Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redownloading my windows

• 05-11-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I have just purchased a new laptop,its a refurbished one and comes with windows 7,I really don't want to have to use another windows computer and am going to put Ubuntu on it and delete windows. But I want to have the option of legally reinstalling the copy of win7 that came with it should I want to sell it again or if I absolutely need windows to run some specific program. How can I do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There should be a sticker somewhere on the machine with the product key. If there isnt, you should be able to retrieve the product key by running something like this in Windows:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Nirsoft will do it too as well as product keys for any other installed programs.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

EDIT: If you need an .iso (legally) of windows, you can get it from here.

http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

Be sure you know which version to download (home / professional, 32 or 64 bit etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

And all I need is that product key?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

mp22 wrote: »

I basically am a paranoid person and don't want to delete my windows until I'm absolutely sure that I can put it back on again should the need ever arise
    I'm aware I can do this dual boot but to be honest I don't see any need at all. I have everything I'll ever need on Ubuntu ,I already use all the Linux programs on my old laptop anyway instead of the Microsoft ones. I was hoping to keep the dual boot clear in case I wanted it for something else

• Advertisement

EmcD123 wrote: »
    I basically am a paranoid person and don't want to delete my windows until I'm absolutely sure that I can put it back on again should the need ever arise
    I'm aware I can do this dual boot but to be honest I don't see any need at all. I have everything I'll ever need on Ubuntu ,I already use all the Linux programs on my old laptop anyway instead of the Microsoft ones. I was hoping to keep the dual boot clear in case I wanted it for something else

Yeah all you need is the product key. Once you have that, you can reinstall Windows at any time from an ISO file that you can get from the link above - during the reinstall, you'll be asked for the product key so you enter it then. Just be careful to download the correct version of Windows i.e Home Basic Home Premium, Ultimate etc, because the product key will only work with the version of Windows that its meant for. Once you have the product key you can just work away and install Ubuntu with peace of mind.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Yeah all you need is the product key. Once you have that, you can reinstall Windows at any time from an ISO file that you can get from the link above - during the reinstall, you'll be asked for the product key so you enter it then. Just be careful to download the correct version of Windows i.e Home Basic Home Premium, Ultimate etc, because the product key will only work with the version of Windows that its meant for. Once you have the product key you can just work away and install Ubuntu with peace of mind.

Thanks for that. I needed the clarification

Thanks for that. I needed the clarification

Sure. May I recommend Kubuntu if you're looking for a really nice Linux distro. Discovered the KDE desktop environment a while ago and absolutely love it. So customizable and easy to use. :)

Kubuntu is not ones I've looked at yet. So I'll check that out. I basically only looked at Ubuntu and mint.

Kubuntu is not ones I've looked at yet. So I'll check that out. I basically only looked at Ubuntu and mint.

Both good choices. Mint and the Ubuntu family of operating systems are all based on Ubuntu but with different desktop environments to suit newer or older hardware. Lots of exploring out there to do :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement