Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending Renovating Hip Roof Bungalow

Options
  • 05-11-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi - I have a typical 1980's hip roof bungalow approx 1,100 sqft on a large rural site, Ideally I would like to double the size along with upgrading existing windows & insulation and change layout of rooms.

What is the most cost effective way of extending - ie building up or out - I would imagine creating a dormer would be the cheapest option but would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar.

The existing roof height is quite low so is not suitable for roof conversation using existing roof.

Also - would it be possible to do this with a max all in budget of 120k in south county Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

dunderrow wrote: »
    Hi - I have a typical 1980's hip roof bungalow approx 1,100 sqft on a large rural site, Ideally I would like to double the size along with upgrading existing windows & insulation and change layout of rooms.

What is the most cost effective way of extending - ie building up or out - I would imagine creating a dormer would be the cheapest option but would love to hear from anyone who has done something similar.

The existing roof height is quite low so is not suitable for roof conversation using existing roof.

Also - would it be possible to do this with a max all in budget of 120k in south county Cork?

Hi we are in a similar position with a seventies hip bungalow. We have decided to build a,separate two story extension linked by a glass entrance. The new house will have a living block and a sleeping block. We got an architect and I would advise you yo do the same. our budget was similar to yours but we,are requiring to borrow further.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dunderrow

Hi Selfbuilder - thanks for replying.

I did engage an architect who came back with drawings which he estimated would cost €160k after I said our budget was 100k not including interior fit or any painting, he then came back with another plan building at 90 degrees through the original structure at a cost of €120k not including interior fit or painting - I suggested that this design ate into the original house space too much and it included a new roof on the original structure which didn't add anything to the house except cost.

I suggested he could have created more space upstairs with a simple dormer - I asked him to have another look at it but he hasn't come back to me in several months so assume he is not interested in pursuing further.

Was it more cost effective to build a separate structure with glass link? In my imagination had thought about this in terms of a modular structure which would be attractive as you could work on one building at a time and obviously the build time is much quicker.

I understand if you don't want to share but would be most interested to see what design you came up with.

dunderrow wrote: »
    Hi Selfbuilder - thanks for replying.

I did engage an architect who came back with drawings which he estimated would cost €160k after I said our budget was 100k not including interior fit or any painting, he then came back with another plan building at 90 degrees through the original structure at a cost of €120k not including interior fit or painting - I suggested that this design ate into the original house space too much and it included a new roof on the original structure which didn't add anything to the house except cost.

I suggested he could have created more space upstairs with a simple dormer - I asked him to have another look at it but he hasn't come back to me in several months so assume he is not interested in pursuing further.

Was it more cost effective to build a separate structure with glass link? In my imagination had thought about this in terms of a modular structure which would be attractive as you could work on one building at a time and obviously the build time is much quicker.

I understand if you don't want to share but would be most interested to see what design you came up with.

Hi dunderrow,

We were unable to go up due to the nature of our bungalow, It is tImber frame. we are building a t shape to get the best of the sunlight. We also have a large site which the extension fills well. Our house will be. Almost 3000 square feet 3 times our small bungalow. We love our,architects plans hence having to increase our mortgage which is the hold up with our build. Our budget after the tender process doubled. we were also going to self build starting last Feb but now we are employing a builder. Good luck whatever you decide. There is,a TV programme 'double your house for half the money ' I Think it is Sarah beeny, they do lots of attic conversions.

I should also add we are going for a curved barn roof structure to maximise space.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dunderrow

Sounds great - thanks for the information Selfbuilder

• Advertisement
Advertisement