Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a stove to have a back boiler

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi I have a small stove in my living room and was just wondering if anyone would have any idea how much it would cost for someone to hook it up so that it heats my radiators and water - I live in a cottage so quite a small area thanks in advance for any replies!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

You're not gonna get an answer to that question easily. You'll need to get a plumber to go and price the job.

There's much to consider. Is the current stove a boiler stove? I.e. does it have the capabilities to heat water, it must have a back boiler already built in. If not you'll firstly need a new stove. Secondly is your hot water cylinder capable of taking such a system. You'll need an indirect cylinder, to accommodate the return and flow pipes. If your current system isn't set up for this, you'll need both a new boiler stove and a new cylinder, then all the fittings and fixtures .i.e. pipes, pump, thermostats. The work itself shouldn't be to expensive, and should be done in a maximum of two days. It will depend on ease of pipe runs, and the plumber himself.

As I said you won't get an actually answer on here. Plumber by trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Paris09

Thanks for all that information trobbin sounds like it could be a big job and big money too!!

trobbin wrote: »
    You're not gonna get an answer to that question easily. You'll need to get a plumber to go and price the job.

There's much to consider. Is the current stove a boiler stove? I.e. does it have the capabilities to heat water, it must have a back boiler already built in. If not you'll firstly need a new stove. Secondly is your hot water cylinder capable of taking such a system. You'll need an indirect cylinder, to accommodate the return and flow pipes. If your current system isn't set up for this, you'll need both a new boiler stove and a new cylinder, then all the fittings and fixtures .i.e. pipes, pump, thermostats. The work itself shouldn't be to expensive, and should be done in a maximum of two days. It will depend on ease of pipe runs, and the plumber himself.

As I said you won't get an actually answer on here. Plumber by trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

It's not necessarily a big job. As I said, you'll need a trades man to price the job, as you won't/can't get an accurate price without someone seeing the job, and knowing what/if you need new equipment.

Tell me the make and model of your stove and I will tell you if it's a boiler stove, or even better just google it. If it's not for heating water a good stove will cost at least €1500. The cheap ones aren't worth buying.

Advertisement