Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coverting normal bottles into fliptops

Options
  • 05-11-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey Peps,

So I order some of these contraptions http://www.homebrewwest.ie/metal-strap-for-fliptop-caps-10-pcs-1802-p.asp , they are designed to turn your normal bottles into fliptops.
    Just had a quick go at putting one on last night and I nearly cut the finger off myself.
    Has anybody bought these and if so if there a knack to putting them on. I can't seem to find any info on the interweb to help me either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Tried them, gave up.

Didn't fancy cutting the finger off myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Tried them, gave up.

Didn't fancy cutting the finger off myself.

It's a one time mistake. Wrapped my fingers in sellotape. Sorted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why bother though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

loyatemu wrote: »
    why bother though?

Cause capping is a pain, and the few swingtops I have I find are much better to deal with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I have 40 of these and really like them. I'm a big fan of the pint bottle, and having swingtop pint bottles is even better. I used pliers to pull the tab through and bend into place.

The downside is that the seal isn't always 100% perfect so I tend to use them on things that I don't mind being a bit flat: porters and ciders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I got some of these too, and nearly ripped my fingers off of course.

It also seems difficult to get them to set into the right place. I would be concerned that they dont form a proper seal, even if you could get them in place with the right tools.

I have gotten used to capping, and find that I prefer the reliable seal, especially now that I tend to age a lot of beer in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I'm slowly building up my collection of proper swing tops.
    I have nearly enough now to take a whole batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

My convertibles ended up in the bin. Proper swing tops are a better investment. Last longer, no messing. No point making more work for yourself.

Advertisement