Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customers of Electric Ireland to get free Nest thermostats

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

clacks wrote: »
    I have gas and electricity with Bord Gais. Would I only need to transfer one of the two to electric Ireland to absolutely of the Nest deal?
    Hi Clacks,

To avail of the Free Nest, you'd need to switch your electricity account, or both fuel accounts to Electric Ireland. Our Home Services team are contactable on 1850 30 50 85 (Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm). You'll need your MPRN(/GPRN) and current meter reading(s) to hand when switching.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

very interested in this deal. What i cant find is weather the nest can control my second zone which is heating water from the boiler. Its a typical setup found in most new Irish homes. 
    Hi resistancegav,

As your heating and water are controlled in two different zones, your Nest would only control your heating. You can leave your existing control in place for the hot water.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

this is still listed as "coming soon" on electricireland.ie?

17larsson wrote: »
    Yes, there is an option to get an additional Nest unit installed for €270. This comes with the benefit of free installation (as you would be getting the other installed free of charge as well).

To book your Nest, you can either email us or ring our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David
    The nest are retailing for €220 so the installation of the second one costs €50 I assume?
    Hi 17larsson,

The charge will also include a second Nest stand. The rest of the additional cost is the installation time for the second nest but it is hugely reduced due to the fact that the Installer is already at the premises and a lot of the work is common.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

damian139 wrote: »
    this is still listed as "coming soon" on electricireland.ie?
    Hi damian139,

You can now get in touch with our Home Services team on 1850 30 50 85 to discuss the Nest further or place your order. They're contactable directly on this line Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm.

It will be available online from 15th December 2014.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Advertisement

done!!

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

So I just got a callback from the Home Services team, and an interesting nugget of information surfaced that hasn't been mentioned before - if you're an existing customer and sign up for the Nest, the charge is added to your existing bill (which would be expected) but the rep mentioned I'd lose any of my existing discounts, for the 2 year period.

This hasn't been mentioned in any T&C's that I can find...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Spocker wrote: »
    So I just got a callback from the Home Services team, and an interesting nugget of information surfaced that hasn't been mentioned before - if you're and existing customer and sign up for the Nest, the charge is added to your existing bill (which would be expected) but the rep mention I'd lose any of my existing discounts, for the 2 year period.

This hasn't been mentioned in any T&C's that I can find...
    That's a stinger in the tail. So you lose the gas and electricity discount worth 12% each or €272 * 2 for two years which is twice the cost of the Nest!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Hi resistancegav,

As your heating and water are controlled in two different zones, a second Nest thermostat would be required. If you're an existing customer the cost would be €99 for the first and €270 for the second Nest.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

The nest doesn't control hot water

17larsson wrote: »
    Hi resistancegav,

As your heating and water are controlled in two different zones, a second Nest thermostat would be required. If you're an existing customer the cost would be €99 for the first and €270 for the second Nest.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

The nest doesn't control hot water
    Hi 17larsson,

Thank you for getting in touch. You are correct, apologies for any confusion. I have corrected my reply above to resistancegav. 

To clarify, if you have separate controls for your heating and your hot water, Nest can control the heating zone but you will need to leave your existing hot water controls in place.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Spocker and Tow,

If you sign up for the Nest offer, yes, this does require ending any existing price-plan you are availing of, as the Nest offer is another, separate price-plan.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

So Una does this mean anybody signing up as a new customer will be paying your standard unit rate?

Hi bootser,

Yes, customers who switch to Electric Ireland (and existing Electric Ireland electricity customers who sign up for Dual Fuel) to avail of the Nest thermostat and installation at no cost would pay the standard electricity/gas unit rate once the Nest plan is applied for them, for the duration of the contract.

Regards,
    Una

Hi bootser,

Yes, customers who switch to Electric Ireland (and existing Electric Ireland electricity customers who sign up for Dual Fuel) to avail of the Nest thermostat and installation at no cost would pay the standard electricity/gas unit rate once the Nest plan is applied for them, for the duration of the contract.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks to the poster who raised this- so I converted on the 12 th, was advised of 15% off and to anticipate a further 2.5% cut imminently. How does this compare financially per annum with the nest package, for the average consumer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Hi Tow,

Yes, Electric Ireland is delighted to team up with Nest, as announced by Nest CEO Tony Fadell today at the Dublin Web Summit!

Nest will be available via Electric Ireland from next Wednesday 12th November but the announcement is early due to the Web Summit.

The Nest is free as part of a plan for customers who switch newly to Electric Ireland for both electricity and gas (dual fuel) or electricity alone.

The above offer is also available to existing Electric Ireland customers who sign up for dual fuel.

The Nest is €99 (a reduction of €275 from the RRP of €374 for the thermostat, the stand and the installation) for existing customers of Electric Ireland (with one fuel or dual fuel).

More info here.

Regards,
    Una
    So much for customer loyalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi damian139
    damian139 wrote:
    Thanks to the poster who raised this- so I converted on the 12 th, was advised of 15% off and to anticipate a further 2.5% cut imminently. How does this compare financially per annum with the nest package, for the average consumer

The Nest Learning Thermostat offer amounts to a saving of €374, when you factor in the thermostat, stand and installation costs. Our most competitive dual-fuel price-plan currently offers average annual savings of €272 as against our standard rates.

You can find more information on our existing price plans here. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Hi David,

I was just about to reply to an email from EI to setup a new account and to avail of the Nest thermostat.

Looking at the tariffs applicable to the Nest type contract, the urban standing charge looks to be €38.25 per month? Is this correct?

It seems that the normal valuesaver price plan has a standing charge of €139.61 per year.

Dave

Hi davkav,

Thanks for your post.
    davkav wrote:
    Looking at the tariffs applicable to the Nest type contract, the urban standing charge looks to be €38.25 per month? Is this correct?

Our standing charge remains the same irrespective of the specific price plan a customer is signed up to. The only determining factors for a customer's standing charge are:
    • Whether they are classified as Urban or Rural
    • Whether they are on a 24hr or Nightsaver tariff
    • Whether they use less than 2 units per day on average, in the case of the low user standing charge

Can I ask where you saw the figure of €38.25 per month?
    davkav wrote:
    It seems that the normal valuesaver price plan has a standing charge of €139.61 per year.

Yes, €139.61 (incl. VAT @ 13.5%) is the annual standing charge for an urban customer on a 24hr tariff (€123.01 excl. VAT). For more info on our rates and price plans see here.

If you have any other questions do let us know.

Thanks,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Hmm.  This won't apply to everyone of course, but for my usage (~18800kwh Gas [5000kwh higher than the national average], 3550kwh Electricity [300kwh higher than the national average), it seems that the price plan the Nest is offered under would cost me an additional ~€300/year over the cost of the current cheapest offer from another provide (energia in this case) and €200/year over the cheapest Electric Ireland plan (Dual Valuesaver w/ direct debit & online billing).

This means that over 2 years the Nest would cost me €600.  I can purchase the Nest directly from Nest/Google for €219 and either install it myself or have someone install it for far cheaper than the Electric Ireland offer.

What gives?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Cond0r wrote:
    Hmm.  This won't apply to everyone of course, but for my usage (~18800kwh Gas [5000kwh higher than the national average], 3550kwh Electricity [300kwh higher than the national average), it seems that the price plan the Nest is offered under would cost me an additional ~€300/year over the cost of the current cheapest offer from another provide (energia in this case) and €200/year over the cheapest Electric Ireland plan (Dual Valuesaver w/ direct debit & online billing).

This means that over 2 years the Nest would cost me €600.  I can purchase the Nest directly from Nest/Google for €219 and either install it myself or have someone install it for far cheaper than the Electric Ireland offer.

What gives?

Hi Cond0r,

Thanks for your post.

We understand that the Nest offer will not suit all customers equally. If your usage is well above the national average, it would make more sense to avail of discounts based on a certain percentage off units used.

It is really a case of offering a greater range of choice for customers, and in the case of our Nest Thermostat and Climote price plans in particular, smarter control over energy usage, which in turn can lead to additional savings.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Hi yuloni,

Thanks for your post.
    yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    We currently offer both Climote and the Nest Thermostat as part of price plans. Customers switching to Electric Ireland for either of these price plans would pay our standard unit rate, and receive the devices free of charge.*

The following points give an overview of how the units compare:

Nest Thermostat
    • Simple to use
    • Wi-fi dependent
    • Single zone control
    • Self Learning
    • No ongoing license fee
    • Energy usage reports via apps.

Climote
    • Simple app interface
    • Mobile connectivity
    • Controls up to three zones
    • Yearly license fee
    • Online usage stats
    • Simple timed boost/hold buttons

Hope this helps. For more info, call our Home Services team on 1850 30 50 85.

Thanks,
    David

* The Nest Thermostat price plan also includes free installation, whereas Climote installation would cost €99.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Hi davkav,

Thanks for your post.
    Originally posted by davkav

Our standing charge remains the same irrespective of the specific price plan a customer is signed up to. The only determining factors for a customer's standing charge are:
    • Whether they are classified as Urban or Rural
    • Whether they are on a 24hr or Nightsaver tariff
    • Whether they use less than 2 units per day on average, in the case of the low user standing charge

[*]

Can I ask where you saw the figure of €38.25 per month?
    Originally posted by davkav

Yes, €139.61 (incl. VAT @ 13.5%) is the annual standing charge for an urban customer on a 24hr tariff (€123.01 excl. VAT). For more info on our rates and price plans see here.

If you have any other questions do let us know.

Thanks,
    David
    [*]
    David,

The €38.25 per month was taken from the PDF the nest team for EI sent me.

PDF titled PP-Nest-ExistingDualFuel.pdf

Dave

Hi Dave,

Can you private message us which email address and person it came from so we can check into it?

Thanks and regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭animha

I cannot see where the unit rates are on the nest offer for new customers in both years 1 and 2 and what the standard charges will be.

Hi animha,

Is your electricity meter a 24-hour one or a day/night meter?

Are you enquiring about gas as well as electricity?

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement