Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House / apartment renting scam

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey Guy

I have came across of house rental scam. I havent made any payment yet but i have looked in to it, also have spoke to the Gards about that.

Basically in short they will convience you by providing false ID, they are the real owner of the house they are living abroad , they would like to rent property through agent in my case was immoasset10.com which was security party like paypal but the site is not legit even. Will ask you for transfering money abroad online becarefull..!!!!!!!!!!!

I tied to find out last night after exchanging couple of emails. From the scamer!!!! I have tried to look couldn't find any thing in boards.ie so i decided to put this up . But i did find some irish new pappers regarding that , also google it

Thanks keep the city safe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Friend of mine has just encountered this, sent them rent a few days ago, was told they'd get keys yesterday and hasn't heard anything since. Took money from their account and no contact since apart from an email which she says "looked like computer code" - will post that here when she's forwarded it. Anyone else got any more info? They're out €1,800 and are pretty freaked, any further intel would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Friend of mine has just encountered this, sent them rent a few days ago, was told they'd get keys yesterday and hasn't heard anything since. Took money from their account and no contact since apart from an email which she says "looked like computer code" - will post that here when she's forwarded it. Anyone else got any more info? They're out €1,800 and are pretty freaked, any further intel would be appreciated.

How does the scam work? Did an agent show them inside the property? Can't imagine someone paying money without seeing the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This is not a new scam, it's been around for years. IMO anyone who exchanges money without meeting an agent/landlord in the property for a viewing/execution of a lease/provision of keys should not be allowed outside without supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This is not a new scam, it's been around for years. IMO anyone who exchanges money without meeting an agent/landlord in the property for a viewing/execution of a lease/provision of keys should not be allowed outside without supervision.

Even keys there's scams. Basically they rent apartment, then advertise it for rent, take numerous booking deposits and first months rent from different people and leg it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rain Aly

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How does the scam work? Did an agent show them inside the property? Can't imagine someone paying money without seeing the inside.

Basically in some cases they have even showed an apartment to couple of ppl and after deposit they got same moving date as others , then got to knew keys aren't working, there were many other people were there too , including one irish women and Brazilian student . I found that news online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rain Aly

Well in my case there was a guy, from England , he also provided me his id as passport scanned copy by saying that you should know whom you are dealing with. But i believed thats not his ID may be he found it or he scammed other guy and got his passport copy too .

I can email that passport copy and that name thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

ted1 wrote: »
    Even keys there's scams. Basically they rent apartment, then advertise it for rent, take numerous booking deposits and first months rent from different people and leg it

Heard of something similar before at an apartment viewing. Guy shows up, offers 1 months deposit and 1 months rent slightly above asking up front on the spot. Landlord - delighted to get above asking - accepts and doesn't bother following up with any references or anything. Guy moves in for a week, relists the add at slightly below market value and takes a couple of deposits a day for the week, then disappears once the people who submitted deposits start getting pushy about wanting to conclude the tenancy agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Always reverse google image the pictures.
    Invariably, they'll be froms ads in places like Florida or Barcelona.
    A quick one is check the plug outlets if they are visible in the photos.

Advertisement