Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Cost

Options
  • 05-11-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi

I am trying to get idea of cost before I get builders in to give quotes.

I am planning an 40sqm extension to the rear of my house for a new kitchen living area.

I would be looking for essentially a builders finish which I understand can mean different things. I plan to organise electrics, flooring and all windows and doors separately to builders quote. Kitchen is also to be excluded.

I want a price for the roofed structure ( insulated), plastered, plumbed for kitchen. Is €80 per sqf realistic for this? Should it be more/less?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is €80 per sqf realistic for this? Should it be more/less?

For a house extension I would be budget, at a starting point, more like €120 / ft.sq. to 'builders finish' (whatever that really means).

Also really depends....what part of the country you are in, how complex/simple the extension is to be, the detail of the connection between the extension and existing house (i.e. structural works forming opes), access to the site to build the extension, etc., etc.

So, all in all hard to give any sort of accurate cost/ballpark per ft.sq.!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi

I am trying to get idea of cost before I get builders in to give quotes.

I am planning an 40sqm extension to the rear of my house for a new kitchen living area.

I would be looking for essentially a builders finish which I understand can mean different things. I plan to organise electrics, flooring and all windows and doors separately to builders quote. Kitchen is also to be excluded.

I want a price for the roofed structure ( insulated), plastered, plumbed for kitchen. Is €80 per sqf realistic for this? Should it be more/less?

Thanks

€80 too low, even for basic builders finish and ready for paint/tiles.
    where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭themoneyguy

Bases in Dublin South

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Bases in Dublin South

Well then you can forget about €80/ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Bases in Dublin South

Get someone in to give you a proper quote on it. Get at least 3 - 4 builders in with good references etc. You will more than likely notice a difference in each ones price and it may be even considerable.

I would say that @ 40sqm 1000 per sq meter to 1200 per square is reachable. But as someone here as said "whats a builders finish". If you are going to do flooring,tiling painting yourself you could save a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Is €80 per sqf realistic for this?

Thanks

No. Especially on extensions, the cost per sq ft will be more substantial depending on tie in finishes, layout and the likes. I am working with developers on multi unit housing estates and they are struggling on an average across the estates to keep it below €90/sq ft (excl VAT) and thats using economies of scale. That is for a standard developer finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

kkelliher wrote: »
    No. Especially on extensions, the cost per sq ft will be more substantial depending on tie in finishes, layout and the likes. I am working with developers on multi unit housing estates and they are struggling on an average across the estates to keep it below €90/sq ft (excl VAT) and thats using economies of scale. That is for a standard developer finish.

Sounds about right that.

One question lads,

How much does adding a second story to your extension cost in reality?

Advertisement