Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Siver on BT Sports 19th Jan. Prelims: Midnight. Main Card: 3am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    It still isn't sold out. Americans are slow to buy tickets, I imagine there'll be a few tickets bought on a whim at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: TimRiggins,....don't be a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Fight is available on BT Sports or UFC Fight Pass online if you do not have a subscription to the sports channels.

UFC fight pass is a subscription service but you can get one week free when you start it. Just be sure to cancel it within a week and you are golden.

I know it has been said before, and to be fair when you google it it does just say fox sports. But if you go to ufc.com it will show where the fight is available in your local area. It states BT sport for the main and UFC fight pass for the early prelims. However the whole card will be on fight pass.

Just an FYI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Foxtrol wrote: »
    More that a lot of locals wouldnt commit knowing the Patriots could have clashed with it. If they'd lost at the weekend I'd say it would be sold out by now. There aren't too many tickets left which is still pretty impressive.

It looks like its 99% sold out looking at the the map on Ticketmaster: http://www.ticketmaster.com/ufc-fight-night-boston-massachusetts-01-18-2015/event/01004D6AB90046CF?artistid=806762&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=830&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004D6AB90046CF

Only the nose bleeds are left and at $91 for a nose bleed, its a bit of a rip off.

All seats in the lower sections are going for 2/3x above face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What time is Conor fighting?

- Just kidding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Hazys wrote: »
    It looks like its 99% sold out looking at the the map on Ticketmaster: http://www.ticketmaster.com/ufc-fight-night-boston-massachusetts-01-18-2015/event/01004D6AB90046CF?artistid=806762&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=830&tm_link=artist_msg-0_01004D6AB90046CF

Only the nose bleeds are left and at $91 for a nose bleed, its a bit of a rip off.

All seats in the lower sections are going for 2/3x above face value.

Theres a good lot for $55 in the back section. The section in front of that is $91. Does look about 99% sold alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's way less than 99% sold. If you zoom in it shows the exact many seats are left.
    I picked one of the sections that had about a lot left, and there was 170 seats. That's 1% in that section alone.
    Some sections have less than that but a lot are similar. Theres maybe 1500-2000 seats left. What's the capacity, about 15-20k?

There's way less than 99% sold. If you zoom in it shows the exact many seats are left.
    I picked one of the sections that had about a lot left, and there was 170 seats. That's 1% in that section alone.
    Some sections have less than that but a lot are similar. Theres maybe 1500-2000 seats left. What's the capacity, about 15-20k?

So Conor's not all that big a draw after all, I assumed he was:pac:

dave1982 wrote: »
    So Conor's not all that big a draw after all, I assumed he was:pac:
    It supposedly down to how big a deal this AFL Final is for the state. I don't know much about it though. And maybe people writing off Siver.

I'd be interested to know how many were sold in ireland though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Weigh-in details out but not ideal for a lot of people travelling.
    UFC officials today announced Boston’s Orpheum Theatre will play host to Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 59 weigh-ins, but fans should note they will need to secure complimentary tickets for admission.

“Due to overwhelming demand and limited capacity,” according to UFC officials, tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning at 10 a.m. ET on Friday, Jan. 16, at the Orpheum Theatre box office.

Tickets are limited to two per person.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/bostons-orpheum-theatre-gets-ufc-fight-night-59-weigh-ins-free-tickets-needed

Anyone that is a UFC Fight Pass Member can follow this link for instructions to reserve tickets in advance. They're supposed to be first come, first served so not great for most in Ireland who would have been asleep when it was announced.

http://forums.ufcfightclub.com/topic/178751-ufc-boston-qaweigh-in-tickets-free/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

How does Fight Pass work? The fights are uploaded the day after the event has aired or something like that?

PPVs (main cards) are available a month after then air.

All other events and prelims are available live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »

Siver knows hes beaten, even from his 30 seconds in this you can just see he doesnt have any believe.... Or that could be his german persona :pac:

• Advertisement

It supposedly down to how big a deal this AFL Final is for the state. I don't know much about it though. And maybe people writing off Siver.

I'd be interested to know how many were sold in ireland though.

having it on that weekend was a poor idea the patriots where always likely to get to the afc championship game and have home field advantage and nothing else in boston was going to get much attention particularly with brady getting on people want to see him out in his last few years. its unfortunate because i do think this would have sold out pretty quickly otherwise

having it on that weekend was a poor idea the patriots where always likely to get to the afc championship game and have home field advantage and nothing else in boston was going to get much attention particularly with brady getting on people want to see him out in his last few years. its unfortunate because i do think this would have sold out pretty quickly otherwise

Not to mention Belichick is nearing the end too, this is the last few years of golden era for the Patriots.

Although the venue is pretty much sold out but it will definitely be just an after thought to the city of Boston. The Patriots making the AFC Championship is huge. Whats worse is the game is on at the same time as the under card and will cut into the main card and if the game goes into overtime, the majority of people watching on tv will miss the majority of the main card. All that advertising on local TV and on billboards and trash cans will go to waste as the majority of people in Boston won't care about UFC come Sunday. Silly strategy by the UFC.

Myself personally, i'm a massive Patriots fan and I'm going to the Garden on Sunday. Huge conflict for me as I want to watch the Pats game and hopefully catch the under card too. I'm not looking forward to the prospect of watching some of the Pats' game in the corridor of the garden in between fights. #firstworldproblems

You’re only looking at the small picture here. The fight is close to being sold out at this stage but selling out an event in the Boston market isn’t the target here. The UFC want to push Conor to the mainstream audience and having it on this night is an amazing opportunity to do so. For the last two weeks they’ve been advertising Conor to Fox audiences (including mid-playoff games) and it’s highly likely they’ll get big viewing figures from the audience switching over after the game.

Having it this weekend is no way a poor decision when you look at the big picture of pushing the McGregor brand to the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What time is the fight due to come on at?

I've a day off on Monday thanks to Martin Luther King day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What time is the fight due to come on at?

I've a day off on Monday thanks to Martin Luther King day.

Seriously is this not going to be put in the OP or what??? Ive reported it to the mods a dsy or two ago and no action. Its going to get worse the next few days

• Advertisement

Beersmith wrote: »
    Seriously is this not going to be put in the OP or what??? Ive reported it to the mods a dsy or two ago and no action. Its going to get worse the next few days

god you've got a tough life :D

Main Card starts at 10pm EST (3am GMT). The first 3 fights are 15 minutes long but can end at any time. Unknown length of breaks between fights but Conor's fight might be on between 4 and 5am.

The above might be a bit too long to edit into the thread title.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You’re only looking at the small picture here. The fight is close to being sold out at this stage but selling out an event in the Boston market isn’t the target here. The UFC want to push Conor to the mainstream audience and having it on this night is an amazing opportunity to do so. For the last two weeks they’ve been advertising Conor to Fox audiences (including mid-playoff games) and it’s highly likely they’ll get big viewing figures from the audience switching over after the game.

Having it this weekend is no way a poor decision when you look at the big picture of pushing the McGregor brand to the masses.

If the game goes to over time, people may only see Conor's fight at best which maybe (hopefully) over in a 60 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

A highlight reel/promo for UFC Boston. Slightly different than the norm, contains cage warrior footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Beersmith wrote: »

Even better, a mod could stick it in the thread title.

Hazys wrote: »
    If the game goes to over time, people may only see Conor's fight at best which maybe (hopefully) over in a 60 seconds

To only see Conor’s fight you’re talking about the game lasting 4.5 hours, which is pretty unlikely.

UFC goes up directly head to head against plenty of other big US events so the outside chance of a game going long isn’t going to scare them, especially with the huge upside of having the event that night.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Even better, a mod could stick it in the thread title.
    I'm not a mod but I'll give it a shot ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

DeVore wrote: »

Thinly veiled "I am God" post... :cool:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

463.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

DeVore wrote: »

Backseat modding.........that's a paddlin. :D

On another note....I've made the thread title better. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

El Guapo! wrote: »

Just noticed that part myself :)

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Backseat modding.........that's a paddlin.

Epic thread title!! :D

WP with the title lads
    That should be a reoccurring fine for excessioaners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

WP with the title lads
    That should be a reoccurring fine for excessioaners

Indeed, ive told over 200 people via pm that they missed it and conor actually beat brock to death last night and to contact their local td to get mma banned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Anyone lucky enough to be in Boston, open workouts tomorow. Free entry.

http://on.ufc.com/1BslatX

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Conor McGregor joins UFC tonight to discuss his upcoming bout against Dennis Siver and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

If (WHEN) he beats Siver, Im hoping he gets the title shot in Ireland. Obviously we have that big problem of catering for American timezones and the fact Croker is in a residential area, its hard to see. I reckon it will be in Vegas but we can dream.

If its on in Croke Park sure they can sort out a halftime show and get Garth over for it too :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't believe he will but I hope McGregor loses as I despise his attitude and regardless I won't be watching, this fight or his next:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

This should be straight forward for him but I really don't give him a chance against Aldo should that be next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If (WHEN) he beats Siver, Im hoping he gets the title shot in Ireland. Obviously we have that big problem of catering for American timezones and the fact Croker is in a residential area, its hard to see. I reckon it will be in Vegas but we can dream.

If its on in Croke Park sure they can sort out a halftime show and get Garth over for it too :D

Selfishly I want Vegas. Living in the west of Canada it'd be an easier trip. Plus the excuse to have a weekend in Vegas :D

Lol at the amount of people, who likely have never watched an MMA fight outside of Connor last two, saying that Siver should be easy.

Siver was ranked 3rd FW for a reason. He's no slouch, and he's realistically on par with Porrier, if not better imo.

Embedded 2 is out. Tom Egan makes an appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Lol at the amount of people, who likely have never watched an MMA fight outside of Connor last two, saying that Siver should be easy.

Siver was ranked 3rd FW for a reason. He's no slouch, and he's realistically on par with Porrier, if not better imo.

Yeah, they'll just hang on his every word. I'd rate Dustin above Dennis to be honest but I don't feel there's much in it between the two.

I said against Brandao that he wouldn't finish him first round and he did.
    Then I said the Poirier fight would be a tight decision either way!

I do think he'll finish him quick though, McGregor just seems to hit like a truck!

Was thinking same thing Sivers been round long time and you don't do that unless you good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

Anyone else watching those embedded videos on McGregor and Siver get that Rocky 3 training feel about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Biggest difference for me between Siver and any other fighter McGregor has faced in the UFC or prior is the fact that Siver won't get taken in as much by McGregors mind games and trash talk.

Poirier, Brandao and Brimmage were all on the back foot before the cage door even closed. I'd say the same about Dave Hill when they fought in CW.

Siver may have shown one or two chinks in his mental armour alright but against Conor in fight week, Dustin Poirier was calling Conor all sorts and was really wound up going by what we saw in the embedded video of them in the same room.

Siver isn't impervious but he's a far more seasoned pro and I'd wager a much calmer type of person in general than most of Conors previous opponents.

Weigh in will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

John_D80 wrote: »
    Biggest difference for me between Siver and any other fighter McGregor has faced in the UFC or prior is the fact that Siver won't get taken in as much by McGregors mind games and trash talk.

Poirier, Brandao and Brimmage were all on the back foot before the cage door even closed. I'd say the same about Dave Hill when they fought in CW.

Siver may have shown one or two chinks in his mental armour alright but against Conor in fight week, Dustin Poirier was calling Conor all sorts and was really wound up going by what we saw in the embedded video of them in the same room.

Siver isn't impervious but he's a far more seasoned pro and I'd wager a much calmer type of person in general than most of Conors previous opponents.

Weigh in will be interesting.

There was no mind games with Holloway. Still went in and shut him down completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

There was no mind games with Holloway. Still went in and shut him down completely.

Yeah I deliberately left holloways name out there. There seemed to be a respect there from McGregor towards Holloway in place of the usual bravado and trash talk.

Siver has been on the receiving end of it though and has not risen to it that I can see, with the exception of one or two comments about Conor being an asshole or something to that effect.

Siver also seems to have a decent punch on him (backed, no doubt, by juiced muscles! :) )... I still think Conor will take it but its certainly not the walk over everyone seems to think it is.
    Conor's power comes from his technique as much as anything, his hooks are text book and his slips are scary fast. He has some of the best movement in that regard, in the UFC imho. I think Siver will come swinging for the fences which will leave him open but also gives him a punchers chance. I dunno what Sivers ground game is like, but if Conor cant find a way safely through the standup, he might decide he'd rather compete on the ground...

• Advertisement
Advertisement