Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Heron?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all new to any kind of birdwatching but interested in your views and advice. Live in Kinsale but a good mile away from the sea. We have a fishpond, well covered with a net at this time of year, and at other times with fishing line to deter herons. Last week we found a heron simply observing our fish standing at the side of the pond. Now it has taken to standing by our kitchen door and tapping on the glass with its beak. Each day it is there, sometimes for hours and sometimes for just a few minutes. If I approach it it flies off to a nearby rooftop, only to return later. The kitchen door faces due West and we have also had a few pigeons fly into it this month, must be something to do with the light at this time of year?
    I am concerned the heron my get caught up in our pond net which would be very messy. Should I attempt to deter it or accept it as a garden pet?? I would post a photo but cant as a newbie! We also have a large population of Jackdaws and Crows, wonder if the heron may deter them or just fit right in?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

oldsteel wrote: »
    Hi all new to any kind of birdwatching but interested in your views and advice. Live in Kinsale but a good mile away from the sea. We have a fishpond, well covered with a net at this time of year, and at other times with fishing line to deter herons. Last week we found a heron simply observing our fish standing at the side of the pond. Now it has taken to standing by our kitchen door and tapping on the glass with its beak. Each day it is there, sometimes for hours and sometimes for just a few minutes. If I approach it it flies off to a nearby rooftop, only to return later. The kitchen door faces due West and we have also had a few pigeons fly into it this month, must be something to do with the light at this time of year?
    I am concerned the heron my get caught up in our pond net which would be very messy. Should I attempt to deter it or accept it as a garden pet?? I would post a photo but cant as a newbie! We also have a large population of Jackdaws and Crows, wonder if the heron may deter them or just fit right in?

Could you send me the image via pm please and I could post it for you. Thoroughly enjoy watching Herons, they just fascinate me so they do.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Finright

Hi there Oldsteel,

My parents live very near to you, just a few bays along, and we hand-reared a heron a few years ago. I wrote a thread about it at the time, in this forum, called "Raising a Young Heron", you'll find it by searching.

Our heron (Ron) still hangs about the house regularly, tapping on windows and peering in at us, which sounds very much like your one. My parents feed him bycatch, kindly donated by local trawlermen.

While I'm pretty sure yours isn't the same bird (I doubt he'd fly 15km to go begging!) it does sound like he may have had human contact in the past. They are a lovely addition to the garden, very unobtrusive and fantastic to observe, however I doubt your fish will last long if he figures out how to get at them! As you'll see in my thread, they are incredible hunters! RE the crows and jackdaws, Ron ignores all the other birds in our garden, which has several well-frequented birdtables.

I also can't seem to post pics anymore! But once I figure it out I'll post a few new ones on my thread.

Good luck with the bird, and if you're feeling generous I'm sure he'd appreciated a free fishy meal with the cold weather coming, however you may make a very long-lasting friend!

Advertisement