing punches were unnecessary imo

• Advertisement

Actually on another viewing, Howard was holding his leg so disregard what I said

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DirkDiggly22

Finally, an early stoppage!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pendred up next I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DirkDiggly22

They take ages in between fights, CmcG won't be on until 4:30 earliest.. Looking forward to Cerrone-Henderson too. Pendred up next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So they finally learned how to pronounce Pendred's first name! Sick of hearing Ca-Hawl for the past year! :pac:

• Advertisement

Some lovely Swedes in the crowd.

Man this Pendred fight will be a tough watch. Hate to say it but the best thing that could happen to him is a flash KO.

He does'nt have the striking skills to get anywhere in the UFC. It is hard to watch a young fighter take so much damage when they fight. His toughness almost gives him a false hope.

He seems like a smart guy and I would hate to see all this damage he is taking have its toll. I mean the pittance the UFC are paying cannot be worth normal brain function.

jodaw wrote: »
    Man this Pendred fight will be a tough watch. Hate to say it but the best thing that could happen to him is a flash KO.

He does'nt have the striking skills to get anywhere in the UFC. It is hard to watch a young fighter take so much damage when they fight. His toughness almost gives him a false hope.

He seems like a smart guy and I would hate to see all this damage he is taking have its toll. I mean the pittance the UFC are paying cannot be worth normal brain function.

Ya I havn't been impressed with his standup at all. Decent wrestler though.

He hardly took any damage in his last fight. He may well have improved his striking since July, I think he mainly needs to loosen up a bit in there. Reserve judgement until after the fight. His opponent I isn't a world-beater.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Sadly, got to agree. Think he's going to take a lot of punishment but he's a tough lad...really hope he proves me wrong. Come on Cathal!!

Ya I havn't been impressed with his standup at all. Decent wrestler though.

Its the damage he takes. I mean Pendred has been taking Sanchez level damage since he is in the UFC. That can take its toll quickly.

Do the UFC give MRI scans constantly to fighters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Finally, an early stoppage!!

I have a cheeky novelty bet on Uriah Hall's fight to be the shortest so hoping there's more to come!

Good gameplan Cathal. Nice take down.

Wrestling is his strongpoint so concentrate on it and avoid striking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Logos on arses, backing our own. The Score.ie would have been better :D

Seriously man Pendred is wayyyy out of his depth striking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cathal lucky to survive there. His striking is awful limited. Doesn't want to be getting into any long exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only a matter of time before Pendred gets KO'd badly. Maybe not this fight, maybe not the next. But soon...

It's kinda ridiculous that his striking is still so so bad.

He needs to get in close like he was at the start. Those blows really took the wind out of him

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before Pendred gets KO'd badly. Maybe not this fight, maybe not the next. But soon...

It's kinda ridiculous that his striking is still so so bad.

But does that reflect bad on SBG that they are sending him in there with such poor striking? And more so very poor defence and head movement. Thats why he is taking so much damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

But does that reflect bad on SBG that they are sending him in there with such poor striking?

Slowest puncher I've ever seen.

Pendred looking like he's trying to land a haymaker. He just doesn't move as fast as Spencer, not even half. I'm a bit worried for him here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

But does that reflect bad on SBG that they are sending him in there with such poor striking? And more so very poor defence and head movement. Thats why he is taking so much damage

Is it the club for the standard of training, or the fighter for simply not picking it up?

Only Pendred and Kavanagh know the answer.

Pendred looking like he's trying to land a haymaker. He just doesn't move as fast as Spencer, not even half. I'm a bit worried for him here

He's almost pulling his hand back, winding it up like a whirlwind, and then striking.

Jeez he is a serious tough barsteward, but hell them punches will take their toll

• Advertisement

Cathal might have nicked the 2nd round with that late takedown and kimura attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Kavanagh sure loves the camera on him, few nice little glimpses on him checking to see if they are catching his pearls of wisdom to his fighter

Being forced into a striking match is making Pendred look very sloppy. If he doesn't get the takedown here I think he'll be losing on points

Kavanagh sure loves the camera on him, few nice little glimpses on him checking to see if they are catching his pearls of wisdom to his fighter

Yep.

Sometimes people just can't pick up proper technique. Unfortunately for Pendred it's punching that he has a difficulty with. It's a testament to himself that he's got this far in his mma career tbh.

Cathal is tough as hell but unless he substantially improves his striking and finishing abilities he won't have too many more fights in the UFC. He won't be able to grind down enough opponents at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Poor fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So don't punch. It's simple. If your striking is sub par, don't stand and trade. Take down every round. It's not pretty and it wont win you fans, but it will win you fights.

How many fights left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Wow. Hmmm. Robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

30-27. really? No way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bollocks decision. Spencer was robbed blind!

Not unhappy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Packoman

Bit lucky there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

home town decision there tbh

I was hoping his striking might improve a little fight by fight. But he is getting worse if anything.

His training partner is one of the best strikers at FW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eh.. How?

Unanimous decision win for Pendred.

Errr...

Wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lulwut?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Jesus. did not see that coming. Unanimous decision????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Saipanne wrote: »
    How many fights left?

4 after this, including Conor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement