Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs etc - Landlord or Tenant responsibilty?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all

I've been in my place for getting on 7 years now. It's a furnished property.

In that time all we've asked for is a new settee as the one in place was done in - we got two second hand ones and almost 5 years on they are gone. The paintwork was redone about 4 years ago but that was at the insistence of the landlord.

Now there are a whole laundry list of things to be done ranging from a faulty light outside the house to the exterior needing some repainting and new linoleum in the kitchen (its cracked, dirty and doesn't fit).

I've said I'll get a gardener/handman in to do gutters etc but there is a porch light that needs repairing, paintwork done (black marks on the ceiling caused by the house having no ventilation etc) and a few minor tweaks.

Basically, what are my rights here as a tenant ? The landlord has said that everything is my responsiblity but Threshold tend to disagree.

I'm worried they can kick me out for not being clean and tidy and repairing the wear and tear of the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You are responsible for cleaning, you are not responsible for maintenance.

When something needs repair, you should be contacting the LL immediately to get it fixed, not letting a list build up.

If you find that the LL does not fix things, you should be putting it in writing to him, and keeping a copy so you have evidence of reporting it.

But you need to be realistic, too. Eg it is not your call to say when exterior painting needs to be done. Property owners apply different standards, depending on where the building / property is in their investment lifecycle.

Personally, as a LL, I want me (or my agent) to know ASAP when things break. And I also want to be doing maintenance every year, not just at change-of-tenancy, so that I get the tax-credit for doing it in that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

You are responsible for cleaning, you are not responsible for maintenance.

When something needs repair, you should be contacting the LL immediately to get it fixed, not letting a list build up.

If you find that the LL does not fix things, you should be putting it in writing to him, and keeping a copy so you have evidence of reporting it.

But you need to be realistic, too. Eg it is not your call to say when exterior painting needs to be done. Property owners apply different standards, depending on where the building / property is in their investment lifecycle.

Personally, as a LL, I want me (or my agent) to know ASAP when things break. And I also want to be doing maintenance every year, not just at change-of-tenancy, so that I get the tax-credit for doing it in that year.

Hi that is actually great to hear, basically i thought that - also about the paint I'm not bothered but i thought the landlord might want it spruced up!

I've actually told them about most of them back at the last inspection in March but he didnt do anything, he did say he'd send me a letter with things he thought i should be doing but it never arrived.

I thought saying that repairing a light fitting outside the house was my job was a bit much!

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can change a bulb, that's about it. Any electrical work needs to be done by a qualified electrician.

You can change a bulb, that's about it. Any electrical work needs to be done by a qualified electrician.

Not strictly true.

Your, or a handy-person-type, can change things that don't involve changes to circuits.

The registered electrician comes in if changes to circuits are needed.

AFAIK.

Not strictly true.

Your, or a handy-person-type, can change things that don't involve changes to circuits.

The registered electrician comes in if changes to circuits are needed.

AFAIK.

I think if its not a bulb or a fuse you need a qualified person these days.

• Advertisement

I think if its not a bulb or a fuse you need a qualified person these days.

Like I said, not quite true: http://www.reci.ie/LatestNews/NewsItems/tabid/108/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/20/Restricted-Electrical-Works-Decision-Paper.aspx

Minor works involves various things that don't require changes to circuits, eg replacing light fittings.

Like I said, not quite true: http://www.reci.ie/LatestNews/NewsItems/tabid/108/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/20/Restricted-Electrical-Works-Decision-Paper.aspx

Minor works involves various things that don't require changes to circuits, eg replacing light fittings.

Thats not quite the same thing as what tenants are expected to do. A tenant is not expected to replace electrical fittings in most cases.

edit: i am probably incorrect about a qualified sparks being required in all cases, but as far as tenants go they can't be expected to do much more than i outlined above.

edit: i am probably incorrect about a qualified sparks being required in all cases, but as far as tenants go they can't be expected to do much more than i outlined above.

And on that point, we totally agree. Tenant does light bulbs, definitely, and fuses most times, especially if they're circuit breakers. As a tenant here I wouldn't touch an old fashioned fuse with wire (I don't have the tools), but I haven't seen any of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

And on that point, we totally agree. Tenant does light bulbs, definitely, and fuses most times, especially if they're circuit breakers. As a tenant here I wouldn't touch an old fashioned fuse with wire (I don't have the tools), but I haven't seen any of them either.

Had to do one of these for the first time recently in my own flat. First time I've lived somewhere with them. Granted, I'm an engineer and have the tools to do it as well as the experience with fiddly jobs like that. I had to show my girlfriend how it was done as she had left it for a couple of days while I was travelling for work.

It's not difficult, but because it's different and people aren't used to them I'd expect most people would be scared of going near it.

Advertisement