Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toy recommendation

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,
    We are thinking of getting our little man a workbench for Christmas and I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend one.

He'll be 18 months by Christmas so I'm concerned that a lot if them look to be a bit too complicated for that age group.

I think he would prefer a kitchen tbh, but his dad is quite set on a tool workbench!

Grateful for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

share bear wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are thinking of getting our little man a workbench for Christmas and I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend one.

He'll be 18 months by Christmas so I'm concerned that a lot if them look to be a bit too complicated for that age group.

I think he would prefer a kitchen tbh, but his dad is quite set on a tool workbench!

Grateful for any suggestions.

I was thinking a work bench aswel for our little fella, he will be 21months at Xmas but i haven't seeing anything that i think is suitable for him, so we're going to go with the kitchen. We were in Ikea recently and he spent ages playing with the little kitchen there. It was great seeing him use his little imagination, pretending to wash the pots and putting them away etc. i think my little fella will get much more use out of the kitchen and will hopefully encourage him to say please and thank you more often too :) .
    OHHHHH i cant wait for xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

A kitchen is great I alwaywith find them a great hit

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We got an awesome work bench for the little girl that only wanted a screwdriver from Santa:) She was 2 going 3 at the time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Melissa-Doug-Wooden-Project-Workbench/dp/B0073BVQSE/ref=sr_1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1415213974&sr=1-2&keywords=workbench

The 5,3 and 1 year olds love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭ariana`

We got our oldest lad a kitchen at that age, child's father took some convincing, and even he now admits it was one of the best thing we ever bought. He's nearly 5 now and his brother his 2 and it gets played with daily still by one or other or both of them. They've gotten more saucepan sets and artifical food sets and they regularly raid my kitchen for real spatulas and so on as well. Hours of fun.

We have lots of toolsets/workbench type things as well but i think i'd push for the kitchen if i was you. The IKEA kitchen is lovely and very sturdy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

We too looked at the ikea wooden kitchen and in the end got the http://www.mothercare.ie/little-cook-039-s-kitchen.html last christmas for our then 3 & 2 year olds.

It's great as it's double sided so both can play without getting in each others way and the 2 side pull out as little tables for them to set. (Got 2 "milking" stools in ikea for them to sit at it with and of course aprons!!!1)

Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We too looked at the ikea wooden kitchen and in the end got the http://www.mothercare.ie/little-cook-039-s-kitchen.html last christmas for our then 3 & 2 year olds.

It's great as it's double sided so both can play without getting in each others way and the 2 side pull out as little tables for them to set. (Got 2 "milking" stools in ikea for them to sit at it with and of course aprons!!!1)

Highly recommend.

My kids had it and it lasted about 6 months as one of their friends(2) wrecked it,the Ikea one was well able to withstand him though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My kids had it and it lasted about 6 months as one of their friends(2) wrecked it,the Ikea one was well able to withstand him though.

The little monkey(s) I know mine has taken some hammering as it's still in the middle of my kitchen for them to play with...I'd be raging if it got wrecked!! :mad:

I suppose we went for it because it was 50euro all in and nice and colourful, figured the ikea one might be aimed at older children.

Good to hear the ikea one is strong!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

aiden857 wrote: »
    Hatchmals are the number one Christmas toy this year and they say they are selling out very quick. I have tried smiths toy store and they aint got any, I also looked around a couple of other shops and online with no luck. But if your looking for the in toy then the hatchimal is the one to get. If any one knows where to get the please let me know as I will also get back to you guys and let you know if I can get them somewhere.

Kind Regards
    Aiden

You could try Amazon but they seem pretty pricey!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_5/256-8532541-6945240?k=hatchimal&sprefix=hatch

Toysrus.co.uk have them also, however, I think it's pick up in store only. I think all their shops have closed in Ireland (open to correction on this) but you could ring them in Uk and see if they deliver.
    http://www.toysrus.co.uk/mobile/toys/browse/brands/hatchimals/_/N-104291?Dy=1

You could also try toymaster.

Perhaps open a new thread as this one is 2 years old. You might get more replies with a fresh thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We picked up a second hand IKEA kitchen and accessories for our 15 month old boy during the summer because he was driving me nuts following me around trying do help. Honestly it was the Best Buy ever, he plays with it daily and it's usually the first thing he goes to when we arrive in after work/childminder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

aiden857 wrote: »
    Hatchmals are the number one Christmas toy this year and they say they are selling out very quick. I have tried smiths toy store and they aint got any, I also looked around a couple of other shops and online with no luck. But if your looking for the in toy then the hatchimal is the one to get. If any one knows where to get the please let me know as I will also get back to you guys and let you know if I can get them somewhere.

Kind Regards
    Aiden

Hmmm just a very helpful poster... Or something else?!!hmmmm

• Advertisement
Advertisement