Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Rush

Options
  • 05-11-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi - myself and husband considering a move to Rush NCD. We really like the look of the village but we were wondering if it is a friendly place? Also wondering if anyone can share their experiences of commuting to city centre and whether it is torture or not??
    We are lucky in that we do not need to leave for work in the mornings until after 9am.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Silly45 wrote: »
    Hi - myself and husband considering a move to Rush NCD. We really like the look of the village but we were wondering if it is a friendly place? Also wondering if anyone can share their experiences of commuting to city centre and whether it is torture or not??
    We are lucky in that we do not need to leave for work in the mornings until after 9am.
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi there. I moved to Rush in April with my girlfriend. She is from Skerries but I'm from Celbridge in Kildare. It's a lovely place to live.

While I feel the main street is definitely in need of a face lift, the town has more than enough. Tesco is very handy and you've got a good selection of pubs/ pharmacies/ hairdressers etc

The beaches are great too. Skerries is only a short hop away and you've got more nice pubs/ restaurants and nice beaches there too.

If you are leaving after 9am I don't imagine the traffic would be too bad on the M1/N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have lived in Rush all my life and there really is something for everyone here. The shops are decent, 4 very good schools, a super theatre, sports clubs galore G.A.A. , Soccer, Cricket, Golf, sailing, Good pubs and food places to eat, and top class beachs and walks.

People are very friendly

Commuting to Dublin is fairly easy with a good bus service and trains also. Traffic is usually gone by 9. I left Rush todya at 9.05 and was in Cloughlea in Wicklow at 9.55. If your driving to city centre it will take 25 - 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Silly45

Thanks for the very positive replies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Yep, I'm a blow-in to Rush (from the Centre of the Cosmos - Skerries) and can agree with all of the positive comments here so far.

AND they don't clog up the streets and carparks with Massey Fergusons any more. Indeed, the recent "improvements" in traffic control through the town enable you to spend a lot more time in the town. In fact, I believe there is soon going to be a prize for anyone approaching the traffic lights at Tesco who can actually drive straight through before the lights turn red. And the variety in dimensions and shock from the 500,000 speed bumps in the town is truly a national treasure of random creativity. The Channel Road is now a no-go area for any wheeled vehicle - carcasses of dead vehicles, killed by the Channel Road speed bumps, are on display at local car repairers. Well worth a visit!

So hey, it might not be Skerries but it is a nice community with lots of top class local facilities. You'll find the locals to be a friendly, welcoming people......except when dealing with moany, groany Skerries people, of course!

Limps home, struggling up the hill to Loughshinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Silly45 wrote: »
    ...Also wondering if anyone can share their experiences of commuting to city centre and whether it is torture or not??!...
    Rush to O'Connell Street in 60 mins regardless of traffic or time and the bonus of free parking and always guaranteed a seat (....on my bike! ;))

• Advertisement

Rush to O'Connell Street in 60 mins regardless of traffic or time and the bonus of free parking and always guaranteed a seat (....on my bike! ;))

Ah you cycle in?

Once its not Rush hour I would reverse in an hour and I dont drive fast. 40 Minutes max to be parked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

From rush myself, so...

Ordinary bus takes over an hour to get into city centre, very slow and painful, avoid if possible. 33x goes through the port tunnel monday through Friday between 7 and 8.10 and back between 4.15 and 6 and takes about 35mins each way. Train in Rush and Lusk station at 9.04 each morning, get into town by 9.35ish. If you don't drive you will either walk, cycle or time the bus out to the train station, loads of morning trains.
    There is a local taxi service that I use all the time.

Tesco is a God send to Rush. People are nice. Say hi to passer bys they say hello back.

The main st looks a bit meh but that's due to the winter weather, in the summer rush is beautiful, 2 beaches. Loads of bars, nice for pints or food. And Skerries down the road for your fancy foods too. Good doctors and dentists here.

Nice area, people are nice, not many problems at all with 'youth's' an stuff like that.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

It's a great place to live, beaches are beautiful, lots of local clubs, most people will salute you if you meet them, transport by rail or 33x very good, all positive in my opinion, may be slightly biased-have lived in Rush all my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Asia

Hello,
    Brookford Lane in Rush was affected by the pyrite issue please? Agent said the houses are pyrite free. Also what's the parking like at Rush Lusk train station in the morning? Is there any bus going to city center please? Anthing else I should be aware of please?
    Thanks a lot for all the advices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Asia wrote: »
    Hello,
    Brookford Lane in Rush was affected by the pyrite issue please? Agent said the houses are pyrite free. Also what's the parking like at Rush Lusk train station in the morning? Is there any bus going to city center please? Anthing else I should be aware of please?

Not sure about pyrite in Brookford.

You should get parked at the train station, but unless you're early you'll probably need to park on the Lusk side and cross back over the tracks for heading into town.

33x bus goes into town via the port tunnel in the mornings, the last one passes through the main Street about 8.10am, arriving at the convention Centre for around 9am.

Fingal Express also offer a service, but it's earlier again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Hello,

Hi
    We have a house in Brookford and yes it has pyrite , widespread unfortunately in the Brookford estate ( can’t speak for any other estates on Brookford lane)
    Know of at least 6 other houses that are effected .
    If you’re worried and have identified a house you like the get it surveyed to be sure . Just to note - to get a 100% guarantee that there is no pyrite in the House involves drilling a core sample from the floor slab - not cheap. The sample is tested in a lab and the level calculated . A visual test (around €500) won’t conclusively rule out pyrite . Also be aware banks won’t entertain a mortgage on a property that even has a whiff of suspicion of pyrite .
    As regards living in rush .. great spot . Was born there and went to school there , now live close by and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. People are salt of the earth and Rush is way undervalued in my opinion . Unfortunately we are always overlooked in terms of funding by FCC in favour of places like skerries ...sigh..

shooter69 wrote: »
    Hi
    We have a house in Brookford and yes it has pyrite , widespread unfortunately in the Brookford estate ( can’t speak for any other estates on Brookford lane)
    If you’re worried and have identified a house you like the get it surveyed to be sure . Just to note - to get a 100% guarantee that there is no pyrite in the House involves drilling a core sample from the floor slab - not cheap. The sample is tested in a lab and the level calculated . A visual test (around €500) won’t conclusively rule out pyrite . Also be aware banks won’t entertain a mortgage on a property that even has a whiff of suspicion of pyrite .
    As regards living in rush .. great spot . Was born there and went to school there , now live close by and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it. People are salt of the earth and Rush is way undervalued in my opinion . Unfortunately we are always overlooked in terms of funding by FCC in favour of places like skerries ...sigh..

Thank you so much shooter69, this is very valuable feedback. Well, we have done the survey but did not came with pyrite. But as you are saying this is only visual test… I checked and got the quotation for pyrite: sampling, analysis & report is about 3300 eur..
    now I am thinking Bank won’t give us mortgage as Bank valuator told me on the phone today this estate in Rush is known for pyrite :(
    Yes, it is really beautiful village, we really like it.. Thanks again for your help

Thank you so much shooter69, this is very valuable feedback. Well, we have done the survey but did not came with pyrite. But as you are saying this is only visual test… I checked and got the quotation for pyrite: sampling, analysis & report is about 3300 eur..
    now I am thinking Bank won’t give us mortgage as Bank valuator told me on the phone today this estate in Rush is known for pyrite :(
    Yes, it is really beautiful village, we really like it.. Thanks again for your help

Best of luck whatever you decide , Rush is only going upwards in my opinion . Did you check out other houses for sale ? New estate in progress just off Brookford lane ( on way to st maurs gaa complex). Not sure if they are released for sale yet . Also Garda station due to be reopened and new shopping development due to start on Main Street soon , all these things contributing to enhance the area even more and no doubt house prices will reflect this as time progresses ..anyway best of luck with your house hunting ! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes, it is really beautiful village, we really like it.. Thanks again for yo

Would the previous owner not have to pay the €3300 fee to get the house tested for Pyrite if of course they wanted it sold. I presumed it was around €500 for a test.

billyhead wrote: »
    Yes, it is really beautiful village, we really like it.. Thanks again for yo

Would the previous owner not have to pay the €3300 fee to get the house tested for Pyrite if of course they wanted it sold. I presumed it was around €500 for a test.

€500 only pays for a visual assessment which isn’t definitive , banks won’t offer a mortgage unless the core sample is done (circa €3300) . Yes you would presume the owner would pay for the test but it’s a grey area . The whole pyrite issue is a disaster where hundreds of houses are unable to be sold because of pyrite and there is a shortage of housing ! I can see a decision having to be made by the government where lower level pyrite is accepted as “normal “ and are allowed to be mortgaged and severe cases will need remediation works . Our old house is 12 years old and doesn’t show any obvious signs of pyrite yet the surveyor has deemed the level “severe”. My gut tells me they put this on all houses they survey as it still needs to independently surveyed by the pyrite board...only time will tell . In the meantime we have it rented out without issue .

Hello again
    What about St Catherines estate in Rush please? Is it also affected by the pyrite issue please?
    Thank you.
    shooter69 wrote: »
    Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hello again
    What about St Catherines estate in Rush please? Is it also affected by the pyrite issue please?
    Thank you.
    St Catherine's was built in the 1970's - long before pyrite became a problem. I've never heard of it there. It usually associated with houses constructed in the past 15 years or so.

St Catherine's was built in the 1970's - long before pyrite became a problem. I've never heard of it there. It usually associated with houses constructed in the past 15 years or so.

As above yes st Catherine’s wouldn’t have any pyrite issues , know quite a few people from there and no issues , most council houses are/were well built. Most would qualify for insulation grants

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gabbiano

Hello

What's about Woodland Court Rush the 3 buildings? Are they affected by pyrite please?

Thank you

Not any issues in Woodland court which is a nice little development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gabbiano

Thanks a lot

I'm bidding for an apartment there.

Advertisement