Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Siver on BT Sports 19th Jan. Prelims: Midnight. Main Card: 3am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

figs666 wrote: »
    His last fight he showed true heart . Remember the end of the second round . And that was against a guy who stood in with a weeks notice .

I dont think he has the skills but he might pull it out for the irish crowd

I'm not sure what the relevance the weeks notice is terms of Paddy's showing tbh.
    He definitely has the skills imo. Breaks him with a knee to the midsection. Invites the ground game and secures a triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

sorry guys reqd through the thread and can't find it, when roughly is the fight?

In the thread description..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACANDROID

Confident in all the lads for tonight, Id say Norman has the toughest fight of the lads, really hope he does it. Someone said it in the betting forum and i have to agree is that Conor looked incredibly drained.. more than usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Reckon tonight is the night pendred comes unstuck. I don't rate him at all, very poor striking and overall skill set. The junior cup rugby maul technique just isn't adequate at this level. He should have a solid career back in cage contende though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Paddy to win by rear naked choke. Can't freaking wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Conor sounded half cut in that promo video before they went out to weigh in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Siver so calm in the face off with McGregor. Conor is not in his head like Dustin and co before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Siver seems like a very quite little fella. Its hard to dislike him.

Hope he gets his head knocked though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Just a heads up to the lads recording it to watch it tomorrow, it might be no harm to record "world wide sports " on BT sport at 5.30am, which is directly after the scheduled UFC programming. I find it hard to believe that the ufc are gonna be able to squeeze the four main card fights , along with all the ads and pre fight stuff into the scheduled two hours. They tend to drag the arse out of these fox shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Siver seems like a very quite little fella. Its hard to dislike him.

Hope he gets his head knocked though

Failing that drug test aside, I always enjoy watching Siver fight in the UFC... Well, his second stint onwards at least.

He is a tough fighter and has a very solid ground game but I can't really put forward a legitimate case as to why he wins this fight.

Stylistically, I think it's going to be fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the relevance the weeks notice is terms of Paddy's showing tbh.
    He definitely has the skills imo. Breaks him with a knee to the midsection. Invites the ground game and secures a triangle.

Paddy has a big heart . Maybe he was going for the 50k bonus to pay off his mums house last time and that was his downfall .hopefully the boston crowd will bring out his best performance

That_Guy wrote: »
    Failing that drug test aside, I always enjoy watching Siver fight in the UFC... Well, his second stint onwards at least.

He is a tough fighter and has a very solid ground game but I can't really put forward a legitimate case as to why he wins this fight.

Stylistically, I think it's going to be fun to watch.

If siver catches mcgregor with a back side kick its all over .

Plus gunnar /story fight shows that fighters are NOW ready for their straight back stanced style of fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

If siver catches mcgregor with a back side kick its all over .

Plus gunnar /story fight shows that fighters are NOW ready for their straight back stanced style of fighting

That's a karate style, and Machida had been doing it for years. Gunni is more a grappler than a striker really, at least his core is grappling, and he's a decent striker.

It's Conor's footwork and angles that everyone has struggled with so far, and no one yet has been even close to figuring it out.

And they only have a few exchanges to figure out out too, because as soon as one decent punch lands, the focus turns quickly to damage control. Hence so many first round finishes.

And why it's so fun to watch. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

If siver catches mcgregor with a back side kick its all over.

Not nessecarily. Plenty fighters have taken Sivers 'trademark' shot and just shook it off.

You can't possibly be comparing Nelson and McGregor. In terms of fighting style and even stance, they are poles apart. Conor has a fluidity of movement in his stance that is just not evident in Nelsons stand up game.

Conors stance works for him because he has outstanding footwork and head movement and spatial awareness that's second to none.

John_D80 wrote: »
    You can't possibly be comparing Nelson and McGregor. In terms of fighting style and even stance, they are poles apart. Conor has a fluidity of movement in his stance that is just not evident in Nelsons stand up game.

Conors stance works for him because he has outstanding footwork and head movement and spatial awareness that's second to none.

Gunnar was been gunned as the next welterweigh contender until story figured him out .

Machida was figured out . Now he is copying spider silva .

I dont see mcgregor getting past an elite level wrestler edgar , lamas or mendes with that left leg hanging out there .

as for fluid movement . Yes he has that but chris weidman doesn't advertise his movement as much as mcgregor but in my book he is the best pound for pound champion .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Gunnar was been gunned as the next welterweigh contender until story figured him out .

I dont see mcgregor getting past an elite level wrestler edgar , lamas or mendes with that left leg hanging out there .

as for fluid movement . Yes he has that but chris weidman doesn't advertise his movement as much as mcgregor but in my book he is the best pound for pound champion .

Not as much as Conor is. People were saying Gunnar could be, rather then will be. He needs to drop a weight class for me but the lightweight division is stacked atm so its tough for him.

Don't know how you can draw the conclusion that Machida is copying Silva but thats a different argument.

Do you have a chip on your shoulder about the Irish lads or something? You only seem to come in here talking them down and saying that they'll lose.

By whom exactly? Most people saw/see Gunnar Nelson for what he is. A fighter with prospects but who needs a lot of work.

Like I said already, two almost total opposites in terms of style.

What?? I've no idea what you're talking about but how are Silva and Machida even relevant to McGregors fighting stance.

Hanging out where? To the rear? McGregor leads with his right in a broad stance. Can't see you would be concerned about the placement of his back foot agains a wrestler.

The man has 15 (I think) KO/TKO's from 16 victories and you think he advertises his movement?? Riiiiiiiiiight.

Edit: Sorry, 14 KO/TKO's. Forgot about his submission win over Dave Hill for a sec.

• Advertisement

TimRiggins wrote: »

Do you have a chip on your shoulder about the Irish lads or something? You only seem to come in here talking them down and saying that they'll lose.

No chip . I just think true champions are confident and humble . GSP . Weidman , aldo . dillashaw and jones when he's not coked up

No chip . I just think true champions are confident and humble . GSP . Weidman , aldo . dillashaw and jones when he's not coked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Cocky in prediction, confident in preparation but always humble in victory or defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Reality is mcgregor fight won't be on until what, 4-5am?

Cocky in prediction, confident in preparation but always humble in victory or defeat.

Humble me bag . After he hamnerfisted poirier in the back of the head . He was blowing sihte about how he hits harder than any other featherweight . Which is untrue . Mendes has more knockouts ( not TKO'S)

Humble is GSP after manhandling an hardy and then been respectful enough to say he done better than he done at his furst title shot .. True champion

when mcgregir gets his serving of humble pie he will be just anither sonnon or hardy . All talk and soon firgotten about

Dillashaw has the personality of a foot and Jones was hardly humble after beating Cormier. McGregor is always humble after his fights aswell.

Humble me bag . After he hamnerfisted poirier in the back of the head . He was blowing sihte about how he hits harder than any other featherweight . Which is untrue . Mendes has more knockouts ( not TKO'S)

Humble is GSP after manhandling an hardy and then been respectful enough to say he done better than he done at his furst title shot .. True champion

when mcgregir gets his serving of humble pie he will be just anither sonnon or hardy . All talk and soon firgotten about

He hit, what, one hammerfist to the back of his head when he was falling down? He was a moving target at that stage and its not as if he did it deliberately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Love how one negative post about Conor, turns into 15 posts defending conors honour

People are entitled to want Conor to lose, it's no big deal.it makes no difference to anyone if he wins or loses only Connor.I not too worried bout conors feelings :)

dave1982 wrote: »
    Love how one negative post about Conor, turns into 15 posts defending conors honour

People are entitled to want Conor to lose, it's no big deal.it makes no difference to anyone if he wins or loses only Connor.I not too worried bout conors feelings :)

If you bothered to read it back you would have seen that we were actually talking about Gunnar, Machida and then, what, 2 or 3 posts about McGregor? No one has a problem with people wanting Conor to lose its stupid arguments that make no sense that annoy me.

It does make a difference to me if he wins, because an Irish man will get a title shot in a sport that I've followed for years waiting to get behind an Irish person in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Conor's brand of cockyness sells a fight a shakes hands afterwards. After his last fight Jon Jones said suck it and I hope he's somewhere crying right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If you bothered to read it back you would have seen that we were actually talking about Gunnar, Machida and then, what, 2 or 3 posts about McGregor? No one has a problem with people wanting Conor to lose its stupid arguments that make no sense that annoy me.

It does make a difference to me if he wins, because an Irish man will get a title shot in a sport that I've followed for years waiting to get behind an Irish person in it.
    I have followed for years also as have most posters here, claiming Conor is humble is crazy, proably most unhumble person in mma.
    I am behind Conor in away because he's Irish and he is good at what he does.I didn't like the slap he gave sivers hand at weigh in very scummy thing to do.maybe it done out of frustration cause he not able to break siver mentally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭the nikkei is rising

Can I watch the whole event on fightpass?

dave1982 wrote: »
    .I didn't like the slap he gave sivers hand at weigh in very scummy thing to do

Conor is an idiot . End of

Paddy is big heart / no skill / bleached torso

Cathal has big head / small brain

Tom egan is still recovering from ufc dublin 2009

Gunnar isn't irish

Marcus Davis isn't either

A true irish sportsperson is

BRIAN O DRISCOLL

Gunnar isn't irish

BRIAN O DRISCOLL

Oh dear

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

BRIAN O DRISCOLL

You seem to be just trolling. Yeah O'Driscoll is a great Irish sports person, but if you like mma then McGregor is better. Now off to the rugby forum with you if you want to talk about O'Driscoll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Gunnar isn't irish

BRIAN O DRISCOLL

And you're a troll who's now permanently banned from the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Any truth to the rumours that Siver is being sponsored by Her.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Any idea what time this fight will start at. Up at 5 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Any idea what time this fight will start at. Up at 5 anyway

Id say around the half 4 but could be earlier if the other fighters finish quick. The fox schedule says the event is running from 3 to 5am gmt. Tuning in at 4 would be be safe enough but no guarantee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Mashtun wrote: »
    If i pay the 7.99 to ufc does that bind me into a monthly bill or is it a one off that does not require any unsubscribing. I just want to pay for the fight and watch it on my phone before i head into work.

Signed up for this but havent been charged anything, bit strange

Signed up for this but havent been charged anything, bit strange

You get a one week free trail afaik

Mcg reg or is an idiot and a lowlife for the way he carries on. Too many Nut gobblers on here who get offended if you don't like him. He has sold himself well, he will come unstuck but probably not tonight. Any of aldo mendes or Edgar would destroy him and if he goes to 155 he doesn't have a hope in hell against big buachaills like cowboy cerrone, Hendo, melendez, they would lift his head clean off. Too many irish fans emotionally invested in mcgregor for no real obvious reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

You get a one week free trail afaik

can it then be cancelled do you know?

On ridiculously late, makes no sense also being in sunday with the nfl and the patriots playing, they'd have been better off having it last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

On ridiculously late, makes no sense also being in sunday with the nfl and the patriots playing, they'd have been better off having it last night

It makes perfect sense, tomorrow is a bank holiday in the states and Fox want as many people to watch the fight after the Pats game. Unfortunate for Irish fans but there ya go.

• Advertisement

can it then be cancelled do you know?

Yup, worth keeping till next Saturday night though, Redmond and Seery fighting in Sweden

Mcg reg or is an idiot and a lowlife for the way he carries on. Too many Nut gobblers on here who get offended if you don't like him. He has sold himself well, he will come unstuck but probably not tonight. Any of aldo mendes or Edgar would destroy him and if he goes to 155 he doesn't have a hope in hell against big buachaills like cowboy cerrone, Hendo, melendez, they would lift his head clean off. Too many irish fans emotionally invested in mcgregor for no real obvious reason.

Anything else you want to get off your chest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reebok put a lot of thought into Conor's walkout tee.

B02744_01.jpg?sw=640&sfrm=jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

The last remnants of your mother's feces from last night.

Surely that's more of a compliment to him than an insult. His Ma ****s all over you ???

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Reebok put a lot of thought into Conor's walkout tee.

I thought the other one was good, His chest tatoo in green white and orange

• Advertisement
Advertisement