Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a router installed in my room?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I live with 7 others in a house in cork city, we have UPC but the connections never good and we're having some problems with it but that's beside the point, what I want to know is, if I got my own UPC, a separate contract from the one my landlord has with them, would it be possible for the router and everything to be set up in my room (3rd floor)?

I know some of you will probably suggest wifi boosters or extenders but I would really prefer a wired connection from the router directly to my pc as I want the best ping possible for online gaming.

So is this doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Jaayylol wrote: »
    I live with 7 others in a house in cork city, we have UPC but the connections never good and we're having some problems with it but that's beside the point, what I want to know is, if I got my own UPC, a separate contract from the one my landlord has with them, would it be possible for the router and everything to be set up in my room (3rd floor)?

I know some of you will probably suggest wifi boosters or extenders but I would really prefer a wired connection from the router directly to my pc as I want the best ping possible for online gaming.

So is this doable?

So is this doable?

No reason why it wouldn't be doable.

Just give an address like 15A, street name.

Note that if there is any congestion on UPC in your area you'll have the same issue on the new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

i asked UPC about this before.

They told me no, that you can't have 2 routers at the one address.

" Hi Chris, it is not possible to use two modems at the same address. You can move your current modem to any of these points within your house, Thanks, Lindsey"

I have two UPC points in my house, which is why i asked.

If you want a wired connection, closest thing you could do is a Power over Ethernet adapter. Dlink have some good ones, and not too dear.

*****EDIT******

After rereading your post about 4 times, it clicked that you were asking about a separate contract. Not sure how i didn't get that.

Might be different in your case, they'd need to wire in a separate connection I'd say. No harm in asking them :D Ask them on twitter, they're lightning fast to reply there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Just run a cat6 cable up to your room

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jaayylol

I don't want to have my router downstairs because there's often a lot of people drinking in the same room and we've had problems with people knocking things or spilling drinks before.

@Truedoom was it just another router for the same connection or what?

Any more help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Run ethernet to your room
    2. Put a fan on the modem if its a cisco unit(seriously)

You cant have two modems on the same tap, and Im not sure UPC will fit a 2nd tap for a residential premises. Also would your landlord let them drill the walls?

• Advertisement

I don't want to have my router downstairs because there's often a lot of people drinking in the same room and we've had problems with people knocking things or spilling drinks before.

@Truedoom was it just another router for the same connection or what?

I was thinking as much truedoom :P would the wiring be a big job? thanks.

Any more help would be great

ED E wrote: »
    1. Run ethernet to your room
    2. Put a fan on the modem if its a cisco unit(seriously)

You cant have two modems on the same tap, and Im not sure UPC will fit a 2nd tap for a residential premises. Also would your landlord let them drill the walls?

Probably asking a lot of stupid questions but how would I go about running an ethernet cable up to the 3rd floor? I'm not sure if the landlord would, I could ask :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Probably asking a lot of stupid questions but how would I go about running an ethernet cable up to the 3rd floor? I'm not sure if the landlord would, I could ask :P
    Powerline adapters, assuming its all the same house on the same RCD. Cheap as chips in Argos:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1397640/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

Get the poweline adapters. Here are my speeds and ping over them:

3885950841.png109954594.png

Here are my normal speeds and ping over Ethernet:

3885945052.png109954795.png

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'm gonna get a powerline adapter and run a cat5e cable up to my room as UPC came yesterday and fixed some stuff with our current connection.

Can anyone recommend a good long cat5e cable? This will have to go up 3 flights of stairs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'm gonna get a powerline adapter and run a cat5e cable up to my room as UPC came yesterday and fixed some stuff with our current connection.

Can anyone recommend a good long cat5e cable? This will have to go up 3 flights of stairs!

The idea of powerline adapters is that you don't need to run long cables.

You would plug one in beside the UPC router and the other beside your PC.

The idea of powerline adapters is that you don't need to run long cables.

You would plug one in beside the UPC router and the other beside your PC.

I'm so confused, so how do they work?

OSI wrote: »
    You plug an ethernet cable into your modem and the powerline adaptor in the nearest wall socket (not extension lead socket), and then plug a powerline adaptor into the nearest wall socket to your PC and run an ethernet cable from it, to your PC. The powerline adaptors take the signals from the ethernet cables and transmit it over your power lines through your house to each other.

Thanks very much :) and another stupid question if you don't mind. Does it matter if the Ethernet cable I use is cat5e or anything?

Thanks OSI and everyone else who helped me, first time using boards but everyone seems to be really friendly and helpful (Y).

I think i'm gonna get "TP-LINK 500Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack" from argos.

(Can't link because new user)

if anyone has any better recommendations for an adapter id be happy to hear them.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks OSI and everyone else who helped me, first time using boards but everyone seems to be really friendly and helpful (Y).

I think i'm gonna get "TP-LINK 500Mbps Nano Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack" from argos.

(Can't link because new user)

if anyone has any better recommendations for an adapter id be happy to hear them.

:)

They're exactly what you need. Ive used several sets in different premises all working well.

Just be aware that pretty much all models of homeplugs right now have 10/100 Ports, that means that you'll only get 80-95Mbps through them at best, but thats normal for homeplugs. Should be PLENTY for gaming or streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OSI wrote: »
    Well this is untrue. Our friend moved in with us, we already had UPC and he still had 2 months left on his contract, so he hooked up his modem to the point his bedroom, and we kept ours running off the point in the sitting room and they both worked away happily.

I have two running in my house at the moment. You can split the line internally or get a second line from the tap outside if you pay for it.

Advertisement