Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil boiler issue

• 05-11-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm having an issue with my oil burner. Let it run out of oil, got a refill, cleared the airlock worked perfectly for a day or two. Then started omitting very black smoke with a strong smell of oil, now when I turn it on it won't fire up and there's just a puff of black smoke. It keeps trying to fire up and just giving a puff of smoke. I'm unemployed at the moment so can't afford to pay someone to fix it. Has anyone got any ideas or am I going to freeze. It's a firebird silverpac c26kw and about three years old. I've gone through the posts here but can't seem to find a solution. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

its needs a service preferably by somebody that understands the issues that these boilers can have

I understand you are unemployed but this is not a diy fix imho

it will need to be stripped cleaned and a nozzle change and then set up using a flugas analyser

I presume you got a delivery of kerosene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

melonz wrote: »
    got a refill, cleared the airlock.

How did you clear the air lock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dfin

can't afford to pay someone to fix it. Has anyone got any ideas or am I going to freeze.

Do you have any electric heaters or can borrow some? Can you use the immersion to heat the water? This will take the pressure off until you can find someone

Don't use the boiler until you can get someone qualified and with an analyser and oil pressure gauge to service and set your boiler up correctly for you

Maybe you know someone that can help out? (Relative/ friend of a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 melonz

Cleared the airlock by leaving the nut open until the oil flowed. I suppose I'll have to get someone to service it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Even if you managed to get it going in the state its in at the moment, it would soon cost you the price of a service in wasted oil.

If you are really stuck for the cost of repair, there are governmental and voluntary originations out there to help.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

What area are you in and someone here might do it at a reasonable rate for you.

I'm in cork . Phoned around and a service is going to be around €100 which isn't as bad as I thought. If anyone knows someone in cork that does it I'd prefer to get someone reputable. Thanks a mill for all the help, appreciate it.

I'm in cork . Phoned around and a service is going to be around €100 which isn't as bad as I thought. If anyone knows someone in cork that does it I'd prefer to get someone reputable. Thanks a mill for all the help, appreciate it.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

PM Scudo2. You will find him here on boards. He will point you in the right direction.

go on scudo its nearly xmas and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

Mention shane0007 and he will look after you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Did you get the correct fuel? Not heating oil(diesel) instead of kerosene... Just seems strange that it should fail dramatically after the new fuel was delivered.

Wearb wrote: »
    PM Scudo2. You will find him here on boards. He will point you in the right direction.

the best direction from cork is towards limerick :P:P:P

I think it's kerosene alright. Limericks only the right direction if you're going to thomand park !!

Advertisement