Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customers of Electric Ireland to get free Nest thermostats

Options
  • 05-11-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭

Customers of Electric Ireland to get free Nest thermostats
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/electric-ireland-does-a-deal-with-nest-at-web-summit-1.1989069

But there is a catch:
    From November 12th, new Electric Ireland customers who sign up to a two-year electricity price plan can receive the Nest Learning Thermostat and installation at no cost. Existing customers can get a Nest Thermostat and installation for just € 99.

We will have to leave Electric Ireland first, time to sign up with one of the competition for a year...

Well Reps, what can you do for us?
    Has marketing shot you in the foot?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Tow,

Yes, Electric Ireland is delighted to team up with Nest, as announced by Nest CEO Tony Fadell today at the Dublin Web Summit!

Nest will be available via Electric Ireland from next Wednesday 12th November but the announcement is early due to the Web Summit.

The Nest is free as part of a plan for customers who switch newly to Electric Ireland for both electricity and gas (dual fuel) or electricity alone.

The above offer is also available to existing Electric Ireland customers who sign up for dual fuel.

The Nest is €99 (a reduction of €275 from the RRP of €374 for the thermostat, the stand and the installation) for existing customers of Electric Ireland (with one fuel or dual fuel).

More info here.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Hi Tow,

Yes, Electric Ireland is delighted to team up with Nest, as announced by Nest CEO Tony Fadell today at the Dublin Web Summit!

Nest will be available via Electric Ireland from next Wednesday 12th November but the announcement is early due to the Web Summit.

The Nest is free as part of a plan for customers who switch newly to Electric Ireland for both electricity and gas (dual fuel) or electricity alone.

The above offer is also available to existing Electric Ireland customers who sign up for dual fuel.

The Nest is €99 (a reduction of €275 from the RRP of €374 for the thermostat, the stand and the installation) for existing customers of Electric Ireland with just electricity.

More info here.

Regards,
    Una
    Hi Una I am already on dual fuel, is the offer available to current customers on dual fuel or only those who open new or upgrqde their accounts?

Hi dirtyden,

Thanks for getting in touch. The package with the free Nest (for which direct debit and online billing are required) is just open to customers who switch to Electric Ireland or who upgrade their existing Electric Ireland account.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Hi, I was planning on switching my elecrticity to electric ireland today. If I do may I avail of this offer or should I wait til the 12th
    Thanks

Hi Damian,

Thanks for your interest. To avail of the Nest offer with Electric Ireland, your switch would need to be next Wednesday 12th November as the Nest price-plan becomes available that day. So do give our Sales team a call from next Wednesday onwards on 1850 30 50 90 (it will be possible to avail of the Nest plan online later than 12th November).

In the meantime, have a look at this link regarding Nest/Electric Ireland.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MovieFest

Hey Una
    Will it work with Electric heating (Storage heaters are in almost every Dublin apartment - yuk!) or is it gas heating only? 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So existing dual fuel customers have to pay €99? that does not seem very fair to existing loyal customers...

MovieFest wrote: »
    Hey Una
    Will it work with Electric heating (Storage heaters are in almost every Dublin apartment - yuk!) or is it gas heating only? 

Hi MovieFest,

Thanks for your interest. Just to clarify: the Nest is not just for customers with gas heating, but all who wish to have it installed would just need to have their heating system checked by the installer first to ensure it is compatible with Nest.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Is there an option to have two nest thermostats installed? One upstairs, one downstairs?
    Hi MovieFest,

Thanks for your interest. Just to clarify: the Nest is not just for customers with gas heating, but all who wish to have it installed would just need to have their heating system checked by the installer first to ensure it is compatible with Nest.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Hi Una, this is great news!! I wish I could avail this offer, but I am still in contract with my current supplier.

However, I’d like to upgrade the heating control system with NEST right away to start saving on energy. Is there an option that I can pay Electric Ireland to have it installed or are there any other options? I asked because it seems that few plumbers know what NEST is and how NEST can be installed. This has been holding me back for almost a month.

I look forward to your reply. Thanks.

Hi Tow,

The Nest is €99 (a reduction of €275 from the RRP of €374 for the thermostat, the stand and the installation) for existing customers of Electric Ireland (with one fuel or dual fuel).

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Hi Una

I am already a dual fuel customer, and I'm pretty interested in 2 nest thermostats. I see the 99 euros per unit includes installation. Is there an option to get it without installation ? I have access to a RGII certified plumber who would be quite capable of installing this. If so, is there a price difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Quick question,

Is this a replacement for an existing thermostat OR is this the fitting of a new thermostat where there isn't one already ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Cork Lass, it's both. 
    It can replace an existing thermostat and it can be installed if there isn't an existing thermosatat providing your heating system is capable of running with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

MovieFest wrote: »
    Hey Una

It's not compatible with electric heating unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

Hi Electric Ireland,

My gas contract is with Electric Ireland and has just finished
    If I switch my Electricity (currently airtricity) to Electric Ireland and sign up again with Electric Ireland for the gas am I entitled to a free NEST with installation or am I charged 99 Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭jamesd

I'm interested too, need two though as have one stat upstairs and 1 downstairs- can electric Ireland help with 2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi 782378,

Thanks for your post.
    782378 wrote: »
    My gas contract is with Electric Ireland and has just finished.
    If I switch my Electricity (currently airtricity) to Electric Ireland and sign up again with Electric Ireland for the gas am I entitled to a free NEST with installation or am I charged 99 Euro?

As you would essentially be returning as a new electricity customer, you would be eligible to receive the Nest at no cost.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Hi corklass,
    corklass wrote:
    Is this a replacement for an existing thermostat OR is this the fitting of a new thermostat where there isn't one already ?

Just confirming BioHazRd's answer - yes, the Nest can either replace an existing thermostat or can be installed anew. 

Please note however that the installer will not be able to determine whether your property is eligible for standard installation until they have inspected your central heating system.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I'm a EI dual fuel customer and again an example of existing loyal customers being ignored.

Maybe I should think about moving to another provider to avail of some offer... since loyalty doesn't seem to mean much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

dutopia wrote: »
    I'm a EI dual fuel customer and again an example of existing loyal customers being ignored.

Maybe I should think about moving to another provider to avail of some offer... since loyalty doesn't seem to mean much these days.

€275 discount , hardly being ignored in fairness

• Advertisement

Hi Petertheroadie/jamesd,
    Is there an option to have two nest thermostats installed? One upstairs, one downstairs?
    jamesd wrote:
    I'm interested too, need two though as have one stat upstairs and 1 downstairs- can electric Ireland help with 2 ?

Yes, there is an option to get an additional Nest unit installed for €270. This comes with the benefit of free installation (as you would be getting the other installed free of charge as well).

To book your Nest, you can either email us or ring our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Hi BioHazRd,

Thanks for your message.
    BioHazRd wrote: »
    I am already a dual fuel customer, and I'm pretty interested in 2 nest thermostats. I see the 99 euros per unit includes installation. Is there an option to get it without installation ? I have access to a RGII certified plumber who would be quite capable of installing this. If so, is there a price difference ?

The Nest can't be purchased from Electric Ireland and subsequently self-installed or installed by a third party. We provide free standard installation.

Our standard installation package includes the following:

• A pre-inspection of your central heating system to determine if its is compatible with the Nest Thermostat.
    • Installation of the Nest Thermostat.
    • Where a Nest Stand will make the installation easier, this will be installed.
    • Minimum system set up and demonstration of the Nest Thermostat.
    • Post-installation check to ensure the Nest is working correctly.

If it is found that any additional work is required during the installation the installer will give you a quotation. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    David

Hi icylava,
    icylava wrote:
    I’d like to upgrade the heating control system with NEST right away to start saving on energy. Is there an option that I can pay Electric Ireland to have it installed or are there any other options?

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately we can only offer Nest as part of a price-plan (this includes installation), so it is only freely available - or available at a cost of €99 - to new and existing Electric Ireland customers respectively. 

Please get in touch if you have any other questions. We'll be happy to help.

Thanks,
    David

neacy69 wrote:
    So existing dual fuel customers have to pay €99? that does not seem very fair to existing loyal customers...
    dutopia wrote:

Hi neacy69/dutopia,

We are sorry to hear you feel this way. 

The offer of €99 for existing customers represents an approximate saving of 75% (the Nest plus stand and installation costs would come to €374). 

You can also make significant savings on your heating costs, as Nest is an 'intelligent' device that adapts to your heating habits. 

If there's anything we can help with please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

Hi Petertheroadie/jamesd,
    Originally posted by Petertheroadie
    Originally posted by jamesd

Yes, there is an option to get an additional Nest unit installed for €270. This comes with the benefit of free installation (as you would be getting the other installed free of charge as well).

To book your Nest, you can either email us or ring our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90.

Regards,
    David
    Thanks David  - So that is 2 Nests Installed for a total of €270 , I am an existing customer with you.

Hi jamesd,
    jamesd wrote:
    Thanks David  - So that is 2 Nests Installed for a total of €270 , I am an existing customer with you.

Apologies, I should have been more specific here. It's €270 per additional Nest, so for customers eligible for the free Nest the total would remain at €270. For existing customers who purchase the Nest for the discounted price of €99, the total for two Nests would be €369.

Thanks,
    David

Hi jamesd,
    Originally posted by jamesd

Apologies, I should have been more specific here. It's €270 per additional Nest, so for customers eligible for the free Nest the total would remain at €270. For existing customers who purchase the Nest for the discounted price of €99, the total for two Nests would be €369.

Thanks,
    David
    Thanks David that clear it up, the high cost of the 2nd nest turns me off as I would not mind paying €99 each for 2 of them but having to pay €369 is a bit too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

I have gas and electricity with Bord Gais. Would I only need to transfer one of the two to electric Ireland to absolutely of the Nest deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Regards,
    David
    The nest are retailing for €220 so the installation of the second one costs €50 I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 resistancegav

very interested in this deal. What i cant find is weather the nest can control my second zone which is heating water from the boiler. Its a typical setup found in most new Irish homes. 

Advertisement