Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 yr old needs dental treatment - possible cost €2k

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if other parents had similar dental issues with their toddlers and if so what they did.

It came as a bit of a shock when we recently discovered our 2yr 8 month old would need dental treatment. We brought him to dentist as we were concerned that he had some dental issues. Because he will not sit still/allow dentist near his mouth he will need hospital treatment, anaesthetic, some fillings, all at a ballpark €2k+

We do try to get him to brush as part of his bedtime routine. Not always possible due to tiredness and tantrums. Probably has too much juice which we need to cut out.

Has anyone been faced with having to have expensive dental treatment for their toddler? What did they do, have dental cover, had treatment privately here or abroad etc.

Im just starting to look at options so any experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I've never heard of anything like that. How on earth could a child that age need fillings, and what's the benefit when the teeth are going to fall out in a couple of years anyways? Is there some underlying health problem causing this?

I'd definitely at least get a second opinion before paying that much and putting him through all of that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Surely any work you get done now will be negated when your child loses his first set of teeth ?????? Definitely get a second opinion and having a chat with your GP might guide you as well. €2k for a child that young is indicative of you having to go down the private road. You could also enquire at the nearest HSE dental clinic. They deal with mostly young children.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op you might be better posting this on the dental forum, do you have any more info, as in why is the treatment needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

should ask to move this to the dental forum.

you're paying for the GA really. the dental work is probably a fraction of that.
    there was a program on TV a while ago about manchester dental hospital where they said each sedation session cost the NHS £700. GA is going to be more than that.

front baby teeth are lost between 5 and 7, and back baby teeth can last up to age 12-13, so they're not going to fall out in a 'couple of years'.
    early loss of baby teeth can cause issues to the way the adult teeth grow, and increase likelihood of needing braces in a lot of cases.
    however, in some cases there's no choice but to have the teeth removed.

what you need to do at home, if there's no cooperation with brushing etc is watch the diet. cut out all sugary/acidic drinks. if kids go around with bottles that they sip for ages, then that means the sugar is around the teeth for longer, so it can do more damage. this is called nursing bottle caries. milk and water are the only things they can drink. even really diluted stuff is still going to have an effect. they just have to go cold turkey and you have to stick to your guns..

for the scary bit, if the baby teeth don't get treated, they can get infected and while painful, they can also damage the developing adult tooth underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was only discussing this with my phn today: her little girl has needed a lot of dental treatment; and has spent in the region if what you've been quoted. The alternatives to fillings are to get the tooth pulled and spacers put in after otherwise you are most definitely looking at braces etc. I know both vitamin d deficiencies and lipties can affect dental health: I worry about my little girls teeth I've awful trouble with mine. I would definitely not ever go abroad for a child's teeth because of the follow up care needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Ok ok, my son was diagnosed with an enamel deficiency at that age too. The only thing the HSE would do is pull the bad teeth which would mean he would have no bite when eating. So I was referred to Abigail in the hermitage clinic which provided fantastic care for him.

I have no health insurance so paid the guts of three grand for capping on his teeth, stay in hospital, anaesthest etc.

He is now 9 and over the last few weeks the capped teeth have fallen out. Apparently the enanmel on the adult teeth is much more sturdy, so for me the decision was get his teeth pulled and have him unable to eat properly or spend the money on saving them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh gosh OP that shoulds very expensive :( can you claim back any tax on the med1 form? Or could you take a vhi (or equivalent) dental policy out now and waited the waiting period would it be worth it for you ? I think it might be a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've never heard of anything like that. How on earth could a child that age need fillings, and what's the benefit when the teeth are going to fall out in a couple of years anyways? Is there some underlying health problem causing this?

I'd definitely at least get a second opinion before paying that much and putting him through all of that ...

Damage to the baby teeth can travel down and damage the adult teeth in the gum. That's the benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

As someone who's just finished a course of fillings after some neglect and other problems I am watching my children's teeth like a hawk. My mum was advised to get me some treatment on baby teeth, she didn't think it worthwhile as they fall out and I now think this is linked to some problems I have as an adult. She was told to look after the baby teeth as much as the adult teeth, but didn't see the sense in it. I'll be going for regular checkups with mine and having small things dealt with ASAP before they turn into serious issues. I learned my lesson the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, poor little thing. I've definitely heard of that in children that age before. Juices, extended breastfeeding as a sleep aid, and giving the toddler a bottle to take to bed have been the reasons I heard for it.

A pal of mine is blaming their unflouridated well for their 4 year old losing most of her teeth, and is getting flouride tablets for their drinking water, but that can only be part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

pwurple wrote: »
    Aww, poor little thing. I've definitely heard of that in children that age before. Juices, extended breastfeeding as a sleep aid, and giving the toddler a bottle to take to bed have been the reasons I heard for it.

A pal of mine is blaming their unflouridated well for their 4 year old losing most of her teeth, and is getting flouride tablets for their drinking water, but that can only be part of it.

We had this with my eldest when he was three. He had three molars pulled under GA. He got his teeth early, I coslept and breastfed, we have unfloridated water and live on an orchard so unfettered access to fruit in the summer months. None of our other kids have this problem so I think at least part of it must be bad luck.

If you don't get the tooth pulled it can abscess which is painful and needs antibiotic treatment. This was happening when we brought him to the dental nurse who arranged for him to be taken in as an outpatient in the next few days. We live in NZ and there was no charge. I can't believe you'd be charged for this for such a young child. My son's nearly eight now and his adult teeth are coming through. It looks as though he will need orthadontal work, which was mentioned to us at the time of the extractions, as the missing teeth are not providing support and structure. At least we have been aware of this for some time and can budget accordingly.

Best of luck, op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

OP here

Many thanks for all the responses much appreciated.

I opened the thread here more for other parents experiences with their own toddlers rather than looking for dental solutions. To see if there were others in similar situation or just my toddler.:(

Yes my thoughts at first we're why bother if teeth will fall out but as many poster have said not doing anything damages the root canal and will be more costly in long run.

I'll come back and let people know what options I went for once decided - insurance, private, trip abroad.

Many thanks.

Advertisement