Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rust stains on patio

• 05-11-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm struggling to get rust stains from the kids bikes off the patio. any suggestions....i've tried elbow grease!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'd be interested in learning this too as I've tried everything to get rust stains off mine. The patio cleaner doesn't seem to work and nor does a powerful power hose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I googled it extensively this summer where we had an ugly rust blob on the good stone slab (from a metal bin.)
    Found this old-fashioned-sounding advice which ACTUALLY WORKED!!!
    Expose to sunlight, rub the rust stain with lemon juice: I quartered a lemon and scrubbed with the pulp of each quarter
    Let dry in sunlight, repeat.
    I did this during the heatwave and it was the first thing I've tried that DID work.
    Don't know if the sunshine is essential. I washed the place with water between some of the scrubbings because the lemon pulp was getting sticky. Then air dry, and more lemon.

Maybe vinegar would work too, it is also a strong acid.

When it's gone - took a couple of days - wash down with mild soap solution to neutralise the acid.

Advertisement