Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid questions

Options
  • 05-11-2014 10:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hello

first of all, I want to apologise for my ignorance on the matter of mortgages, I dont really know much about them.

Myself and the wife are looking to get a mortgage, she already has one and a good chunk paid off on it too. I can go in to more details here but for now, will leave it at that. Both of us bank with AIB

My question is : high level who is best to give mortgages in this day and age ? ( ebs, aib, ulster etc )

Or does it all depend on personal circumstances

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Or does it all depend on personal circumstances

in a nutshell you have your answer already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

in a nutshell you have your answer already

Thanks, so no real good lender over another as such.

Very High level on a house of 300,000, what would the ball park fees be for

> estate agent
    > solicitor
    > stamp duty

Any other fees I am missing ? snag list person etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks, so no real good lender over another as such.

Very High level on a house of 300,000, what would the ball park fees be for

> estate agent
    > solicitor
    > stamp duty

Any other fees I am missing ? snag list person etc etc

Solicitor should be at the lower end of 1000-1500 ex vat.
    Stamp duty is 1%.
    Valuation is 100-150
    Building Survey somewhere around 300-350.

As regards the mortgage, shop around. And if you can get a decent advisor/broker, get one. It's just easier. Well, in my limited experience.

Solicitor should be at the lower end of 1000-1500 ex vat.
    Stamp duty is 1%.
    Valuation is 100-150
    Building Survey somewhere around 300-350.

As regards the mortgage, shop around. And if you can get a decent advisor/broker, get one. It's just easier. Well, in my limited experience.

perfect reply. thanks

what do you mean by valuation ?

Is this another person that has to be engaged - what does he do exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The bank will insist on an independent valuation to make sure you're not wildly overpaying and that the asset the loan will be secured on is reliable. They'll give you a list of acceptable valuers in the area.

• Advertisement

The bank want a valuation to see tha tthe house is worth what you're proposing to pay for it. Yes, it's another person you need to engage. They assess the house visually and estimate its value and forward their report to the bank.

Most banks will have a panel of valuers.

thanks all, another lad to engage so.

as far as I am aware, there are 3 high level types of Mortgages now

fixed
    variable
    tracker

Is the tracker going away in 2015 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Trackers are no longer available and haven't been for some time.

Probable best to engage a mortgage advisor/broker or the whole application process could take a looooong time.

Probable best to engage a mortgage advisor/broker or the whole application process could take a looooong time.

are you saying that based on the fact that I don't know much about things ?

• Advertisement

are you saying that based on the fact that I don't know much about things ?

Well, yes but it doesn't take much to cause delays and having seen friends go through stupid delays, it just helps when you have someone just tell you what to provide and then run through the different type of mortgages and give you a better idea of what they mean in reality with respect to repayments

thanks.

Again, very high level, if I was to get a mortgage of 300,000 euro, at the end of the day roughly how much am I paying back with everything included, will it be roughly 500,000 ?

thanks.

Again, very high level, if I was to get a mortgage of 300,000 euro, at the end of the day roughly how much am I paying back with everything included, will it be roughly 500,000 ?

Depends on the interest rate and the term. But I wouldn't expect much, if any, change out of 500k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

thanks.

http://www.mortgages.ie will give you an indication of the repayments .... no affiliation

Depends on the interest rate and the term. But I wouldn't expect much, if any, change out of 500k.

very expensive, one of my friends got a 700,000 mortgage lately, he must me mad !!

very expensive, one of my friends got a 700,000 mortgage lately, he must me mad !!

The level of repayments is far more relevant than the total that you have to pay back.

The level of repayments is far more relevant than the total that you have to pay back.

indeed.

but I suppose what I need to keep in my head is that if I get a loan of 300,000 for a house, I am in fact paying back a loan of roughly 500,000

That really is high level !

indeed.

but I suppose what I need to keep in my head is that if I get a loan of 300,000 for a house, I am in fact paying back a loan of roughly 500,000

Not really.

What you need to keep in mind is what a 300k mortgage over X years will mean in terms of repayments because that's the only way you'll be able to gauge whether it's too much or not. You compare potential repayments wioth income and expenditure and particularly rent that you may be paying at the minute.

indeed.

time value of money .... its not that bad

• Advertisement

time value of money .... its not that bad

indeed, but I still think basic houses especially in Dublin are way overpriced. but suppose its all about the 3 L's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends on how long you take to pay it back, and your interest rate of course. Overpay when you can is the trick to mortgages.

300,000 @ 4.2% over 30 years = repayment total of €528,138.00. Monthly repayment €1,467.05
    300,000 @ 4.2% over 25 years = repayment total of €485,049.00. Monthly replayment €1,616.83
    300,000 @ 4.2% over 20 years = repayment total of €443,930.40. Monthly repayment €1,849.71

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends on how long you take to pay it back, and your interest rate of course. Overpay when you can is the trick to mortgages.

300,000 @ 4.2% over 30 years = repayment total of €528,138.00. Monthly repayment €1,467.05
    300,000 @ 4.2% over 25 years = repayment total of €485,049.00. Monthly replayment €1,616.83
    300,000 @ 4.2% over 20 years = repayment total of €443,930.40. Monthly repayment €1,849.71

Thanks great example, and just the high level kinda stuff im looking for to get my head round things

MouseTail wrote: »
    Trackers are no longer available and haven't been for some time.

Thanks. What do you mean by some time - How long you talking about like ?

Do you remember the "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is " adverts ....?

That long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Withdrawn since about 2009.

Grand
    So essentially only 2 types of mortgage now yeah. Fixed and variable rate or is there something else that I am blissfully unaware of ?

Also might be different rates in each depending on what you are borrowing compared to the value of the house .. Less than 80% would have a better interest rate

Is a mortgage broker essentially a person that goes off to all the banks and lending institutions and gets the best mortgage that he can for you ?

How much roughly does this service cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Is a mortgage broker essentially a person that goes off to all the banks and lending institutions and gets the best mortgage that he can for you ?

How much roughly does this service cost ?

Should be free.

Advertisement